Overclock.net banner

Have you moved to Veracrypt or stuck with Truecrypt ?

• Truecrypt

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Veracrypt

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Another product entirely - Please comment for discussion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum

So I've been keeping an eye on this veracrypt VS truecrypt battle.

I know there were some issues when veracrypt first came out which seem to be resolved how ever the flaws in truecrypt as well not big enough to cause issues making it not worth using.

How ever my concern is moving to veracrypt which might have unknown issues or many sorts.

Whats everyones view here on it ?

Who has stayed with TC and who's moved to VC or another product entirely.

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
I still use TrueCrypt as it's been audited at this point and it's flaws are easily mitigated or worked around.

VeraCrypt is probably fine, but unless I need something that it's explicitly fixed vs. TrueCrypt, I have no compelling reason to switch.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Truecrypt is no longer supported, veracrypt is a fork of the source but has the security issues from the audit fixed, theres no reason to be using true-crypt for new devices anymore

As for secure, probably, the audit found nothing much wrong with true crypt, and what it did was fixed in vera

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a tough call switching from one to the other

Just not exactly sure I trust the new veracrypt, Agency have been all over truecrypt and have had a major battle with them.

Apart from a few issues and being able to decrypt the key from a memory dump (single encryption) truecrypt is solid.

Now naturally agencys will be all over veracrypt also but so far I've not seen any reports of agencys having issues breaking into veracrypt like we have with Truecrypt.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Ei?

If you dont trust vera crypt, then you also musnt trust truecrypt as they are the same code base ;-)!

Vera is a fork of truecrypt, which is still being developed and supported, the issues found in the audit will not be fixed in true crypt. Saying that, there were only a handfull of issues found, so there is no huge problem with using either, as long as ou understand they are the same product but one has support!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I use DiskCryptor (before VeraCrypt came out) but it hasn't been updated in almost two years. Also, running a benchmark side by side between VeraCrypt and Diskcryptor, on my system DiskCryptor is faster so I stayed with that. But since AES hardware-based encryption is orders of magnitude faster than the world's fastest SSD it shouldn't be an issue in the real world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts