1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Amateur Games Dev
4,084 Posts
Solar storms are occurring towards us all the time. What we need to be worried about is a giant one like the one in the 1860's that melted telegraph poles. Our electrical grid isn't hardened against anything like that (because the powers that be...) and will go down like Christmas lights when we do get a super storm again.

Edit: After reading the article, I can safely say it was a slow news day for them so they sensationalized a CME.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I was listening to a program about it on NPR, and apparently this one is pretty large and has a very good chance of messing with communication and GPS satellites. They also made a comment about it providing temporarily relief from "domestic surveillance" *coughNSAcough*

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

Boycotting the sun for trying to screw the earthlings out of their internet.
Good idea! Quick someone start a petition on Change.org to have the sun executed. I have had enough of the abuse!

·
Super Moderator
9,195 Posts
Okay? There was a big one that missed us by a couple weeks in our orbit last month. They happen. Trying to hit the Earth from the sun is extremely difficult. Try hitting a centimeter marble with a 120mm tank cannon with a scope on it (big sniper rifle) from 100km away.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

Boycotting the sun for trying to screw the earthlings out of their internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post

If this affects me, I'm sueing the Sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

Good idea! Quick someone start a petition on Change.org to have the sun executed. I have had enough of the abuse!
Great - heres a link to the Sun - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

And I hope you do sue, and execute, its the worst UK rag out for the brain-dead masses.......
tongue.gif

·
Registered
779 Posts
ain't nobody got time for that. just dont disrupt my part of the power grid, or my com satellites
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
its traveling at 2,000,000 MPH, and they have to guess it will enter in 1-3 days? that is a pretty large deviation considering that we have modern mathematics that could tell us precisely how long it will take to get here...

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoopscooper View Post

its traveling at 2,000,000 MPH, and they have to guess it will enter in 1-3 days? that is a pretty large deviation considering that we have modern mathematics that could tell us precisely how long it will take to get here...
CMEs aren't finished in an instant of time, the deviation probably accommodates the duration of time that the CME took place, which would have to be adjusted for rotation, orbits, etc. As an example you could have 24-50 hours of possible CME impact and that would cover 1-3 days.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Too bad I got excited that this one was gonna be the one to take out all electrical devices on earth I wouldnt mind the near extinction of 99.999999% of the planet due to the loss of Electrical devices its kinda poetic actually.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts