1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am in the market for a new monitor.
At first I was thinking 32 1440p 144hz.
But then I started to look at ultrawide monitors and they seemed great.
The monitors themselves are beautiful and great in specs, but as I was researching, I started to come across problems and more problems.

Either games don't run at ultrawide resolutions, or they run but the cutscenes don't.
Or the huds are not placed properly, or some in game effects only occupy the 16:9 portion...

Then there are fixes for some games. Until a patch comes along and the fix is broken...

So I ask...
Is the gaming experience at ultrawide so good to compensate for all the trouble?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
If you are an overwatch player you will hate it, but most the games I play support it just fine. Bottom line, if you play games that support it, yay, if you don't, well then don't get one. Most newer games seem to come with native ultrawide support though (except for cutscenes). For me, definitely worth the hassle, for you? Depends on what you play.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
It is true that there are some games where the HUD is offset and not where you want it. There is free software out there that will fix the issues with this and resolution issues in a lot of games released in the last few years. Its called flawless widescreen. Ive never run into an issue with cut scenes not running though.

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
For me personally a 34"+ 21:9 would be ideal but the prices are not. WSG used to be a problem 10 years ago, though nowadays as developers mostly make not worth playing ports from consoles or enforce stupid limits to keep multiplayer "fair" they are breaking WSG support in the process by their own choice and bringing some of these WSG issues back.

A decent game supports all resolutions and aspect ratios plus FOV adjustment.

And if you do run into some horrible rare issue that your game is poor and doesn't run in 21:9 1440p oh well, just switch it to 16:9 1440p and continue, 10 seconds fix that works everywhere.

Can't say the specs and prices of 21:9 1440p are any better than 16:9 1440p especially for 100Hz+.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frunction View Post

What are the main games or game types you play?
I just really like games, so I tend to play all sorts of games.
I am currently playing mirrors edge catalyst and strider 2014 for example.
I like shooters, 3rd person adventure games action games, story driven games, rpgs, driving games.
I really like the assassin's creed games, far cry, tomb Raider, telltale games... Really all kinds I guess...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking about the Acer XR382CQK.
But the resolution is not the 21:9 usual 3440x1440, but instead is 3840 x 1600.
Ultrawide support is already difficult sometimes with the standard resolution.
Will the Acer res bring extra compatibility issues?

Cheers!

·
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)
771 Posts
I have the 38" acer.

Any game that supports ultrawide will be fine. You may have to edit INI files to get the correct resolution, or just put up with small bars on the sides.

But most games that I have tried work fine.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdourado View Post

I just really like games, so I tend to play all sorts of games.
I am currently playing mirrors edge catalyst and strider 2014 for example.
I like shooters, 3rd person adventure games action games, story driven games, rpgs, driving games.
I really like the assassin's creed games, far cry, tomb Raider, telltale games... Really all kinds I guess...
I think Ultrawide would be great for this type of variety gaming.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input.
I ask because for example, I was at WSGF and checking rise of the tomb raider and under supported UW resolutions it just mentioned 3440x1440.
In the acer, is the native resolution selectable on the graphics menu?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post

If you are an overwatch player you will hate it, but most the games I play support it just fine. Bottom line, if you play games that support it, yay, if you don't, well then don't get one. Most newer games seem to come with native ultrawide support though (except for cutscenes). For me, definitely worth the hassle, for you? Depends on what you play.
I still hate blizzard for this, "it provides a competitive advantage". I can't say that it does or doesn't for sure, so its debatable, but then you need to also question other hardware advantages. 60hz vs 144hz, 240hz, etc, peripherals like keyboards and mice, systems themselves and whether or not they will deliver a smooth playable performance.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

I still hate blizzard for this, "it provides a competitive advantage". I can't say that it does or doesn't for sure, so its debatable, but then you need to also question other hardware advantages. 60hz vs 144hz, 240hz, etc, peripherals like keyboards and mice, systems themselves and whether or not they will deliver a smooth playable performance.
This is something I've been saying for a long time as well. Yes a wider field of view does give somewhat of an advantage. However, so does a lower ping, higher resolution, higher refresh rate, more reliable internet connection, more responsive peripherals, a younger body with faster reflexes and sharper vision, and the list goes on. It just seems like such a strange design choice to actively stop people from using an ultrawide monitor but not artificially cap frame rate or resolution. A good PC game will allow you to make the most of your hardware and not lock down anything but it just seems so strange that of all the things that do give someone a better experience in a game, aspect ratio is the one that crosses the line for Blizzard. I recall a similar situation in Diablo. WoW has no such limitations from what I've seen.

I've been playing exclusively at 21:9 for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. I would never go back to 16:9. Every game I've played either supports it perfectly out of the box or with some very minor tweaks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I decide to go for ultrawide, I am either looking at the acer 38 or the z35p.
What would give the better and most immersive gaming experience? The bigger size and resolution of the x38? Or the 120hz of the z35p?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I tried 21:9 for about a week and I honestly didn't like it too much. Going back to 16:9 was a huge relief. The monitor (35") was so big that it actually made me nauseous in games like Doom, my desk is way too small (~70cm depth) to accomodate such a monitor.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you feel the future of ultrawide gaming will be?
With the consoles betting on 4k and 16:9 aspect ratio, will the ultrawide support continue to be plagued with issues of bad hud placements, 16:9 cutscenes and such?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Got a X34 a week ago, tried witcher 3 and mass effect andromeda all i can it's a wonderful experience. Also play games like world of warships which have native support for 21:9, this too is a blast to play with a ultrawide.

Ultrawide not for everyone i guess, but i love it and hell no i'm going back 16:9

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Quote:

How do you feel the future of ultrawide gaming will be?
With the consoles betting on 4k and 16:9 aspect ratio, will the ultrawide support continue to be plagued with issues of bad hud placements, 16:9 cutscenes and such?
since Samsung and others are investing heavily into 18:9 ratio, (or simply put 2:1), I bet there will be more ultrawide support in the future in general.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of what I am reading online mention that uw gaming is a game changer.
That when a game works, it really is something special.
But then, I was seeing WAF YouTube, and while there are a lot of games that run in 21:9, there seems to always be something wrong.
For example, wolfenstein was one of my favorite games. It runs in ultrawide, but those hud elements not dissappear completely and being half stuck on the right side are quite annoying...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Quote:

If I decide to go for ultrawide, I am either looking at the acer 38 or the z35p.
What would give the better and most immersive gaming experience? The bigger size and resolution of the x38? Or the 120hz of the z35p?
120hz helps much more in the immersive feeling because it gives you a more connected feel. I would just wait a few months because the 3840x1600 38" 144hz ultrawides are coming from LG really soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts