Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intel has designed their newer CPUs with power management in mind. When the CPU is at idle or when the not a lot of computing power is necessary, it drops the multiplier by a couple, depending on which model you have. I have an Intel E6300 with C1E and EIST enabled in the BIOS. When the CPU power isn't necessary, my multiplier drops from from x7 to x6, dropping overall CPU speed and FSB like so:

However, when loading programs, gaming and other CPU intensive activities are going on, such as stress testing, the CPUs multiplier goes right back up to the set default (which is maximum), illustrated here:

C1E and EIST does not hurt your CPUs overclocking potential at all. Its there to save energy.

However, if you decide you cannot have this function, it can be easily disabled in the BIOS.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Thanks for the information, but this is a pretty well known fact within the Intel community.

It's proper name is Speedstep.

yup, its pretty well known, but theres only like 10 threads a day asking why their intel CPUs are not at full speed

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
And there seem to be a lot of people who turn it off for some reason... even though it doesn't slow you down at all.

·
Bacon & Eggs
2,865 Posts
If you leave C1E on, and you have overclocked your cpu, and you have entered manually adjusted voltages, when the cpu drops from no usage, won't that higher voltage hurt the cpu. I mean if I am running 3.6 @ 1.45vcore and the cpu drops to 2.4 @ 1.45vcore, isn't that bad?

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h00chi3 View Post
If you leave C1E on, and you have overclocked your cpu, and you have entered manually adjusted voltages, when the cpu drops from no usage, won't that higher voltage hurt the cpu. I mean if I am running 3.6 @ 1.45vcore and the cpu drops to 2.4 @ 1.45vcore, isn't that bad?
Well the voltage definitely isn't needed for the lower clock speed but its not really bad in a way. 1.45 vcore on a 2.4GHz speed is the same as 1.45 vcore on 3.6GHz.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o
View Post

Well the voltage definitely isn't needed for the lower clock speed but its not really bad in a way. 1.45 vcore on a 2.4GHz speed is the same as 1.45 vcore on 3.6GHz.

the vcore is reduced by the motherboard when EIST clocks the multiplier down.

Mine drops from 1.35 to 1.1, and its still stable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only problem is that some times you can spend days and days getting your overclocked PC perfectly stable and for some reason when it drops due to these options in may cause instability it may be very rare but it is a side effect.

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
On my board my vcore never drops when c1e is on stays same as if it was off.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't lead to instability? With C1E and EIST switched on, I couldn't get my E6550 to go beyond 2.63. But after I disabled it, Here I am perfectly stable at 3.0.

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
I like to have it at full speed all the time
it took me 2 mins to find out how to disable this
it wasnt that hard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.