Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Currently case less at the moment (temporary). Is this ok that the graphics card sits on an angle like this?

66157272.jpg

78777984.jpg

58535128.jpg

And this is what it looks like when I add support to it

54751035.jpg

Don't want it to become a dangerous issue, got this GTX580 2 hours ago

Is it putting to much pressure on the slot or the card itself?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
What do YOU think?

I've run cards like that for a few days, but I would not recommend it long term, especially with heavy cards.

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
HELL YA TAKE THAT OFF, or at least att some supports to it (tape, cardboard, wood, something to keep it from putting ALL of its pressure on its bridge and the MOBO.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It should be fine. Maybe make your PCIe power cables go on the other side of the card so they pull it vertical.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soon as I saw the replies I pretty much piss bolted to my room and fix'd it. I got the power connectors to the gfx card and moved the cord over so it pulls up the card vertical and supports it. Cheers for fast replies
biggrin.gif

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
That is how I run my cards when benching but it is always good to support your card. with it leaning it doesn't allow for proper connect with the PCIe slot and also puts stress on said slot (though they are made to take a good amount).

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredzy;11919528
Soon as I saw the replies I pretty much piss bolted to my room and fix'd it. I got the power connectors to the gfx card and moved the cord over so it pulls up the card vertical and supports it. Cheers for fast replies
biggrin.gif
Man, it's not like it was gonna asplode lol. But I think it's for the best if you keep it supported as best you can until you get a case.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfajita
View Post

It should be fine. Maybe make your PCIe power cables go on the other side of the card so they pull it vertical.

that's what i was going to suggest

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Your just fine. I run my computer on the mobo box. The card stays still if you don't mess with it and doesn't cause any problems.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Theoretically you are okay. But, you have put yourself in a position for just a bump into your computer to possible seriously jar the card (and worse, damage it). I would hold it up with cardboard or something just to be safe.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
biggrin.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts