Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
It's a lower than average starting % for new SSDs.

But you shouldn't have corruption until it hits 0%. Maybe there was a partially bad NAND chip, which caused so many blocks to die?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you don't like installing programs, you can see TRIM is enabled by:

Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

To enable trim: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
To disable trim: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
It's a lower than average starting % for new SSDs.

But you shouldn't have corruption until it hits 0%. Maybe there was a partially bad NAND chip, which caused so many blocks to die?
It's not slow or anything, I haven't noticed any issues.

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the magical me
View Post

I have no idea why SSds go bad quickly ?? I haven't used them yet, but seen many members here complain about them... so why do they go bad that quick ??

I think what gives them the biggest kicking is having only 10-20GB free space to do all the wear leveling

This is asuming my SSDs use "Dynamic wear leveling"!
Cause my 160GB Intel only had my OS and Apps on it. And so had about 100GB free for the wear leveling to spread the load!
And with over 6TB through it, 98% ain't bad

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
OP: The answer is yes, it is automatically "enabled" but it might not be working, if you are not using a SATA driver that supports it.
The default built-in msahci.sys and pciide.sys support TRIM, and intel's new RST 9.6 driver supports it, so far nothing else has been released that says it supports it, and since there are no ways to test it easily I can't really tell unless the company says it does.

differing opinions as to SMART data and drive health...

All of the SSD life screenshots here are Green with a big tick and the words "EXCELLENT".... so....

Sandforce drives report 85% quite often when new... I've read they don't go down very quickly, so maybe they should tune their SMART reporting so it appears "safer"...
Basically it's not a problem

The Indilinx drive that was a month old posted by SlaveOnDope looks about right for the amount of data written...

·
Overclocker
2,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by House Cat
View Post

I have a vertex 2 and it is connected to ICH10R, how do i know if trim is enabled?

Just install the latest intel chipset drivers then run this command prompt (as administrator):
fsutil behavior query Disabledeletenotify

if answer is 0 then Trim is Enabled if answer is 1, then Trim is Disabled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Cat
View Post

Is this bad?

I got my ssd brand new and it was also 85%, it's been a month and still 85% and no problems so far

·
Somewhere in time
1,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHILEE5
View Post

That's cool

But what does SSDLife say

Wrong software....

Goes to edit original post.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinsoundzboy View Post
when are we going to see trim support for raid ?
its most likely a driver fix for the raid card.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts