Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Networking Nerd
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I have a friend using really old software that is no longer in production and I cannot get a hold of the creators. He just upgraded his computer and he has the install disk with the key code but the install files on the disk are corrupted. I was looking through the software's files on his old computer and I found an install log which details where the program files go, which DLL's are installed where and which reg keys were created.

I was wondering if it was possible to install this software on the new computer by copying the program files and DLL's and putting them where they need to be and creating a script to create all the reg keys. Is this possible?

Here's an example of the reg keys created according to the install log.

Code:

Code:
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Access Runtime\8.0\Profiles
RegDB Val: SOFTWARE\program\program
RegDB Name: program
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\Profiles
RegDB Val: SOFTWARE\program\program
RegDB Name: program
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\program\program
RegDB Val: 
RegDB Name: Speller
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\program\program\Run-Time Options
RegDB Val: 
RegDB Name: AppHelpFile
RegDB Root: 2
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

Hi so I have a friend using really old software that is no longer in production and I cannot get a hold of the creators. He just upgraded his computer and he has the install disk with the key code but the install files on the disk are corrupted. I was looking through the software's files on his old computer and I found an install log which details where the program files go, which DLL's are installed where and which reg keys were created.

I was wondering if it was possible to install this software on the new computer by copying the program files and DLL's and putting them where they need to be and creating a script to create all the reg keys. Is this possible?

Here's an example of the reg keys created according to the install log.

Code:

Code:
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Access Runtime\8.0\Profiles
RegDB Val: SOFTWARE\program\program
RegDB Name: program
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\Profiles
RegDB Val: SOFTWARE\program\program
RegDB Name: program
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\program\program
RegDB Val: 
RegDB Name: Speller
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: SOFTWARE\program\program\Run-Time Options
RegDB Val: 
RegDB Name: AppHelpFile
RegDB Root: 2
If you are confident you can replicate everything the original installer did then MAYBE its possible. You will need to copy all the files into the right places, insert all the right registry keys and values... And also register those DLL's on the system.

All of the above can be done by means of a Batch file with simple command line scripting.

But it might not work if the installer inserted custom information into anything, or generated an installation ID based on the system and the license key.

Up to you if its worth the time and effort.

In my eyes, if software you are dependant on is out of development now and no longer supported then you need to change your ways and use something else.
 

·
Networking Nerd
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post

If you are confident you can replicate everything the original installer did then MAYBE its possible. You will need to copy all the files into the right places, insert all the right registry keys and values... And also register those DLL's on the system.

All of the above can be done by means of a Batch file with simple command line scripting.

But it might not work if the installer inserted custom information into anything, or generated an installation ID based on the system and the license key.

Up to you if its worth the time and effort.

In my eyes, if software you are dependant on is out of development now and no longer supported then you need to change your ways and use something else.
Agreed. There are hundreds of lines in the install log and like you said, there is no guarantee it'll work. He's currently considering newer software that will work for him.

Thanks for the reply.
 

·
Overclocker
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Totally.

At least you can always make a VM out of the old machine install.

Most programs only need a copy of the files and an export/import of their registry subfolder. Though there are some crappy behemoths that make portability a real pain and spread everything in so many folder and reg folders you will never find it all.
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Totally.

At least you can always make a VM out of the old machine install.

Most programs only need a copy of the files and an export/import of their registry subfolder. Though there are some crappy behemoths that make portability a real pain and spread everything in so many folder and reg folders you will never find it all.
Making a VM out of the old machine is a good option.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top