Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any of you guys ever had this message after installing a Windows 10 dual boot with Ubuntu 21.04? :unsure:

After I got this message I installed 20.04.02 LTS to see if that has the same issue and it doesn't have this problem. Now around the web I see about security vulnerabilities that hit Grub2 some time ago, so it might have to do with some of that. I've never seen this issue before.

I've tried repairing the bootloader with the boot-repair application from booting a bootable Ubuntu USB stick. That works, but after 1 Windows boot I get the same issue again. Again, this issue isn't occurring with 20.04.02 LTS.

What's the cause of this? I have no idea. Any help is welcome!

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
You need to chroot into your install, otherwise you're trying to update the image you booted off, not the one you actually have installed.

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
No, you do not need to chroot to re-install grub. check 'man 8 grub-install'.
Fair enough.

However, that's not what basschilperoord did, and what he did should have worked with chroot. I probably should have quoted that post to be clear what I was responding to.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
Tried it, doesn't help. I mounted my Ubuntu partition and ran sudo update-grub (which ran fine), but the boot menu still doesn't work with 21.04.
you need to do this 1st:

Code:
sudo chroot /mnt
then,

Code:
grub-install /dev/sd*
grub-install --recheck /dev/sd*
where * is the drive letter

then lastly do the grub upgrade

this is what I usually do with my office workstations when I just want to upgrade grub to whatever's latest..

sorry for the late reply..I am in a different timezone and last night that was very late already I fell asleep..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try later, thanks y'all. @nawk I didn't do anything harming to my computer. Thanks for the concern. :)

Another weird remark:
The thing about this problem is that it appears after I start booting Windows. Before that the Grub bootloader is still normal and starts as expected. So Windows might be doing something to the 21.04 bootloader that isn't yet known (I have no idea why and how). I know 21.04 is not appearing to be the most stable version of Ubuntu, so I'm careful with it.

The funny thing is, this doesn't happen with 20.04.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I managed to run through the commands
you need to do this 1st:

Code:
sudo chroot /mnt
then,

Code:
grub-install /dev/sd*
grub-install --recheck /dev/sd*
where * is the drive letter

then lastly do the grub upgrade

this is what I usually do with my office workstations when I just want to upgrade grub to whatever's latest..

sorry for the late reply..I am in a different timezone and last night that was very late already I fell asleep..
I managed to run through these commads (needed some additional mounting for EFI partition), but got my ubuntu OS to boot. Then I went to grub upgrade again to add windows, rebooted, and got back to the beginning issue... Not sure of a way forward here without a windows or ubuntu patch to resolve this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Here bro, It all started after I updated my ubuntu 20.04.
I was successful in fixing it with boot-repair. It was booting fine to ubuntu.
But when I got back to windows and tried to reboot to ubuntu I got this error again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same Here bro, It all started after I updated my ubuntu 20.04.
I was successful in fixing it with boot-repair. It was booting fine to ubuntu.
But when I got back to windows and tried to reboot to ubuntu I got this error again. View attachment 2520991
That's EXACTLY the issue I was having as well. This really needs to be looked into. The Ubuntu OS itself works fine, but this ain't right.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I managed to run through the commands

I managed to run through these commads (needed some additional mounting for EFI partition), but got my ubuntu OS to boot. Then I went to grub upgrade again to add windows, rebooted, and got back to the beginning issue... Not sure of a way forward here without a windows or ubuntu patch to resolve this.
Yeap, same issue. Mokshith mentioning that as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts