Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm trying to get 16gbs of DDR4 3200mhz ram working in Quad channel on this motherboard and nothing seems to work. Figured before I give up I would post about it. Here's whats going on:

Specs: Asus X99a/usb3.1 with latest Bios
Intel 5820K
4x4GB Gskill 3200mhz F4-3200C16Q-16GVK

So no matter what I do I cannot get the BIOS or windows to recognize more than 8GBs of out the 16GBs. I have tried raising the DRAM voltage all the way to 1.45 and still nothing. Tried bumping the System Agent Voltage a bit, no help. Tried enabling and disabling ram related settings. Tried a bunch of different combinations of ram slots, nothing. XMP on or off doesnt make a difference. I am about to return the motherboard and get a different model. Before I do, any suggestions? Upon googling this issue it seems to be a really common issue, and I didn't find anyone who solved it.

Is it difficult to get quad channel working with faster ram in general?

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
subbed.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last bump

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Figure out if this problem is:
a) DIMM (ram stick) related
b) Motherboard related
c) CPU related (defective memory controller, not that rare)

Run each memory channel individually? (check mobo manual). See if they all get picked up correctly. (One DIMM, at slot at a time)
This will give you information about the working/defective memory channels

Find a setup that works with 8GB (DIMM_1, DIMM_2), then add another 4 (DIMM_3). Not picked up? Remove DIMM_2, replace it by DIMM_3. etc
This will confirm that all modules are functional.

Do you have another CPU to test with? Or one you could borrow from some one for diagnostic purposes? Try your RAM in a different system?

Is your RAM on the QVL list?

If CPU and RAM are both fully functional, it's your board not willing to play. Try a different RAM kit or a different board.

·
Banned
720 Posts
No problems on my setup.

I have a x99 Deluxe with a 5820K and 4 sticks of Kingston (HyperX Predator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2666 CL13-14-14 1.35V (Hynix))

Never had a single issue with memory so I'd guess it's a compatibility issue with the RAM? Check that XMP is detecting the RAM correctly. I have had issues with that in the past. Also good suggestion above to check the Qualified Vendor List for RAM compatibility.

So I'm trying to get 16gbs of DDR4 3200mhz ram working in Quad channel on this motherboard and nothing seems to work. Figured before I give up I would post about it. Here's whats going on:

Specs: Asus X99a/usb3.1 with latest Bios
Intel 5820K
4x4GB Gskill 3200mhz F4-3200C16Q-16GVK

So no matter what I do I cannot get the BIOS or windows to recognize more than 8GBs of out the 16GBs. I have tried raising the DRAM voltage all the way to 1.45 and still nothing. Tried bumping the System Agent Voltage a bit, no help. Tried enabling and disabling ram related settings. Tried a bunch of different combinations of ram slots, nothing. XMP on or off doesnt make a difference. I am about to return the motherboard and get a different model. Before I do, any suggestions? Upon googling this issue it seems to be a really common issue, and I didn't find anyone who solved it.

Is it difficult to get quad channel working with faster ram in general?

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried each dim individually. It seems only two dims are working. I tried each stick in a working dim and they all worked.

I'm not really sure if this ram is on the QVL list because of the way GSKILL does their product numbers. The last part of my product number doesnt match up with whats on the QVL list but as far as I can tell the last part after the hyphen is just to indicate what heat spreader it uses and doesnt seems to matter otherwise. The timings and voltages all match up with what is on the closest model on the QVL list. That said, I cannot even get it to see all 4 sticks at 2133mhz so XMP is far off at this point.

I don't have another CPU to test with. I bought this CPU used on ebay and the seller seemed to just be ur average gamer. No indication that there is any issue with the CPU.

I've ordered a replacement motherboard.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: got a different motherboard and it had the same issue. Infact it seemed the ram only worked in the same 2 slots as the first mobo so I think it must be a CPU issue. I sent the CPU back, will get another.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Dual channel kit looks like no mention of any x99 boards on the qvl list all z170-270-370
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-16gvk

You'd need quad channel kit mentioned in the spec's probably why it's not working
I have this kit in my x99 sabertooth working good old school x99 only mentioned in the spec's no mention of z170 or.. dual channel
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232348

Also have this C16 in my x299 notice it states x99 and z170 on it meaning quad or dual channel but will not work on my sabertooth I assume the latency is too high C14 works best or work period :)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231928

Mother board not the problem
CPU not the problem

Memory is the problem send it back and get x99 quad channel kit.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi,
Dual channel kit looks like no mention of any x99 boards on the qvl list all z170-270-370
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-16gvk

You'd need quad channel kit mentioned in the spec's probably why it's not working
I have this kit in my x99 sabertooth working good old school x99 only mentioned in the spec's no mention of z170 or.. dual channel
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232348

Also have this C16 in my x299 notice it states x99 and z170 on it meaning quad or dual channel but will not work on my sabertooth I assume the latency is too high C14 works best or work period :)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231928

Mother board not the problem
CPU not the problem

Memory is the problem send it back and get x99 quad channel kit.
The kit I have is a quad channel kit. Even if its not on the QVL, Shouldn't the ram still work at 2133mhz?

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Not according to the link of the memory I posted
If you have another link of the purchased kit post it.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Yep existing kit is doing what it's supposed to be doing
Like z170-270-370 it's working at dual channel and ignoring quad dimm slots.
DDR4 has really confused people thinking any ddr4 will work in quad channel :)
If the memory states dual & quad channel there is always a chance the board will not work with it like I stated with my x99 sabertooth 3200C16 dual & quad channel kit wouldn't even boot lol :D

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,
Yep existing kit is doing what it's supposed to be doing
Like z170-270-370 it's working at dual channel and ignoring quad dimm slots.
DDR4 has really confused people thinking any ddr4 will work in quad channel :)
If the memory states dual & quad channel there is always a chance the board will not work with it like I stated with my x99 sabertooth 3200C16 dual & quad channel kit wouldn't even boot lol :D
Yes it sure has. I built a system with quad channel DDR3 a while ago and expected this to be similar.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Just send it back and get either of the kits I posted in the amount of memory you want
C14 version rocks by the way anything that will work in x99 sabertooth is amazing it doesn't list anything over 2400 as compatible lol :)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I've never had an issue with dual channel kits on quad channel board. Working at rated speeds is one thing, but not working at all at any speeds is another. The imc on the chip might hold it back from running 3200+ or similar, but no reason that it shouldn't run at default settings for the board. I have an x99A-II, running two pairs of dual channel team 3000mhz ram. No mention of it in the QVL list. It works at default settings as i'd expect any ram kit to and also works with xmp.

If switching the board didn't work, I'd bet the problem is with the cpu.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now that I got QVL ram and a different CPU it is working.

It did take some effort though, it didn't just work right away. I still had to try a bunch of different ram slot configurations before it worked. Then I stress tested and the temps were bad so I went to redo the thermal paste and reseated my CPU in the process. After reseating it, it wouldn't boot until I moved the ram around some more.

But it does work, and I do have quad channel working with XMP.

Now the only issue I'm having is the temps. I'm reaching 77c at only 4ghz 1.225v. Going to have to get a better heatsink or something I guess. This CPU does seem to run hotter than average. I may swap it out again....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts