Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any flicker issues with Call of Duty 4 and the ATI 5850's?

I just set up a pair and the game flickers in both the startup menu and actual gameplay.

FPS are fine (running about 250 average at 1920x1200 with 4x AA)but there are bands of flickering running up and down the screen.

The odd thing is that Call of Duty World at War (which uses the same engine) runs perfectly.

I tried a couple of other games and ran 3dmark06, all without issue.

I monitored the cards temps and they never exceeded mid 50's celcius under load.

My 3dmark06 score (ironically enough) is actually a bit higher than I got with a pair of 5870's (all other settings the same). Not sure how that happened but that's a good thing.

Next option would be to roll back to a prior driver version (I am running 9.11 currently) but the game ran fine with these drivers with my 5870.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the 9.10's same issue...

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I disabled CF and the issue stopped.

I switched the order of the cards with CF disabled (to make sure they both work fine). Both run flawlessly.

I re-ran COD WAW and it runs like silk. I mean really, really smooth (something to do with north of 200 FPS average I think).

I am going to try changing the crossfire bridge but I don't that that is the issue here.

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Robilar,

Have you tried the new Catalyst 9.12's BETA ?

• Rep+
Reactions: Robilar

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Used both single and dual bridges just in case.

Tried both ribbons in both spots.

I'm currently downloading the 9.12 betas and will try them as well.

found another thread with the same issue.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=106587

Here the posted suggested it was a color tone setting issue.

I looked at my settings and they are already at default.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Na not single vs dual, try one ribbon and then try the other. I've seen two cases in this section of he forum in the past month of people having a bad ribbons. Thought it was rare but apparently not so rare. If you have already tried alternating cables, the only other thing I can think of is the game itself. Some have success uninstalling and re-installing the game. Backup you game files.

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used driver sweeper.

Tried two different ribbons (both new).

I actually didn't run the game with crossfire 5870's, only with a single 5870. (I had already sold one of my 5870's).

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 45nm
View Post

Robilar,

Have you tried the new Catalyst 9.12's BETA ?

A huge thanks mate

The 9.12 beta's you suggested work like a charm.

REP+

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Glad to see you got it worked out Robilar, especially sine I'll be crossfiring the same cards eventually.

Have fun with those sexy beasts!

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
I have not experienced any issues with COD4 and Crossfire 5850's and Catalyst 9.10.

I am running Windows 7 though. I could not run anything with the 9.11 drivers.

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the problem is persisting.

The only way to resolve it is after going into windows, disable crossfire, reboot system with crossfire disabled and then re-enable it. After that it runs fine until restarted.

Very annoying...

I submitted belarc, dxdiag and msconfig reports to AMD. They are currently testing a similar build with XP to determine the problem.

My thought is that it occurs on windows start up when CCC initializes crossfire. Something to do with the crossfire startup config causes this issue.

When I manually enable crossfire after a restart, the computer runs flawlessly until I shut it down.

Ironic? The tech I spoke to ( a senior tech after escalation) told me he thought that you couldn't even crossfire 5850's....

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
A little off topic but I'm having issues with both, CODMW and CODWAW, with a single 5850 and cat.9.11. As of yet, I have not tried the 9.12 betas.

·
Premium Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had issues with COD4 which the 9.12's resolved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts