Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution here but more some feed back. It may be that I managed to screw this up all on my own. Excuse me if the info below is not that precise as I'm a relative novice.

On my sig rig below , I've had no issues at all with any of the Catalyst releases (had up to 9.2 installed with no issues at all) or crossfire and have generally been happy. With one exception. I could not overclock my cards at all. Even the slightest of overclocks would result in artifacting in ATITool. I thought long and hard about flashing the BIOS on my vanilla Sapphire 4870 512's to the Asus Top BIOS. Eventually, due to not being able to suppress the need to tinker any longer, I took the plunge and flashed the BIOS (in DOS , using atiflash). Now, I seem to have issues I did not have before.

Once I had flashed both cards (I actually flashed one, rebooted, then flashed the other), I rebooted into Windows with no problems. I then had to re-install drivers so I re-installed 9.2 and this is when I got the Code 43 error and that message that windows had disabled my second card due to driver incompatibility. Now I've done some searches and it appears there are loads of folks out there getting this message and the only drivers that are working are the 8.11's. I rolled back to these drivers and yes , both cards are working with no issues and at the new default clock speeds as set by the Asus Top BIOS. I just find it odd that before the BIOS flash, I had no issues with any drivers and now I can't use anything more recent than 8.11. This says to me the issues that a lot of people are experiencing are not actually driver related as they're all saying ? Any thoughts on this ? Did I go about this in the wrong way ?

As it is now , my system seems stable with new clock speeds and have gained quite a few points in 3DMark06. However, I'm not all that happy with the fact I'm restricted to using 4 month old drivers. Any advice ? Should I flash my cards back to their original BIOS and try 9.2 again ? This is not what I want to do as I really do like the new clocks and fan profile the Asus BIOS gives me. Perhaps I should just wait for 9.3 and try those when they come out.

As I said , not necessarily looking for answers here but just your thoughts or would also like to know if anyone else is experiencing such issues with the newer drivers and crossfire configurations.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Catalyst 9.3 are due for the 18th so if I'd were you, I'd just wait for em, else you can always flash your BIOS back. However if you couldn't oc them before, I'd advise to go with a modded BIOS instead of your original Sapphire one.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have had problems with 9.1 and 9.2 cats on my single Visiontek 4870 with the ASUS TOP BIOS. Works fine at the default clocks, but not OCd. Still not sure if it is the OC or the drivers exactly- I'll roll back to 8.11 and see if I can get the monster OC again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an FYI/Heads Up on the subject of this thread. It's the Asus TOP BIOS that is causing the problems (imo) and not the drivers. I waited for 9.3 to come out hoping it would solve the issues stated in my original post but alas, got the same errors.

I flashed my cards back to the stock Sapphire BIOS and have subsequently been able to install the latest drivers with no issues.

Cruddy fan profile though !!

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Yeah, never ever flash a card with another's BIOS. It's always better to extract the card's original BIOS and modify that.

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
Even using RBE on both my cards original BIOS files had caused issues with crossfire and the 9.2 drivers. I think part of the reason is the stock cooling on my Sapphire card not being adequate enough, but it has been a long and troublesome road getting my crossfire up and running. I ultimately ended up creating a BIOS file for each of my cards where the only thing I modified was the default hash marks for the OC limits in CCC. At first I was setting 3D clocks to 800 stock and memory to 1000 stock but it caused problems with 3D clock switching on my Sapphire card in crossfire.

I haven't tried the 9.3's yet as I am still waiting to put my Zalman VF1000 on my Sapphire card to keep the temps down. The whole thing has been somewhat of a let down, but only because my choice in cards. My VisionTek (when it was solo) had no issues with 830 on the core and 1100 on the memory. Temps would stay in the mid 60's for the gpu/shader/memio. The Sapphire with stock cooling at a mere 800 core and 1000 memory hits mid 70's on the gpu and 80's on the memio which would cause instability when folding on both cards (and those temps are with ocz freeze on the gpu and the cooling fan at leaf blower sounding speeds).

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Going over the clock limits set by the BIOS often causes problems with the driver, so it wouldn't be a surprise if things like Crossfire begin to act funny. The hash hack usually works, but it also can cause problems with drivers. You just have to settle with what causes the least amount of issues for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts