Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues raising my ram timings from 14-14-14-30 to 15-15-15-35, or even 16-16-16-36

All secondary timings left at Auto, but with xmp profile. Oddly enough my 128gb of tridentz was originally rated for 15-15-15-35.

Any ideas what is causing this issue? Cant get it to post no mattwe what I do. Im thinking its one of the secondary timings that I need to edit, but ive no idea what? I want to try to raise timings so I can get 3200mhz stable

Threadripper 1950x
128gb tridentz
gigabyte x399 aorus

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Getting 128 Gigs of memory to run on any (non-server) motherboard is a difficult task at best. And then overclock it ????!!!!!

You're severely taxing the memory controller - Try increasing the memory voltage and the memory controller's voltage.
(Note that the voltages listed in the QVL list are for a single stick.at stock speed and timings).

Then there's XMP:

Background (simplified):

When any computer starts up the BIOS reads the SPD tables programmed into the memory. You can download and run CPU-Z to see the SPD tables in your memory. The BIOS then uses the memory speed and memory timings from the SPD tables that corresponds to the CPU speed that is set in the BIOS.

XMP profiles were developed to allow automatically setting not only memory speed and timings automatically, but also memory voltage. So, with the added ability to increase voltage, memory manufacturers could program SPD tables that run the memory even faster with the higher voltages available, and do that automatically too.

But the whole concept of XMP is faulted because the person writing the XMP SPD table for the memory has no idea what motherboard, CPU, what other peripherals are connected to your motherboard, nor even how many memory sticks you have installed. So, XMP profiles are just a guess at what memory overclock will work for the widest range of motherboards, CPUs, memory, and computer configurations. They have nothing to do with what your specific setup is. ... they're just a guess.

Do they work? Sometimes, sometimes not. And even if they do work it is unlikely they are the best settings for you particular setup.

Memory setting (with or without overclocking) is best done by manually setting the memory settings in the BIOS.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not running xmp profile for the primary timings, im only using it so it sets the secondary timings. I manually tweaked my setup to run at 14-14-14-30, even though its supposed to run at 15-15-15-35.

Id like to bump it to 15 now however, so I can get 3200mhz stable

1 - 3 of 3 Posts