Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread about VID and that having a low VID generally means your CPU can overclock higher, so I followed the instructions to check my VID on my i7-860.

The VID reproted by CPU-Z is 1.117V, is this considered a good VID among i7 860 CPUs?

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
You are right. Generally speaking a low VID means you can overclock more. That's because the chip runs stable at a lower voltage for the stock clocks so it should be the same once you overclock it. This may not translate from theory to practive though. The only way to be sure is to overclock that puppy! Get to it nao!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried coretemp but it doesnt work with core i7 cpus, also i read the thread about VID explained, I just want to know if among other core i7 860s this VID is good or not?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
After the Core2s, any new gen i series don't really take VID into consideration anymore...

Sure, the starting point for default voltage may be lower, for since the VID only plays a role in OCing, there is no set standard to say what VID is good and which are bad.

One thing that seems to matter more than VID though is the BATCH numbers... Usually good indicator or starting point to see which CPUs will OC better than others...

To be honest with you, I think the whole VID fiasco had more to do with getting more money for the CPU when listing for sale than anything else...

I had a low vid E8400 (1.125v) that ran hotter at the same voltage and OC than my other E8400 with a VID of 1.225.

And since checking of VID is done by guesstimation anyway on the i7s, there will be no real true way to tell which is good and which is bad.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12
View Post

I tried coretemp but it doesnt work with core i7 cpus, also i read the thread about VID explained, I just want to know if among other core i7 860s this VID is good or not?

RealTemp works better with 45nm processors for temperature reading.

1.11 V is very good. You are running at stock speeds right?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

RealTemp works better with 45nm processors for temperature reading.

1.11 V is very good. You are running at stock speeds right?

yes, I followed the instructions on the VID explained thread, I loaded default settings, and then turned off C1E and C-States.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHigh
View Post

After the Core2s, any new gen i series don't really take VID into consideration anymore...

Sure, the starting point for default voltage may be lower, for since the VID only plays a role in OCing, there is no set standard to say what VID is good and which are bad.

One thing that seems to matter more than VID though is the BATCH numbers... Usually good indicator or starting point to see which CPUs will OC better than others...

To be honest with you, I think the whole VID fiasco had more to do with getting more money for the CPU when listing for sale than anything else...

I had a low vid E8400 (1.125v) that ran hotter at the same voltage and OC than my other E8400 with a VID of 1.225.

And since checking of VID is done by guesstimation anyway on the i7s, there will be no real true way to tell which is good and which is bad.

I cannot find any info online about my batch number or any batch number higher than mine, I dont even know where to look for this info (I checked the list on EVGA forums and google), my number is L943B577

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think you are looking at the wrong number... You will see a series of 4 numbers and a letter...

Since the batch # changes with different manufacturing dates, it's harder to say which ones are good and which ones are bad... I just searched from something like "GOOD BATCH i7" and looked through the posts to find the most current info and batch, and member's OC with that similar batch...

When I got mine, the general consensus was that 38XXB was the better OCers than the XXXXA counterparts. Since it's been a few months, I am sure it's something completely different.

I can say personally that I have 3849A and another 3849B in same motherboard (ASUS P6Tv2), both with 12GB RAM... The "A" batch needs about .03v more to achieve the same clocks as the "B" batch... Does that really matter??? No... They both seem to peak at around 4.3Ghz without hitting the max safe temp wall of around 75c under full load.

OF COURSE, it's still luck of the draw, but generally speaking, i7s seem to OC pretty much in the same line with each other...

My general experience has been that no matter what, you will more than likely be limited by your TEMPS, before the CPU limit. Even with the VenX, you will most likely see temps of around mid 70s when you get to 4.0Ghz and above, which doesn't give you much more headroom for taking it much higher.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHigh
View Post

I think you are looking at the wrong number... You will see a series of 4 numbers and a letter...

Since the batch # changes with different manufacturing dates, it's harder to say which ones are good and which ones are bad... I just searched from something like "GOOD BATCH i7" and looked through the posts to find the most current info and batch, and member's OC with that similar batch...

When I got mine, the general consensus was that 38XXB was the better OCers than the XXXXA counterparts. Since it's been a few months, I am sure it's something completely different.

I can say personally that I have 3849A and another 3849B in same motherboard (ASUS P6Tv2), both with 12GB RAM... The "A" batch needs about .03v more to achieve the same clocks as the "B" batch... Does that really matter??? No... They both seem to peak at around 4.3Ghz without hitting the max safe temp wall of around 75c under full load.

OF COURSE, it's still luck of the draw, but generally speaking, i7s seem to OC pretty much in the same line with each other...

My general experience has been that no matter what, you will more than likely be limited by your TEMPS, before the CPU limit. Even with the VenX, you will most likely see temps of around mid 70s when you get to 4.0Ghz and above, which doesn't give you much more headroom for taking it much higher.

Good luck...

wait what? I dont see a number like that - it says FPO/Batch #: L943B577 on the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts