1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0323771

I am assuming yes.. since it says
"PCI Express Graphics SLI/Crossfire Mode x8, x8 "
Just need to make sure. Planning on getting a second gtx 470 sometime in the near future.

And also..

PCI Express Graphics Default (Single VGA) Mode x16, x8
PCI Express Graphics Expansion Slot (2) PCI Express 2.0 x16 Graphics Slots
PCI Express Graphics SLI/Crossfire Mode x8, x8

Does this mean that running two would cut the power in half for each of them? That makes it look like it would make no difference than running a single 470

EDIT: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0334892

This looks like it runs both at 16x in SLI/Crossfire mode. Looks like I may want to get a better Mobo in the future before I SLI?

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW View Post
Only crossfire
But apparently SLI also works now because of the drivers and stuff.. though it's not confirmed for all motherboards... still, it beats having to use rubbish NVIDIA chipsets

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
It only OFFICIALLY supports Crossfire. However there is an SLI hack out, that you can use to install SLI on a non-SLI board. So, yes...you COULD SLI on any board, as long as it has 2x PCIe lanes.

8x / 8x in multi-GPU mode just means that the slots will become 8x instead of 16x. Even with a GTX480 or HD5970, going from 16x to 8x PCIe won't make a HUGE difference. Adding the second card will make more of a difference that you'll lose by going to 8x. It's still worth it to SLI / Crossfire...if you need that much power.

• Rep+
Reactions: tw1ztid

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razi3l View Post
But apparently SLI also works now because of the drivers and stuff.. though it's not confirmed for all motherboards... still, it beats having to use rubbish NVIDIA chipsets

I've tried looking, but have found nothing on getting to be able to use SLI through updates for my mobo. Still looking though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage View Post
if you want the sli patch i have it i would just need to know what OS you have

but im bottle necking my cpu with only 2 8800GT's so 2 9800gtx would see no increase
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

I'm about to pick up a gtx 470, will be picking another up in the future.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage
View Post

a single 470 would bottleneck a 955 at 4ghz
sli would be useless

.. Really? Damn.

What would I need.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
2 GTX 470s are slightly bottlenecked by a 955 or 965 at ~4 Ghz. Capwn got 77 FPS on Heaven Benchmark with 2 GTX 470s and a AMD quad, while I got 88.6 with the same 2 cards and my i7.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage
View Post

a new computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW
View Post

2 GTX 470s are slightly bottlenecked by a 955 or 965 at ~4 Ghz. Capwn got 77 FPS on Heaven Benchmark with 2 GTX 470s and a AMD quad, while I got 88.6 with the same 2 cards and my i7.

Alright, it is slight, but still there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts