Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought Bioshock Infinite on launch and just got around to playing it a few days ago, finished it tonight. So yeah, amazing, amazing game. One of my favourites in a long time. It was 100% worth the hours I spent in Nvidia Inspector tweaking this and that, and googling, all to get rid of the framerate dumps and FPS spikes for the optimal experience. However, it was kind of frustrating having to do that.

Right now, I'm considering Tomb Raider. I really want to play this but as an Nvidia SLI gamer, am I going to encounter another SLI-unfriendly, massively VRAM hogging title in TR that I'm going to have to spend hours tweaking again? Of course I've already googled and found that TressFX seems to work on nvidia cards, but I wasn't able to find any conclusive evidence of a SLI profile for the game. Most of the benchmarks are on 600 series GPUs, so I'm just wondering if anyone running 580's in SLI by chance could let me know how they fared with it. Should I be okay or should I go for something else for now? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The game in itself is very worth it. You can find it for 10 euro/GBP/dollar and it is a steal at that price, apart fro m the quick time events now and then, the combat is very fun with the bow and so is exploration. Jumping also feels very organic and heavy. It feels like a real jump. Environments are beautiful and you often get that sense of scale when the camera pans and you are climbing a huge mountain or structure. Really recommended by me.

Now first, you don't need tress FX. It crushes framerate and the hair glitches around according to some. I did not use it. i played it on a gtx 760 on ultra with 2 x AA and was very satisfied. I think the 580 should do fine on its own, but I don't know if SLI works good with 2 x 580. IMO don't hesitate if you can find it for a good price and see for yourself. It doesn't work? Just play with 1 580.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This game was dope. I never thought I'd get into Tomb Raider til I started playing it with my Xbox remote connected to the PC. This game was awesome. I Played it on my 7950 with tress fx on because the hair just looked dope in the wind with ultra settings 1920x1080 on my hdtv. Ran smooth and looked great. Tons of fun man you should get it. Now I just play Payday 2 until the new Battlefield comes out. I got alot of games on my PC. Metro Last Light was dope, FarCry3 was fun, and Crysis 3 just looks amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danycyo View Post

This game was dope. I never thought I'd get into Tomb Raider til I started playing it with my Xbox remote connected to the PC.
Yup. I was never really interested in TR before, but I absolutely loved it. Easily the best action/adventure game of the year imo.

I don't see any reason your SLI 580s would have issues, but even if so it's still worth playing imo.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Hell Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Single 6850 didn't have issues with the game on max settings without AA/TressFX. THe game was amazing,easily one of the best games i've played in my life.It's 110% worth it,even if you have to go through the trouble of SLI profiles etc.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The new TR, is by far the best game I've played in awhile.
and I think it still hold true to the original games.
The story is great and the game play is even better.

Tress FX is pretty, but glitchy and did it's own thing independent of the environment.. still much prettier than standard hair.
max settings I got good frame rates, except in cut scenes it dropped to 14fps or lower
and that is with a single HD6870:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
My 7770 with a c2d at 2.66ghz was playing it fine at "high" with no aa at 1080p (average of about 45 fps, low of 29 in the benchmark). I think your rig will handle it great.

I only played about 30 minutes honestly, on my TV with the rig I mentioned and a 360 pad. Honestly it was an enjoyable game, this coming from someone who doesn't game much anymore and can't stand single player games. I think I could actually sit down and play the whole story. Definitely check it out.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
I completed it at 70% and I have no desire to go back for that extra 30%. It's a solid game but there were some things I just didn't like about it. It ran really well without any issues for me using the default SLI profile. SSAA and Tress will kill fps though so keep that in mind. I just played through downsamping 2880x1800p and no Tress due to serious clipping issues and framerate drops. Wasn't worth it to me.. There's a built in benchmark tool that makes it a bit easier to dial in settings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought I would throw in my two cents. I loved Tomb Raider. If you know going it is a linear game, it can be very fun. I loved the combat of it, and the character development of Lara. I went back through the maps as I was playing through, and 100% the game. Enjoyed every minute of it. I found TressFX to be ugly personally, since it gave her medusa hair. It was just jumping around everywhere. Even if it didn't have a performance hit I wouldn't have played with it.

I actually liked it a lot more than Bioshock Infinite personally. I have found both of Levine's Bioshock games to be overrated. I did enjoy Infinite (unlike the original), but I don't have any interest in playing it again. I will definitely play through Tomb Raider again in the future. I payed $20 for it in like March or April or something, and it was definitely worth that price. After playing it, I would maybe say it was worth as much as $30 for me, but I doubt you'd have to pay much more than $10-$15 if you were patient. I say this having no idea what the current price is. I know nothing I said answered your main questions about performance on SLI cards, but oh well. I can't answer those.

Hoped I helped!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good game!
sli gtx 580 no problem I played at ultimate without tessellation (it crashed when it was on)
I agree that the hair look weird but didn't bother me.
as for fps I didn't look at it much but id say between 60 and 90 in general

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I did not experience any problems with using SLI in the game. Every game I play I use evga precision to test my GPU usage. I was at around %85 usage.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It is a very good game. I recently completed it, at full 100% and I can't wait for it's sequel to come out also. The story it told is great and a lot of the exploration and puzzles are very enjoyable.

Now, I also absolutely HATED.... and I mean HATED a lot of the gameplay mechanics. Such as not being able to crouch at all, not being able to sprint, QTEs at every other second and also hand holding that was bordering on the game playing itself.

With that said, I still enjoyed the game a lot. If you dislike any of those things to the point that it ruins a game for you, then I would steer clear. I was able to overlook those things, because of the story itself and the wanting to continue to see what situation Lara would end up in. Still, the game could be awesome and recommended as a must play, it it got rid of all of those stupid things.

Graphics are absolutely beautiful and some of the best that are available on PC ATM.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Get this game and get it now! Awesome gameplay and a much appreciated revision of the series. Graphics are top quality and SLI scaling is at 100%! I ran the game completely maxed out with TressFX and 2xSSAA with my setup and was running a steady 60FPS except a few cutscenes that would only dip into low 50's

This game is a perfect example for developers on how to truly make a PC game

·
red dawn
809 Posts
Awesome game, had lots of fun with it.
Never seen a single character suffer so much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts