Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I realized that I cleaned a couple CPU's in the house with 70% isopropyl aclcohol. And then I applied thermal paste and reseated them and all that.

That was when I was improving the cooling solution on one computer, and switching CPU's on another older computer.

Could this cause any problems? :-/ They've been running for a couple months now since I did that. I forgot that the alcohol was 70% and not 90%.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It's not that BIG of a deal if you cleaned it correctly and check if everything was ok. 90% and above is to be ABSOLUTELY sure that it remove completely everything. But 70% can do the job if it's done well.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
Hey so I realized that I cleaned a couple CPU's in the house with 70% isopropyl aclcohol. And then I applied thermal paste and reseated them and all that.

That was when I was improving the cooling solution on one computer, and switching CPU's on another older computer.

Could this cause any problems? :-/ They've been running for a couple months now since I did that. I forgot that the alcohol was 70% and not 90%.

no, you are fine, its what i used to use when cleaning CPUS, then i bought better Alcohol. i get it at Fry's its 7 bucks for a 32oz bottle of 99.9% and works alittle bit better than the household 70%.

but you are fine for using that to clean, just use cottonballs to clean and after you got all the TIM off, take a dry cottonball and wipe the top off.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I use 70% all the time to clean up thermal paste. I would recommend using ArctiClean after using 70% isopropyl just to catch any leftover thermal paste and to purify the surface.

You can also just use 90% alcohol to clean it up and purify.

ArctiClean on FrozenCPU - $5.95

·
Registered
165 Posts
as long as you waited a couple mins before reapplication you're fine.

alcohol is going to evap very quickly regardless of what
"proof" you use. . . . . So, as long as you cleaned and waited for it to air dry, you're good.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
You'll be fine. You'd have noticed any issues immediately. After a few months with no problems, there's nothing whatsoever to worry about.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Yeah i've used 70% alcohol prep pads (ala IV start kits, since i'm a nurse) to clean the TIM off several cpus/heatsinks. Unlimited free supply with applicator lol

It works well. Just give it a little time to dry

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
i recommend using frys 99.95% isopropyl it was less then $10

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
its all good. I have been using some 70% on some stuff.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty67 View Post
distill your own

Dads good ol' home brew

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neur0mancer View Post
Or buy 99% at walmart for a buck
I've only seen 91% available. Used to be a buck, but it's gone up a little now. Still under $3.00 for 32oz though. Works swell for cleaning cd's and all kinds of stuff w/o residue and dries uber fast.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Been a while since I was at walmart, I just paid $2.50 for 99% at the grocery store last week.

Maybe it was 91% at my local wally world...

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andr3az View Post
I use 40% vodka to clean my cpus and gpus.. Nothing bad has happened so far.
How dare you waste vodka

And why are you buying only 80 proof, 100 is the way to go

·
Banned
435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post
i recommend using frys 99.95% isopropyl it was less then $10
70% is fine. The difference between 90% is faster evaporation(more alcholhol content). Just don't drink it LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts