Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kinda strange but I noticed that Sony hasen't been updating there video drivers for my notebook or for notebooks that have Intel HD since last year. The latest driver date I have is 7/19/2010. So it's been a year since they updated the driver but is that ok and normal? Basicly there hasen't been new updates on the video card since then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did get a new Sony computer for my boyfriend that is like mine and it is little faster than mine since it's newer and costed $600 like mine also. But that computer has the same driver and date as mine since it also has Intel HD. But the computer is basicly the same as mine just has bigger hard drive and little faster CPU just 133mHz faster but the same i3 type his is i3 - 380M I think from what I remember.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
The drivers only normally get updated for a short while after release, once they are stable they normally keep the one version instead of updating anymore.
 

·
Overclocked
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
I don't see a problem with it? as long as you don't have stability problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does that that my video driver is the latest and haven't been changed since a year agao? I assume that since Sony doesn't have an later version that this is the best driver and works for any games fine meaning it's patched and everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya Sony did made the original driver and then updated and that's it. So 2 drivers total. So it looks like the same as most people so that's good. So I guess I have the best drivers for my Intel HD that's great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
since you have an Intel HD gfx processor any updates are going to come from intel, not sony.

also wanted to note that Sony doesnt write the actual drivers, they just post the drivers the hardware manufacturer has available. You'll want to get any updates from the manufacturer, but most updates will come through Win 7
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I thought you guys said that the current driver I had is the best since it's stable. Also Sony said that they always update there drivers to the latest and if you don't see any then there is no update. So that means for a year there hasen't been updates for the Intel HD. Apparently it's the best it can get already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke
View Post

But I thought you guys said that the current driver I had is the best since it's stable. Also Sony said that they always update there drivers to the latest and if you don't see any then there is no update. So that means for a year there hasen't been updates for the Intel HD. Apparently it's the best it can get already.

run windows update and if there aren't any for your hardware you are ok. Also there aren't many updates for Intel's integrated gfx chips because they really arent needed to improve performance because they aren't used for mainstream gaming - as opposed to AMD or Nvidia chips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actualy Intel said that the Intel HD is designed for mainstream games and other stuff you do on the computer I remember on the video that tells about the video card that is in the new i3, i5, i7 processors. Also I remember reading that the Intel HD is a entry level dedicated card and is for mainstream gaming.

Btw there is no update for the video card on Windows updates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I remember Sony saying that they get the drivers from Intel so what they have is the latest. But I guess that means that Intel hasn't updated for a long time so that's why Sony hasen't eather. So that means that the driver I have must be the best so that's good.
 

·
Overclocked
Joined
·
3,954 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So most companies don't update there drives on there website? But will these drivers work fine? I just wonder that if my Sony notebook is OEM and if it is will the generic drivers from Intel work fine? Also will they be better overall?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke
View Post

Actualy Intel said that the Intel HD is designed for mainstream games and other stuff you do on the computer I remember on the video that tells about the video card that is in the new i3, i5, i7 processors. Also I remember reading that the Intel HD is a entry level dedicated card and is for mainstream gaming.

Btw there is no update for the video card on Windows updates.

The Intel HD series GPUs are not dedicated GPUs because they do not have their own memory. They are integrated gpus that share RAM with the CPU. They do not have the processing power dedicated GPUs have and are not as effective at playing mainstream games
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actualy the Intel HD graphics has 128mb of dedicated ram it says on my system. The rest are shared memory from my system. I know forsure that 128mb is dedicated ram. That's probley why Intel says that this card is like a entry level dedicated card and can play mainstream games.

But eatherway is it ok to install generic drivers from Intel.com? Will I have any problems doing this? Or should I use OEM drivers meaning from Sony only?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke
View Post

Actualy the Intel HD graphics has 128mb of dedicated ram it says on my system. The rest are shared memory from my system. I know forsure that 128mb is dedicated ram. That's probley why Intel says that this card is like a entry level dedicated card and can play mainstream games.

But eatherway is it ok to install generic drivers from Intel.com? Will I have any problems doing this? Or should I use OEM drivers meaning from Sony only?

Thanks

From Intel's website: http://www.intel.com/support/graphic...90.htm#howmuch

Quote:


How much graphics memory does my computer have?
Intel graphics do not have dedicated memory but utilizes some of the computer's system memory. The amount of memory used for graphics may be a fixed amount or may vary up to a maximum amount. It depends on if your computer manufacturer has configured your computer to use a fixed amount, a dynamic amount (varying up to a maximum amount), or a combination of both fixed and dynamic amounts of graphics memory.

As far as drivers they all come from Intel so yes they would be ok
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,520 Posts
Hmm this raises a good question. My Asus laptop in sig, using the 425m has a driver dated back to july last year. Asus has no updated drivers for my gfx, and the nvidia website recommends obtaining the driver from the manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That info that is talking about Intel doesn't have dedicated ram is for the older versions like the Intel X4500MHD or older. But the newer Intel HD has 128mb of dedicated ram forsure. I talked to Intel tech guys and they said the new Intel HD has 128mb dedicated ram. Now I didn't ask them about the more current Intel HD 2000 or 3000 but I know that the Intel HD has dedicated ram. It also says on my system specs about my video card and says it has 128mb of dedicated ram and it says 1623mb is shared ram. So total of ram I have both with dedicated ram and shared I have 1751mb.

My computer doesn't lie about specs. I am reading what it says.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top