Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can anyone send me a link from newegg from a 1 gig stick that is similar enought o my ram for it to run at optimum level?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I don't think you can really get the "same" memory in different sizes.

You can get the same manufacturer and the same speed, but the 512 stick and the 1 gig stick are built very differently. They may both be the same "Line" as in Platium, Extreme, ValueRam...ect, but they are still different. You can try to get the same memory modules as in TCCD, BH-5...ect, but that would be it.

I am pretty sure that those memory sticks would all work just fine together. You realize you can't run dual channel or any thing like that with that setup.

That brings up some thing in my head...does single channel memory even "work togther". It only works with the mother board. I don't think it matters what kind of memory you mix together as long as it is all the same speeds.

Unless you are going for overclocking...then it really shouldn't matter as long as you have the same memory modules on each stick. And the more memory sticks you add...the less your OC will be.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm

I don't think you can really get the "same" memory in different sizes.

You can get the same manufacturer and the same speed, but the 512 stick and the 1 gig stick are built very differently.

I am pretty sure that those memory sticks would all work just fine together. You realize you can't run dual channel or any thing like that with that setup.

Exactly. They might be using different ICs as well.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
that RAM isn't the same. if you want the same RAM you'll need to get another of the exact same kits or a single 512mb stick.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra

Exactly. They might be using different ICs as well.

I guarantee they use different IC's 1gb sticks have to use much denser IC's to fit1gb on a stick.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know what IC's are
, but my question is will i be alright and better off with buying that extra gig there? or is there another stick i should get?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
you would be best off getting rid of your 2x512mb and get 2x1gb.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know that, but the thing is i RMA'd somethign back to a site, and the money was on my friends parents credit card and they want me to spend the money now and i dont have any extra money to put towards.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Bumber... the 2x1G is the best route.
Look for RAM with the same timings if you get a 1G.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
sell your 2x512mb and you should have enough for a decent 2gb kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts