Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a pair of BX5A and wanted to upgrade sound card , I was looking at this one :

Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Sound Blaster Card SB1090

Basically i have 2 pc's , my gaming pc and my media - university duties - music - mixing pc.

So instead of buying 2 soundcards i was told to buy a usb DAC , my budget is 45 euros ~ 65 $.

could you recommend anything else or whatever ?

Cheers

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'll start off by saying I feel like Creative is the Bose of sound cards, that is, they thrive off of their gimmicks. You aren't going to find anything fantastic in this price range anyway perhaps maybe the DAC destroyer.

That being said, so begins my pitch of the Musiland Monitor 02. You can get them from the ebay store of the company for $135 (I believe plus shipping from china). It's more than twice your budget, I know, but there's a thread on head-fi speaking volumes of praise about it. Some people have issues, but I can tell you in the 18 months I've owned mine the only problem I've ever had was fixed by reinstalling the drivers.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dac destroyer is better than the xonar dx ?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blur510 View Post
I was gonna say the same about the musicland monitor 02. here is one from head-fiClick Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz View Post
The dac destroyer is better than the xonar dx ?
Err, I've never done comparisons or anything; but I'd take the destroyer over the DX any day. It supports up to 16/48 IIRC, and should be able to be used with ASIO/WASAPI without issues.

• Rep+
Reactions: supra_rz

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maytan View Post

Err, I've never done comparisons or anything; but I'd take the destroyer over the DX any day. It supports up to 16/48 IIRC, and should be able to be used with ASIO/WASAPI without issues.
also got an m audio xponent , can i use it for something with the dac destroyer ? also i have a 5.1 headphones razer barracuda , i guess i cant take advantage of 5.1 with this dac right?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz View Post
also got an m audio xponent , can i use it for something with the dac destroyer ? also i have a 5.1 headphones razer barracuda , i guess i cant take advantage of 5.1 with this dac right?
Err, I'm not sure how the Barracuda's would work in this situation. It physically has 5.1 speakers, but I don't know how that works if you plug it into a DAC.

I've never had an experience with surround sound headphones. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that all the speakers will be utilized. (Just not set up as 5.1, rather each side acting as one speaker.)

The xponent, on the other hand, I have no experience with whatsoever. However, you likely wouldn't be hooking it up to your DAC for anything. I mean, the DAC Destroyer is just a digital to analogue converter.. why would you hook equipment like that up to it? Unless you can hook it up to that thing via USB A/B and use the Destroyer as a DAC off of it. I really have no clue how the xponent works.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maytan View Post
Err, I'm not sure how the Barracuda's would work in this situation. It physically has 5.1 speakers, but I don't know how that works if you plug it into a DAC.

I've never had an experience with surround sound headphones. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that all the speakers will be utilized. (Just not set up as 5.1, rather each side acting as one speaker.)

The xponent, on the other hand, I have no experience with whatsoever. However, you likely wouldn't be hooking it up to your DAC for anything. I mean, the DAC Destroyer is just a digital to analogue converter.. why would you hook equipment like that up to it? Unless you can hook it up to that thing via USB A/B and use the Destroyer as a DAC off of it. I really have no clue how the xponent works.
was an idea but its useless cause the xponent has its own soundcard build in . So i am bidding on the destroyer right now
thanks so much . So basically a good upgrade from onboard audio for my bx5a i guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.