Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a htpc/nas running 24/7. I want to run something like Plex Server for transcoding on the fly to chromecast. Also I'm exploring different options like mediabrowser and kodi as htpc interface, but I think transcoding is going to be the deciding factor on which cpu to choose. I'd also like to run xampp for hobby web development. I am already using Deluge and would like to install it on the htpc/nas to be accesed from my android phone deluge client.
I haven't decided on the OS yet, but I'm leaning towards a slimmed down windows 7 Im more familiar with opposed to linux based OSes.

For now I want a 1TB hdd. I will be building a media library from scratch and this will be enough to get started. Future upgrades will be switching to raid1 for redundancy and raid10 for the added speed. I am not familiar yet with raids, I need to consider getting a hardware based raid controller instead of the one on the mobo?

I wont play games on the htpc. 1080p playback and transcoding in high bitrate are minimum requirements. Will also use it for office work.

EDIT: went for low power pentium in the end. also removed secondary hdd as Ill be aiming for a high volume ssd in the near future.
This is my current shoppingcart. I feel like it's going to be too much but I might be wrong:
Intel Pentium G3420
MSI Z97I AC
Enermax Triathlor 300w
G.Skill 8gb dual channel 1866 cl8 1.5v
WD Red 1tb 2.5" sata600 1.4w read/write
Hdd os: wd scorpio blue 160gb 2.5" sata300 1.4w read/write 45.51usd
CM Hyper 212 evo
Aerocool ds 120mm x3
Raijintek Metis red windowed /w ds red fan installed

The total cost for this build is 656.16usd 611.47usd

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxScaevolAxX View Post

I want to build a htpc/nas running 24/7. I want to run something like Plex Server for transcoding on the fly to chromecast. Also I'm exploring different options like mediabrowser and kodi as htpc interface, but I think transcoding is going to be the deciding factor on which cpu to choose. I'd also like to run xampp for hobby web development. I am already using Deluge and would like to install it on the htpc/nas to be accesed from my android phone deluge client.
I haven't decided on the OS yet, but I'm leaning towards a slimmed down windows 7 Im more familiar with opposed to linux based OSes.

For now I want a 1TB hdd. I will be building a media library from scratch and this will be enough to get started. Future upgrades will be switching to raid1 for redundancy and raid10 for the added speed. I am not familiar yet with raids, I need to consider getting a hardware based raid controller instead of the one on the mobo?

I wont play games on the htpc. 1080p playback and transcoding in high bitrate are minimum requirements. Will also use it for office work.

This is my current shoppingcart. I feel like it's going to be too much but I might be wrong:
Cpu: AMD A6-7400K
Mobo: msi a88xi ac 112.18usd
Psu: Seasonic SS-300ET
Ram: kingston hyper x fury red 2x4gb 1866 non ecc cl10 1.5v 99.09 usd
Hdd storage: wd red 1tb 2.5" sata600 1.4w read/write 84.15usd
Hdd os: wd scorpio blue 160gb 2.5" sata300 1.4w read/write 45.51usd
Hs: Cooler Master Hyper T2
Hsf: None
Case: raijintek metis red windowed with same ds red fan installed 57.96usd

The total cost for this build is 656.16usd as is and I dont want to exceed this.
I'd say yes. Any board will do, so take a look around and get the cheapest one with what you want., you don't need a 5700 for HTPC duty, I'm using a 6400K right now and its perfect. For a CPU cooler, get something like a hyper T2, since these chips at stock don't need a 212. I've highlighted my suggestions in bold, and edited your list.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot already. The cpu nets me almost 30usd. I cant find the 300es psu though and now im opting for a modular be quiet system power 7 semimodular psu that will help aesthetics aswell . Also for aesthetic reasons I will keep my fans or atleast use them in another rig.
Will undervolting and using dual fans on low rpm on a good heatsink not create a better soundprofile with same or better temps?

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:

Thanks a lot already. The cpu nets me almost 30usd. I cant find the 300es psu though and now im opting for a modular be quiet system power 7 semimodular psu that will help aesthetics aswell . Also for aesthetic reasons I will keep my fans or atleast use them in another rig.
Will undervolting and using dual fans on low rpm on a good heatsink not create a better soundprofile with same or better temps?
It won't make a difference with this chip. Do not buy based on aesthetics. From experience I can tell you, you'll end up not caring all that much.

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:

Yeah Im getting carried away a bit, the psu is way cheaper than my previous one though!
Assuming its gonna be used like my definition of HTPC (music, 1080p video, YouTube, web browsing) you should go for the absolute cheapest that willbdo that. A lot of people do light gaming in HTPCs, so that's why I recommended the A6 instead of an AM1 setup

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seriously considered buying the power efficient AM1 platform or even intel bay trail, but Im planning on using plex server for on the fly transcoding of 1080p DTS movies. Ive read on their forums that a passmark score of 2k will be able to stream one video and for each additional stream another 2k is added to the recommended score. The 7400k got an average of 3k so this will give me some headroom as I will not be the only one using it at times.

Does this make any sense?

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:

I have seriously considered buying the power efficient AM1 platform or even intel bay trail, but Im planning on using plex server for on the fly transcoding of 1080p DTS movies. Ive read on their forums that a passmark score of 2k will be able to stream one video and for each additional stream another 2k is added to the recommended score. The 7400k got an average of 3k so this will give me some headroom as I will not be the only one using it at times.

Does this make any sense?
Oh right, multiple users. GPU acceleration. If plex supports this, it will be a massive help to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately Plex doesn't support gpu acceleration, the transcoding proces relies completely on cpu strength. After searching for Intel alternatives using passmark scores as relative guidance I've decided to go with a low power pentium g3240t cpu. I've also tossed aside the color matching and aesthetics and decided to buy a non windowed case.
Since airflow is going to be restricted a lot I've chosen a tower cpu that hopefully will transfer air from the intake at the back, through the heatsink exiting through the psu.

Thanks a lot for helping with this build so far.

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:

Unfortunately Plex doesn't support gpu acceleration, the transcoding proces relies completely on cpu strength. After searching for Intel alternatives using passmark scores as relative guidance I've decided to go with a low power pentium g3240t cpu. I've also tossed aside the color matching and aesthetics and decided to buy a non windowed case.
Since airflow is going to be restricted a lot I've chosen a tower cpu that hopefully will transfer air from the intake at the back, through the heatsink exiting through the psu.

Thanks a lot for helping with this build so far.
Why use a Low power chip? Just use a normal chip. Multipliers can be dropped, and so can voltages, you can make your own low power chip. Maybe a normal speed Celeron?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking two things.
The fastest g3420 pentium and low power fastest g3240t only have 200pts difference in passmark. I didn't think I could lower power consumption 18w without losing a bigger amount of performance.
Second the server would initiate a c state most of the time, both chips support this together with intel speedstep technology. So when idle both chips behave roughly the same no? I planned on undervolting the chip anyways.
Hope this makes sense.

I had previously decided to stay away from the celeron 1850 and 1840chips as they have 2mb l3 opposed to 3mb in pentiums. I dont see how they have more to offer. Could you elaborate?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
How are you comparing the power consumption? TDP for Celerons and pentium are most of the time not very accurate.

They will use the same amount of energy in idle and at equal clockspeed. The g3240t has just a lower clock with lower voltages which means lower power consumption.

Get that g3420.

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora51 View Post

How are you comparing the power consumption? TDP for Celerons and pentium are most of the time not very accurate.

They will use the same amount of energy in idle and at equal clockspeed. The g3240t has just a lower clock with lower voltages which means lower power consumption.

Get that g3420.
Seconded.. Voltage match the 2 chips and they'll pull about the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah yes I used the intel tdp specs. Unfortunately I already bought the chip. It doesn't matter though as I can still manually overclock for better performance 'if needed'. Stupid mistake on my part. I thought the low power gxxxxt chips were just binned for low power consumption therefor I assumed it would be good to buy one of those

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:

Ah yes I used the intel tdp sB]pecs. Unfortunately I already bought the chip. [B}It doesn't matter though as I can still manually overclock for better performance 'if needed'.[ Stupid mistake on my part. I thought the low power gxxxxt chips were just binned for low power consumption therefor I assumed it would be good to buy one of those
Uh, thats the thing, you can't which is why we said get the non-T chip.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God I feel so dumb lol, I get carried away way too quick.

I will be getting the other components within a month (or two) and I will probably make a build log for the fun of it.
If it doesn't meet my demands I can always buy a better chip in the future.

EDIT: I called the company where I ordered and they've changed the order for me yay! So Ill be using the G3420 after all.

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:

God I feel so dumb lol, I get carried away way too quick.

I will be getting the other components within a month (or two) and I will probably make a build log for the fun of it.
If it doesn't meet my demands I can always buy a better chip in the future.

EDIT: I called the company where I ordered and they've changed the order for me yay! So Ill be using the G3420 after all.
I've done worse, trust me. Bought my S21 over an NZXT Source 210 because it was about the same price when I factored in import fees. Worse choice I made, should have got the 210 anyway. Not to mention my buying a 3+1 board for Overclocking, then swapping to a 4+1 ATX board, only to switch back to mATX.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Why do you need a hyper 212 for a Pentium? The stock cooler can keep it cool even under max load pretty easily. It's only a ~65w part. You could honestly take the build you have right now, cut the PSU and case and go with a Pico PSU + M350 and find yourself with a smaller footprint and money saved. It would also be a lot quieter passively cooled as you don't even need an actively cooled case for what you have listed there.

And actually I just noticed I misread that your CPU is the T variant. So it's even less power (~35W). Yeah your build definitely seems like overkill.

·
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

Why do you need a hyper 212 for a Pentium? The stock cooler can keep it cool even under max load pretty easily. It's only a ~65w part. You could honestly take the build you have right now, cut the PSU and case and go with a Pico PSU + M350 and find yourself with a smaller footprint and money saved. It would also be a lot quieter passively cooled as you don't even need an actively cooled case for what you have listed there.

And actually I just noticed I misread that your CPU is the T variant. So it's even less power (~35W). Yeah your build definitely seems like overkill.
I didn't even know he had a 212 selected.. Agreed, use a Hyper T2 or something in a similar vein if you really want an A/M cooler

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tbh I think the T2 is fugly lol and although I won't see it inside the case, I don't feel like buying it.
I have updated my first post, because I'm getting the g3420 instead of the t version.
The m350 case is more expensive than the- imo better looking - raijintek metis.
I have decided to buy the core components and see for myself how silent the stock cooler is. Based on that I can always change components to suit my needs.

I'm starting to realise more and more that Im very stubborn so Im trying my hardest to give your advice some thought haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts