Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I wouldn't trust it. There are guys you can go to that sell keys (not going to say where or who) for rather cheap. Then all you have to do is get an ISO.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

I wouldn't trust it. There are guys you can go to that sell keys (not going to say where or who) for rather cheap. Then all you have to do is get an ISO.

99% guaranteed to be MSDN keys which you aren't supposed to sell, and will most likely get disabled within a year.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Not legit at all.
Just think about it

S'up to you though

"If your key does not work within 3 days - you'll be issued a new key" - bollocks; if my key did not work I would call the very-easy-to-use toll-free number @ Microsoft and get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000
View Post

99% guaranteed to be MSDN keys which you aren't supposed to sell, and will most likely get disabled within a year.

Yep, I bet they are MSDN keys.

MSDN keys don't expire, though. You can join for a year, grab all the .ISOs and keys you want, let your subscription expire, and continue using them to your heart's content. Just gotta remember that they're not to be used for anything other than software development or testing, though. In other words, you can't host your company's website on a box running an MSDN copy of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newphase
View Post

Not legit at all.
Just think about it

S'up to you though

"If your key does not work within 3 days - you'll be issued a new key" - bollocks; if my key did not work I would call the very-easy-to-use toll-free number @ Microsoft and get it sorted.

If you did that, you'd get a nice person on the other end of the phone telling you to pound sand since the key isn't to be sold.

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dogg
View Post

Yep, I bet they are MSDN keys.

MSDN keys don't expire, though. You can join for a year, grab all the .ISOs and keys you want, let your subscription expire, and continue using them to your heart's content. Just gotta remember that they're not to be used for anything other than software development or testing, though. In other words, you can't host your company's website on a box running an MSDN copy of Windows Server 2008 R2

MS has been disabling keys from misused MSDN accounts lately. If you get the keys from ebay, it's only a matter of time. If you know a guy, he might be doing it small enough to not get noticed. Either way it's wrong and a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000
View Post

MS has been disabling keys from misused MSDN accounts lately. If you get the keys from ebay, it's only a matter of time. If you know a guy, he might be doing it small enough to not get noticed. Either way it's wrong and a bad idea.

Ahh when you put it that way, disabling the keys makes sense. But if you're a legit MSDN member and not misusing your keys, they don't expire.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dogg
View Post

If you did that, you'd get a nice person on the other end of the phone telling you to pound sand since the key isn't to be sold.

you kinda missed my point; that if the key was legit there would be no way on earth that it would be available for that price... ho hum

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez
View Post

His contact email is [email protected](dot)de. Classy.

exactly...

case solved

/thread

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just visited a guy who was selling a supposed new build on craigslist, he swore the Win 7 Ult was a legal although he didn't have the disk or product key sticker, after further questioning he admitted he got the key from a friend who works in a PC shop, but still claimed it was all legal and above board. I visited him & made him verify as a legal through Microsoft, I found an online link to check for genuine. When he did so, it deleted the key he was using & guess what, not genuine, it was real funny, so not only did not by the PC, he found out real fast the key was bogus, I'm thinking it may have been a MSDN key, whatever it was it was not genuine.

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cvalley75
View Post

I just visited a guy who was selling a supposed new build on craigslist, he swore the Win 7 Ult was a legal although he didn't have the disk or product key sticker, after further questioning he admitted he got the key from a friend who works in a PC shop, but still claimed it was all legal and above board. I visited him & made him verify as a legal through Microsoft, I found an online link to check for genuine. When he did so, it deleted the key he was using & guess what, not genuine, it was real funny, so not only did not by the PC, he found out real fast the key was bogus, I'm thinking it may have been a MSDN key, whatever it was it was not genuine.

Not having the sticker already guaranteed it's not legit, as the sticker is a requirement to sell a PC with windows installed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
Not having the sticker already guaranteed it's not legit, as the sticker is a requirement to sell a PC with windows installed.
Yup, the whole deal stunk from the get go, the guy had 2 different rigs he was selling, soon after i visited him they dissapeared from craiglist, he seemed a bit shocked that the OS wasn't legit, said he was going to call MS & get it staightened out, I can imagine how that conversation went.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by stupidcha
View Post

No... getting Windows 7 Professional for $30 @ http://www.microsoft.com/student/off...s/default.aspx

It's an upgrade but you can still do a clean install

FYI you need an .edu email

i wish the problem is this is for a brand new rig...s o i wont be able to upgrade.

ok so we figured out the fact that its not legit specaily after the e-mail address lol. So now the question is whats the most cost effective way of getting it?

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadon4sho
View Post

i wish the problem is this is for a brand new rig...s o i wont be able to upgrade.

ok so we figured out the fact that its not legit specially after the e-mail address lol. So now the question is whats the most cost effective way of getting it?

OEM off newegg or something. Windows' price doesn't really vary that much, since it's controlled by MS. If it's significantly cheaper then MS sells it for, then it's not legit basically.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts