Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a thread similar to this a while back asking if an ultra 400w v-series was good enough to run a system that contains a q9550 overclocked to 3.6ghz with a s1283 cooler, an 8600gt and a case with 5 led fans.

I decided that I didnt't want to risk it so I found another power supply from thermaltake rated at 430w:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9575&CatId=106

I also found a power up 550w for a similar price:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7022&CatId=106 but i assume you guys wouldn't recomend it.

Would either of these power supplies be good enough. Also, please don't recommend me another power supply that isn't from tigerdirect and is not at a similar price (I have store credit and I want to get rid of it).

Fyi: I just want the power supply to work because I'm giving this computer to my sister and She won't be upgrading it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hs101 View Post
I have posted a thread similar to this a while back asking if an ultra 400w v-series was good enough to run a system that contains a q9550 overclocked to 3.6ghz with a s1283 cooler, an 8600gt and a case with 5 led fans.

I decided that I didnt't want to risk it so I found another power supply from thermaltake rated at 430w:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9575&CatId=106

I also found a power up 550w for a similar price:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7022&CatId=106 but i assume you guys wouldn't recomend it.

Would either of these power supplies be good enough. Also, please don't recommend me another power supply that isn't from tigerdirect and is not at a similar price (I have store credit and I want to get rid of it).

Fyi: I just want the power supply to work because I'm giving this computer to my sister and She won't be upgrading it.
You are right: there is no way that I would recommend that 550W. I wouldn't let anyone else recommend it either. For the love of your computer, DO NOT GET IT!

Anyway, the 400W that you have should be more than enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanderDylan View Post
the 550W would be your best bet. Surprisingly, 500W PSU's are quite powerful! You'd be surprised.
Are you insane? It's a $20 550W PSU! That's just asking for a disaster! Nobody should ever use a generic PSU - EVER. This is especially true for a system that's being overclocked.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
PSU is one of the most important, yet most overlooked piece of HW. It has the ability to destroy everything it is connected to. Besides that, it is the key to stability when OCing.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
The Tt 430W is actually an old 300W unit with only 18A on the 12V. It's not really adequate for an OCed quad and a 8600gt. It'll run but you should really look elsewhere.

I don't know much about that Power-up, but I have my doubts it can handle anywhere near 550W. It would also probably run the computer, but quality is very questionable. This would be the best choice. It is a decent CWT built unit. It's certainly better than any of those options, including that Wintech built POS Ultra.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k
View Post

The Tt 430W is actually an old 300W unit with only 18A on the 12V. It's not really adequate for an OCed quad and a 8600gt. It'll run but you should really look elsewhere.

I don't know much about that Power-up, but I have my doubts it can handle anywhere near 550W. It would also probably run the computer, but quality is very questionable. This would be the best choice. It is a decent CWT built unit. It's certainly better than only of those options, including that Wintec built POS Ultra.

But what about his current 400W?

And may I remind everyone that the 550W linked is a $20 550W psu? It's a generic PSU, and it should be avoided at all costs.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

But what about his current 400W?

And may I remind everyone that the 550W linked is a $20 550W psu? It's a generic PSU, and it should be avoided at all costs.

The V-series is from Wintech. They are usually peak rated at 25C with questionable build quality. 400W is quite optimisitic.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k
View Post

The V-series is from Wintech. They are usually peak rated at 25C with questionable build quality. 400W is quite optimisitic.

Oh, ok. So then it can't handle the rig?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hs101
View Post

wait what about this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...834&CatId=1078

I'm almost certain this is the best option of the 3.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy a 460W with price that low. To me, that just says "I am a disaster waiting to happen".

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy a 460W with price that low. To me, that just says "I am a disaster waiting to happen".

But it's still a cooler master. It should be an at least somewhat decent power supply which is all i want.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hs101
View Post

wait what about this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...834&CatId=1078

I'm almost certain this is the best option of the 3.

It's an old FSP design. It's better than the Ultra, Power Up and the Tt, but I would take the OCZ over it.

Quote:

View Post

Oh, ok. So then it can't handle the rig?

Like the others it would probably run it, but build quality and longevity are huge issues.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I agree with TwoCables wholeheartedly. DON'T cheap out on the PSU. A Corsair CX400W or VX450W would be a very good choice. I would not spend less than $40 on a PSU for that system.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
I like the 400CX and all, but it's just a low end Seasonic. Group regulation, single layer PCB, 85C caps *edit- just the primary cap has been downgraded, but it doesn't really matter* , it's pretty much identical to the Seasonic built Earthwatts and the low watt PC Power Silencers. It's nothing special. The OCZ I linked to is a CWT DSA of comparable build quality. The only thing different is that the warranty is a bit shorter, but it is much cheaper.

edit- And the cx400 uses OST caps on the secondary, not exactly top shelf.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
I agree with TwoCables wholeheartedly. DON'T cheap out on the PSU. A Corsair CX400W or VX450W would be a very good choice. I would not spend less than $40 on a PSU for that system.
And the reasn why a 460w cooler master elite power supply is not good enough because...

The corsair is better and I know that but I asked for something that would run my systerm without blowing up and I don't need the corsair to do that.

Thank you guys for trying to help me but I think you guys are recommended corsair power supplies without even realising what exactly I'm looking for which is a cheap power supply that isn't crap (and the cooler master elite seems to fit that bill for $20).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hs101 View Post
And the reasn why a 460w cooler master elite power supply is not good enough because...

Obviously the corsair is better and I know that but I asked for something that would run my systerm without blowing up and I don't need the corsair to do that. I'm almost certain the 460w cooler master would be more than adequte.

Thank you guys for trying to help me but I think you guys are recommended corsair power supplies without even realising what exactly I'm looking for. A cheap power supply that isn't crap (and the cooler master elite seems to fit that bill for $20).
But it's not advisable to overclock with cheaper PSUs like this.

• Rep+
Reactions: hs101
1 - 20 of 38 Posts