Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Not really an overclocking issue I think (more an issue with boost mode), but I think it fits here.

There seems to be an issue with my new PC as soon as CPB (Core Performance Boost) is enabled (the option will let the CPU boost to 4.6GHz, a common procedure as it seems and also supported by my CPU - "AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 6C/12T, 3.70-4.60GHz"). When I disable CPB, the CPU stays at 3.7GHz also in boost mode and all weird problems are suddenly gone.

The weird problems I discovered:
  • Unable to start Elite Dangerous
  • Unable to start Star Citizen (because of invalid game files) (game sometimes start when I set DRAM voltage to 1.45V - even with CPB enabled)
  • DISK WRITE ERROR when downloading/updating Steam games
  • INVALID DEPOT CONFIGURATION error in Steam when downloading/updating Steam games
  • Steam downloads are stopping, only to resume again in 5 minutes - if not many times in the middle of the download, then at the very end (e.g. 425MB/425MB) and I have to manually resume the download
  • Unable to pack/unpack 7z files when I use a password for the archive file (CRC/Data error) - this one I also tested on a Live Linux USB stick - it happens there as well, except I set DRAM Voltage to 1.45V - but in Windows it happens even with 1.45V

All of the problems are gone when I disable CPB in BIOS (of course no solution for me, I'm already in contact with the manufacturer of the PC, as the problem also occurs in Linux, so maybe it's a hardware issue / compatibility issue).

Today I get RAM modules that are on the compatibility list of the mainboard's website (the manufacturer of the PC used RAM modules that are not on the list, so I ordered some to do this test before I send the PC back).

I'm using an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi, an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, an ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3080, a 500GB WD_BLACK SN750 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD, a bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200W power supply and "CMK32GX4M2B3200C16" (2x16GB) - I know, they are not on the compatibility list. Also tested with "CMK16GX4M2B3200C16(Ver5.32)" from a friend already, but they are not on the list either (only "CMK16GX4M2B3200C16(Ver4.24)" is on the list). So I ordered G.SKILL "F4-3200C14D-16GTZN" for testing. They will arrive today.
*EDIT/UPDATE: Tried it with the G.SKILL RAM from the compatibility list - same error, unless I deactivate CPB :-/

Prime95/memtest86 are running for hours without any errors. It's also not about my disks, they are fine. I'm also able to play games (even with CPB on for many hours, even demanding ones like MS Flight Simulator. It's really "just" the issues I reported above.

I'm on BIOS 2006 (latest non-beta) - is it worth a try to update to 2401 beta bios? I can't find any details what has been changed with "AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A" or what the "Improve system stability" exactly means.

Thanks!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Did you updated chipset drivers after bios flash?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
There seems to be an issue with my new PC as soon as CPB (Core Performance Boost) is enabled (the option will let the CPU boost to 4.6GHz, a common procedure as it seems and also supported by my CPU - "AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 6C/12T, 3.70-4.60GHz"). When I disable CPB, the CPU stays at 3.7GHz also in boost mode and all weird problems are suddenly gone.
CPB is an auto-OC Asus uses. To have stock performance while sometimes boosting up to 4.6 GHz on one core enable PBO or Precession Boost Overdrive. Don't enable the Fmax enhancer, if you have that option.

It sounds like your CPU is unstable with CPB on, I do not suspect memory issues. You aren't the first to report this issue, a bit of loss in the silicon lottery. :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
CPB is solely CPU feature, that enabled by default. Its basically what makes your proc. boost over max. P0 state frequency, 3700mhz. Something is really broken, if you need to turn it off to game.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you updated chipset drivers after bios flash?
They have been the latest ones (from AMD website, not Asus), even before the BIOS update. Or did you mean to re-install the same drivers again?

CPB is an auto-OC Asus uses. To have stock performance while sometimes boosting up to 4.6 GHz on one core enable PBO or Precession Boost Overdrive. Don't enable the Fmax enhancer, if you have that option.

It sounds like your CPU is unstable with CPB on, I do not suspect memory issues. You aren't the first to report this issue, a bit of loss in the silicon lottery. :(
Too bad, but I guess the same. Think I have to return this system to the vendor then. I ask myself how this can get through quality checks of AMD?
Here is what I've tried already regarding your mentioned settings:
Fehler means errors mentioned above occur, Funktioniert means that none of the errors mentioned above occurred.

CPB is solely CPU feature, that enabled by default. Its basically what makes your proc. boost over max. P0 state frequency, 3700mhz. Something is really broken, if you need to turn it off to game.
As said, I can play for hours with CPB enabled, or even let prime95/memtest86 running for hours. It's only that the 2 games don't start (together with the other issues), and both games are complaining about verifying game files.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
Too bad, but I guess the same. Think I have to return this system to the vendor then. I ask myself how this can get through quality checks of AMD?
It passes AMD's spec if it works with CPB disabled. The second line is "stock" every other test you ran was overclocked. CPB is not guaranteed to work by AMD or anyone else.

You are not supposed to see >3.6 GHz all core unless you overclock, and sometimes overclocking doesn't work since by definition it is running the CPU out of spec. It sucks when you get a poor CPU, but it was correct to get through the quality check of AMD since it does work properly at stock.

I would not fault you for returning it, but do understand that it is working "as advertised".

·
Registered
95 Posts
It passes AMD's spec if it works with CPB disabled. The second line is "stock" every other test you ran was overclocked. CPB is not guaranteed to work by AMD or anyone else.

You are not supposed to see >3.6 GHz all core unless you overclock, and sometimes overclocking doesn't work since by definition it is running the CPU out of spec. It sucks when you get a poor CPU, but it was correct to get through the quality check of AMD since it does work properly at stock.

I would not fault you for returning it, but do understand that it is working "as advertised".
You are so incorrect about this it is hilarious. Stop spreading fud man stop it. Its a processor feature since the phenom days. There is an issue with his cpu if he cant run it stock and yes stock is with CPB on. That is considered stock as its a STOCK option across all bios manufacturers in AMD's AGESA configuration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Confused by the last 2 comments now :-D

But the manufacturer (one.de) already said that I should return it and that they will check it after I've described the errors.

Would be bad if they say the same as Asmodian after testing.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,117 Posts
Confused by the last 2 comments now :-D

But the manufacturer (one.de) already said that I should return it and that they will check it after I've described the errors.

Would be bad if they say the same as Asmodian after testing.
Whoa wait... the manufacturer? You paid some company to put this system together for you? This is a big reason why we strongly advise here on OCN to build the computer yourself. That means you buy the parts, and put it all together yourself at home.

I think you should completely reset the CMOS and set up the BIOS settings yourself. As the expression goes, only God knows what they did. There's also no guarantee that whoever built your computer did things the way they were trained to do it by that company. Or for all we know, maybe they let their employees do what they think is best. That would be awful, but you can't be too careful.

Edit: I don't mean that you should load the optimized defaults. I mean you should completely reset the CMOS. You can either shut the system down, turn off the PSU, remove the battery, wait a minute or two and press the power button on your computer case to ensure the motherboard capacitors are discharged, or you can jump the clear CMOS pins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already did CMOS reset by connecting the 2 pins. Some settings were reset, but not all of them. Maybe I have to connect the pins longer? Did content them for about 10 seconds.

But also with loading defaults (with CPB enabled), the errors occur.

I'm not sure that this is an issue with BIOS/Mainboard, more with its settings. If somebody can suggest voltage settings? But to make it clear: I don't want to overclock, just to have a stable system running on default (with CPB enabled).

Only the errors I mentioned occur, playing games and running tests (prime95/memtest86) work fine. Maybe the manufacturer didn't notice it therefore. The errors I experience are very specific.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,117 Posts
Already did CMOS reset by connecting the 2 pins. Some settings were reset, but not all of them. Maybe I have to connect the pins longer? Did content them for about 10 seconds.

I'm not sure that this is an issue with BIOS/Mainboard, more with its settings. If somebody can suggest voltage settings? But to make it clear: I don't want to overclock, just to have a stable system running on default (with CPB enabled).

Only the errors I mentioned occur, playing games and running tests (prime95/memtest86) work fine. Maybe the manufacturer didn't notice it therefore. The errors I experience are very specific.
You may need to flash to the latest BIOS. Which version do you have now?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,117 Posts

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
You are so incorrect about this it is hilarious. Stop spreading fud man stop it. Its a processor feature since the phenom days. There is an issue with his cpu if he cant run it stock and yes stock is with CPB on. That is considered stock as its a STOCK option across all bios manufacturers in AMD's AGESA configuration.
I always thought CPB was a Asus only feature that was trying to run the CPU faster than stock. Core Performance Boost is not a name AMD has ever mentioned in any of their CPU discussions. Asus has enabled features that overclock all core CPU performance by default for a very long time. I now see others saying it is simply Asus's name for what AMD calls Precision Boost and Extended Frequency Range combined together, but I haven't been able to find any documentation about it for Ryzen 5000 outside forum posts. :p

Asus's description literally calls it overclocking the CPU: "Automatically overclocks the CPU and DRAM to enhance system performance". It doesn't seem to do that though, so why that is the description who knows. 🤷‍♂️

A quick test turning it off was pretty convincing, it never clocks above the base clocks no matter what, so I guess you are correct. Why can't Asus just call it by AMD's name(s). :p

FUD is not a synonym for being wrong. I do not see how I was spreading fear.

After clearing up my massive misunderstanding about what CPB does (!) I believe your CPU is simply bad. You will need to get a new one. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Core Performance Boost is not a name AMD has ever mentioned in any of their CPU discussions. Asus has enabled features that overclock all core CPU
Have to agree, it all may sometimes be really confusing. But to put it simple, there are marketing terms, and those, stated in official docs. For example, Precision Boost (marketing) and CPB - its internal name for boosting functionality (former XFR), lol.
Asus btw, have its own feature, called "Fmax enhancer".
Various "game modes", etc are basically sets of pretuned pbo limits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems like latest beta-BIOS left beta status 2 days ago. I'm now on BIOS version 2403 from June 19th, but the situation stays the same :-/

Seems to be a hardware issue then (CPU / Mainboard)

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
It is the CPU, not the mainboard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let's see what the manufacturer says - I bought it as "complete PC", but with the components I selected, so I have warranty (and will send it back for repair/exchange)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The errors might be due to the cpu being unstable with single core low load boosts. Corecycler might help to narrow that down. Should not happen stock though so sending it back is probably the right thing to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I find so strange: every issue (steam downloads, extracting files with passwords, verify game files) seems to be somehow "file-related", but there are no issues during gaming.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts