Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
Well, he is basing it off of (what I assume is) an Nvidia video. The graph does back up his results, but bias is certainly in question.

I doubt he's running 4850s, because they support tessellation, and he showed the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
I think he is pretty much dead on to be honest. Nvidia is gearing their cards towards tessellation, there is no doubt about that. However how many games right now are being developed with it... probably not many. This generation I believe ATI will win the FPS and peformance war.. however soon we will see once games start to really take advantage of tessellation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
why dosent he run ATIs flagship model 5970 in his test...then see the results...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d33r View Post
why dosent he run ATIs flagship model 5970 in his test...then see the results...

There is a thread with 5970 results. Unfortunately it still did not beat the 480 where the card gets hit the most. It does have insanely high fps though. In fact way too high to be true which could mean a driver issue too. Or whoever put the data on the graph did it wrong?

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...vs-5870-a.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
The 5970 is also a dual GPU. GTX 480 is single GPU. The performance increase is obvious and expected. However, I'm sure Nvidia's GTX 495 (or whatever they call their Dual-GPU GF-100 card) will have a similar comparison to a 5970 as the GTX 480 does to the 5870.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
Well if they do or more to the point can make a 495 it would trounce the 5970.
But considering that one 480 is rumored to use 200+ watts of power I think that it'll be a little while before we see one.
In the days of 1000W PSUs at every computer store, I don't see it as that far off. Of course, assuming that the 480 does actually consume 200+ watts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
Are you still banging on about that chart?, yes one dip below your beloved GTX480 and you say the 5970 cant do that and never mind the fact the 5970 trounces the 480.
Did you see the video. 2 5870s in CF get really crappy low score where the 480 gets 51 or something like that. 2 5870s in CF I'm assuming might be better than a 5970 too.
 

·
Gaming Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
Are you still banging on about that chart?, yes one dip below your beloved GTX480 and you say the 5970 cant do that and never mind the fact the 5970 trounces the 480.
Heavy Tessellation:
GTX 480: 43 fps / HD 5970: 29 fps
GTX 480: 45 fps / HD 5970: 36 fps
Medium Tessellation:
GTX 480: 44 fps / HD 5970: 57 fps
GTX 480: 50 fps / HD 5970: 60 fps
Low Tessellation:
GTX 480: 44 fps / HD 5970: 69 fps
GTX 480: 71 fps / HD 5970: 112 fps

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=117000

What part of that screams "trounce" to you, exactly? The part where the single GPU 480 beats the dual GPU 5970 in heavily tessellated dx11 scenarios.. or the part where the 5970 can build an insignificant lead when the cards are all but idle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,086 Posts
Last time I checked, I said if they make a 495 or equiv it would trounce the 5970.
So please read my post as it has been written.

But now we treading into a ground that's not covered that well, question to anyone answer this "Saulin maybe you know more about this than I do" doesn't the Fermi arch use like um whats the word shared shaders/tessellation?.

So this is the way I see it, if it does share the shaders with tessellation, in a tessellation heavy code it would be limited in the shader department yes?, where as the 5000 series has a dedicated tessellation engine.
Also this scenario can be reversed, plus also we don't know how tweaked the drivers where (if at all) in that benchmark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
Last time I checked, I said if they make a 495 or equiv it would trounce the 5970.
So please read my post as it has been written.

But now we treading into a ground that's not covered that well, question to anyone answer this "Saulin maybe you know more about this than I do" doesn't the Fermi arch use like um whats the word shared shaders/tessellation?.

So this is the way I see it, if it does share the shaders with tessellation, in a tessellation heavy code it would be limited in the shader department yes?, where as the 5000 series has a dedicated tessellation engine.
Also this scenario can be reversed, plus also we don't know how tweaked the drivers where (if at all) in that benchmark.
The way I see it. Of course this is yet to be proven since we have no official benchmarks. In games that don't use tessellation, Fermi might kick butt in AA. In games that use tessellation, Fermi will also win.

In the end Fermi is probbaly going to handle lower FPS much better. In games with lots of tessellation and using lots of AA. It probably will even out and they be almost equal.

If it's like I think it might be, then most likely I will sell my GTX 285 and get a GTX 470. I mean we have seen unofficial benchmarks of the GTX 470 that show it getting better low fps than the 5870 in several games but I don't trust them much. However I think it will be this way
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
Good video!
I think we all saw this coming - that Fermi would dominate in tessellation heavy scenarios. Either way, I'll be trying to pick up a GTX 480 at PAX EAST to bench for you guys!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top