Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation. I recently RMA'd my Silverstone ST-1000G Evolution power supply after that was believed to be the problem. I just got it back, and my rig is still black screening. I've isolated if it's the graphics cards by unplugging and running one of my two 290X's individually, resetting the OC on each one and it's still a no-go.

The SSD's aren't posing a problem, and all connections across each component have been checked. I'm running a 3930K at 4.3GHz (1.380V) on a Rampage IV Black motherboard. I've already RMA'd my board once due to it not booting before, but this issue is coming out of nowhere.

So now the computer will still black screen after about 10 minutes of running [email protected], and it won't attempt to start itself back up. The lights on the board remain lit, and it's told me that it was triggering the Asus Anti-Surge Protection which I've tried turning off on my board. The rig is well within the power supply's capabilities even with the hefty water loop that's running in my PC. At this point, I'm befuddled as to what is causing this
frown.gif

Thoughts? Ideas?

-Zepp

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've also tried to switch the BIOS with the switch built into the board. Cleared the CMOS, reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, tightened all the screws on the board and checked for anything that could cause shorts to happen, and nothing has worked so far
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

EDIT: Also tried folding on each individual component and playing with the number of cores folding when the CPU is active. Nothing is working still, so I'm genuinely confused.

·
What should be here ?
6,079 Posts
What drivers are you running ?? Any errors it throws while doing this ?? Also, did you try a different set of drivers ??

• Rep+
Reactions: ledzepp3

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For my graphics cards I'm running 14.4 Catalyst and for the board it's the latest BIOS. It doesn't give me a blue screen, it'll just completely turn off. No error messages or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It's a power issue, consider trying out a different psu, and gpu.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The power supply is brand new, and I'll try ruling out the graphics cards!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even when not under load (idling on the desktop) it'll still black screen after about 15-20 minutes of sitting there.
mellowsmiley.gif

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepp3 View Post

The power supply is brand new, and I'll try ruling out the graphics cards!
thumb.gif
Yea, try that. Also, a power supply can be faulty even though it's new, your situation is more of a power delivery issue: if you can get your hands on maybe a nearby friend's psu to try it, it will really help.

• Rep+
Reactions: ledzepp3

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to take care of a few things and I decided to see how it'd do just running the CPU. It's stayed almost an entire hour, full load on the CPU without a single black screen or hiccup. The PSU's exhaust air is quite warm, so I'll try to see if overheating is the issue in this scenario. I remember my room (where the PC is located) used to get very warm and mildly humid so I'd have to keep it constantly ventilated.

Thank you to everyone for the help!

-Zepp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts