Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have torn my hair out over the past 24 hours trying to figure this issue out, and I can't. Here is the situation, sorry for the length of this but I want to be as detailed as possible,

-After assembling the new build I booted up, installed Windows, and installed the drivers as normal. However I was being lazy and installed the AMD drivers off the CD (against my better judgement)
-Immediately afterwards I rebooted and would get a 1/4 sec flash on the screen and lose the GPU signal
-By constantly rebooting, resetting CMOS, or reseating the memory I would sometimes get the signal back on reboot. other times the problem would persist.
-I had the "Initial Display Output" in the BIOS set to default to PCIe slot as normal. There are no other options related to disabling onboard video or disabling multi monitor support.
-After a successful reboot I reinstalled Windows and installed ONLY the newest AMD drivers. Upon reboot the same issue happened. No signal after rebooting.
-I tried using a known working memory kit and had the same issue.
-Using a known working motherboard, CPU, and power supply in another rig I installed the GPU in there and encountered the same issue. However when switching the DVI cable to my onboard video I then had a signal. However in this BIOS I had onboard video disabled, multi-monitor support disabled, and default display output to PCIe. But once I rebooted I lost the signal from both onboard and the GPU.

So far it sounds like a faulty GPU right? Not so fast!

-Back to the original rig: I installed my old 8800GT into the motherboard and reinstalled Windows. Upon reboot I encountered almost the exact same issue. Instead of losing the signal entirely, I retain the signal but it is just a black screen. If I unplug and replug the DVI cable the screen flashes to Windows and right back to black. If I reboot a few times in a row sometimes the signal sticks and I can see the BIOS and boot up. But not always.
-This is a known-working GPU on a fresh install on Windows with no drivers at all.

Somebody please help me diagnose this problem. I have no idea what to do.

EDIT, Equipment List:
Xeon 1231v3
MSI R9 390 Gaming
Gigabyte Z97X UD3H
Mushkin Stealth 2x8gb DDR3 1600
EVGA 850 B2

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Maybe it's the dvi cable? Maybe bios runs at lower resolution or something and then when you get into windows native res kicks in and it black screens? Very strange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried 2 different VI cables (2 different monitors too)

Strange indeed.

I actually tried again to install the GPU into my other PC and after a little fiddling I got it to work. So I installed the OS and drivers there and swapped the GPU and SSD back into the other rig.

Of course now the rig refuses to recognize the SSD as a boot drive. Perhaps that's because I installed the OS on a different motherboard (Windows 10 crap) or maybe it is something else.

At this point I'm about to chalk this up to just getting a bunk motherboard.

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Have you checked if the motherboard has the latest bios?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4960#dl

If not i recommend updating it. also, looking at the mobo layout . . . the sata cables may be keeping the gpu from fully inserting itself to the slot.

edit: and yes, HDD with an OS will only work with the original mobo. although, i had some AM3 mobos that worked just swapping HDD with another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts