Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new build. I just want to hear from you guys if these parts will work together or not. I've read about some GPU's not working on older boards, and I've also been looking into bridgeless crossfire, so just want to be sure I won't run into issues.

Specs:
2600k and Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) (supposedly been flashed to B3 BIOS for gen 3 support).
GPU either a single RX 580 or crossfire RX 570's

Curious if I'll have issues between either GPU setup and the motherboard I'm choosing.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Subbed.

Ivy should work on a newer BIOS (F7. Currently it's flashed to an older version, f3h)
smile.gif

It would be interesting to get some clarity on the issues people are having.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
AMD responded to my question. A pretty vague, useless response, unfortunately. Basically they say it "could cause some issues" which I established I was aware of when I asked the question, rather I was hoping for specificity and clarification.
doh.gif

I'll push for a more coherent response...but not hopeful.

I would be surprised if the board won't run it, but who knows what configuration will work, if any? Cross flashing the motherboard to a Z68 EFI with a modded BIOS could fix it, updating to an EFI has helped several people with Giga boards, but doing so could cause the OEM Windows 7 key not to activate (after flashing it to Z68, I believe Windows will consider it a different motherboard, but it might be possible to avoid changing how the board identifies itself by telling it not to update the DMI when flashing, I'm not sure). The EFI might not be as stable, or have more limited overclocking options, which is common. I've tried the EFI once, and it looked OK, but I spent all of 5min with it (long story), so can't vouch for it. Getting Vega to work could require a newer OS; some people have better luck on Windows 10, some don't.

Personally if it were me, I'd consider buying the card to try it, and if it doesn't work, send it back rather than endure Windows 10 or BIOS aggravation.

I know you've said you want the board regardless, but know that if you decide you no longer want to make the purchase because of this, there's no hard feelings.
thumb.gif

EDIT: Another reply from AMD. Not much better.

I'll contact Gigabyte tonight for giggles.

Likely first hand experience from a forum member with Vega on older systems would be far more helpful.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are awesome for going that extra mile.
biggrin.gif

I know I won't have any issues with a GTX 1070Ti or something worst comes to worst. So meh. I also have my 7970 still (sig rig is still 110% fully functional). All I can seem to find about RX cards and not working on older rigs is RX 480's, and that its either a UEFI or power from the PCIe slots issue (hard to say, as I've been reading both). Nothing about the RX 5 series. Meh, *shrugs.
rolleyes.gif

Thought maybe somebody else on the forum might have attempted to run an RX 5 series card on a P67 board. I can't be the only one crazy enough to try it.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: pioneerisloud

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
I believe Sandy is not PCIE 3.0 capable, so would be very interested in hearing from anyone with Vega on Sandy Bridge...

...as ontariotl suggested that issues are due to lack of PCIE 3.0 on Sandy Bridge CPUs, and seeing as Ivy Bridge owners don't seem to have issues, that makes sense. I always thought PCIE 2 and 3 were backwards compatible, but perhaps not necessarily. Despite AMD claiming PCIE 2.0 could work, first hand experience is preferable.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.
smile.gif

Edit: Members using Vega on Sandy Bridge so far:
1. raysheri -- 2600k -- MIVE
2. Grummpy -- 2700k -- Unknown

Response from Gigabyte. The English is not so great:
I take it to mean that you might have a problem with a BIOS and PCIE 2.0.

Looks like many people have had good luck getting GIgabyte P67 boards working after updating to a UEFI. I'll see if I can get them to clarify and ask if there's a UEFI for this board (or maybe they can make one so flashing to a Z68 UD7 and potentially losing the Windows key activation won't be necessary).

Edit2: Just sent them a reply asking for clarification etc.

Edit3: An answer; it seems to confirm they're saying both legacy BIOS and PCIE 2.0 can be an issue. Even going as far as "I don't think card will work correctly on MB."

I replied again asking them to make a proper UEFI for the board. Can't hurt to ask, and it really should have been done a long time ago IMO (IIRC other boards like the UD3 have had UEFI for years).

Edit4: They won't create a UEFI as it's "discontinued" and confirmed they think Vega has a "need" for both UEFI and PCIE 3.0.

Given the people with Vega on Sandy, it seems UEFI is more of a definite need. Even so, I have to wonder if it's the supposed inflexibility of Windows 8 and 10's UEFI implementation relative to Windows 7. It would be particularly interesting to see if any are using a legacy BIOS system.

Edit 5: For some fool reason I thought Vega 64 was an RX 580 (Polaris). I feel pretty stupid.Oh well, hopefully it will help someone in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts