1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 20th, 2007
Long Zheng

Quote:

From silence to the grand opera, finally Internet Explorer will join the league of a handful of next-generation web browsers that passes the Acid2 test.

Whilst remembering Acid2 is not a standards test - in fact it breaks a few standards to test how browsers handles malformed code, passing the test represents the browser will properly support a range of next-generation CSS 2.1 features that opens up a range of creative opportunities for web designers. It doesn't test everything, but these are probably the most useful features.

Quote:

It's one thing for Firefox, Safari and Opera to pass the ACID2 test, but it's another for the default browser of the most widely used consumer operating system to support it too. And not only is it a web browser, the rendering engine is used in thousands of third-party applications to draw interface elements.

Imagine when Internet Explorer 8 is pushed out via Windows Update to every Windows user as a recommended update, then web developers and designers will sleep like a baby knowing their standards-compliant code should work on any browser and any platform without a single hack. Wouldn't that be nice.

(Source)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

Its still Internet Explorer.

lol

On another note Marin have you got nothing to do today? I've seen so many posts by you over the last 3 hours! I'm bord at work with nothing to do, whats your excuse? lol

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkmachine
View Post

lol

On another note Marin have you got nothing to do today? I've seen so many posts by you over the last 3 hours! I'm bord at work with nothing to do, whats your excuse? lol

I have finals. I have two easy classes later today so I'm doing nothing. I should go to sleep.

·
15,777 Posts
IE was awsum as a web browser since it's so simple, but IE7 took that away by doing a ... trying to rip-off the all mighty FireFox.
I changed to FireFox cuz if the tab function, and found out that it was much more safer too.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hereonyourown
View Post

this is VERY good news for the web developers like me. It means less code, quicker and alot more accessible.

edit: more info about it at: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...milestone.aspx

YES! omg... but then, it'll still be a while until people start upgrading. Many people are still stuck in IE 6, too.

In other words, MS is crap. Why the hell did they break standards anyway?

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

Its still Internet Explorer.

So just because it is MS it is automatically crap?
They do have some of the best programers around and since it is all new, who knows, maybe it will be better than other browsers.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
It may be *gasp* IE, but I will give it a chance. It's not like because it's IE it automatically has to be crap.
I feel that Firefox users are a little too used to naysaying all the MS stuff. I have full faith in MS for Windows 7 and this new browser.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE
View Post

I like IE6...

i see no qualms with it either. most people who are using mozilla
are running a myriad of defenses anyways. for my families computer
i let them use ie6, and a bunch of protection and their sweeps are
clean as a whistle, and they never complain about crashes.

sheesh, people need to relax, they're free updates.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Finally! If IE8.0 does this, and also complies to standards, takes XHTML served as xml+xhtml and renders CSS well, I'll happily recommend it to people.

Also, I'm pretty sure Firefox (or rather, the Gecko engine) currently fails the Acid 2 test.

And to the above about IE 6 - it cannot render CSS. Do not use it, for web developers, IE6 is a devil. Please, think of the developers!

Of course, I still believe Windows is a rubbish OS, and that other browsers have more features than IE, not to mention, I like support FOSS, but if IE8 works fine at rendering, I'll not make it such a priority to switch. Obviously, the best way to go is Epiphany or Opera on a Linux OS (or Camino on a Mac)

Also, to all you Firefox fanboys, you do realise you are as bad? Firefox is not the best browser out there (That goes to Opera, really, although I personally dislike it) - it beats IE, but still has big issues with Memory usage. If you can give a good reason (The use of extensions, the fact it can render reasonably, the fact it is FOSS), then great, but if you just say 'FF rocks, IE sucks' - you are just a fanboy. Don't give FOSS users a bad name.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by secretsexyninja
View Post

FF rocks, IE sucks.

What now

Oh burn! Lmao Jk.

But if IE8 Is this good I may give it a chance. Which is saying a lot, Since i won't let me or any of my family members use IE6-IE7. Just because of how unsafe they are. But hey I'll give IE8 a chance if it renders everything and makes it all easier on the web programmers

·
Your Worst Nightmare
1,208 Posts
NO!..FF, IE, and Opera all suck..netscape rules!...ahh not really..jokin
..FF rules

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neonlazer
View Post