Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started the planning and design stage for my new external watercooling system. I have opted for a dual radiator setup (mostly because I think it would look much cooler for the sides of the radiator to be made up of the two radiators, than to have metal on one side and radiator on the other). With two fans in the middle.

Here is my question, what CFM fans do you think I would have to combine with 2 dual heatercores to cool one of those 437 watt monsters they call the Dominator Pro Rev. 2.0.

For those who need info on the Waterblock:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...x-blc-134.html

And I was considering two of these ( even though 100 for fans hurts my pocketbook)

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-88.html

For the record the total Decibels on two of those would be around 55 Decibels, which is still less loud than 1 92mm Tornado

But im trying to get by with a little less noise and or a little less cost. So what do you guys think would be sufficent?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
holy shiznit...are u gunna try and break some kinda record? but that looks sweet...i wanna get 1 of those fans...too bad there isnt a LEd version lol

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

I have started the planning and design stage for my new external watercooling system. I have opted for a dual radiator setup (mostly because I think it would look much cooler for the sides of the radiator to be made up of the two radiators, than to have metal on one side and radiator on the other). With two fans in the middle.

Here is my question, what CFM fans do you think I would have to combine with 2 dual heatercores to cool one of those 437 watt monsters they call the Dominator Pro Rev. 2.0.

For those who need info on the Waterblock:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...x-blc-134.html

And I was considering two of these ( even though 100 for fans hurts my pocketbook)

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-88.html

For the record the total Decibels on two of those would be around 55 Decibels, which is still less loud than 1 92mm Tornado

But im trying to get by with a little less noise and or a little less cost. So what do you guys think would be sufficent?

You're nuts
Don't forget the 800watt 24volt power supply...probably run you about $400 to find one with enough current.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering I am an EE student, I can cobble together the PSU without much issue

and Smily I'll make you one if you buy the parts and pay me for it

Just lemmie do mine first to see if it'll work. lol

Also those fans dont require that much current to run, only 1.6 amps so two of them in series would be 3.2 amps at 14 volts. Thats an easy PSU to make, so forget a huge PSU.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man the cost of this is busting my privates
luckily I wont be building till around christmas. Actually probably afterward because I shouldent bother to build it until Im back to my apartment. But I will have the cash, and the 1337 external watercooling system shall be mine!

Irony note: the computer science class I am currently taking (tis a requirement for everyone in the ecs school here at UTD) is CS 1337. So im 1337 guys

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

Considering I am an EE student, I can cobble together the PSU without much issue

and Smily I'll make you one if you buy the parts and pay me for it

Just lemmie do mine first to see if it'll work. lol

Also those fans dont require that much current to run, only 1.6 amps so two of them in series would be 3.2 amps at 14 volts. Thats an easy PSU to make, so forget a huge PSU.

The TEC is 32 amps x 26 volts = ~800 watts at 24volts though

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sub Zero load temps arent out of the question Shawn.

Yffy, if more than it comes out of the wall, then it can be stepped down to what I need. PSUs really arent all that complex when you consider the function they perform. Its just getting the combination of Capacitors and resistors wired correctly to get what you need.

Edit: or I could just get 2 meanwells, we shall see how much cash I have to spend and if I can afford 2 meanwells, I just might do that.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
just buy 4 crappy 500W psu's, one for each fan. That'll reach a total of like $100!
lol, by the way, its only me denmor, and Yiffy on right now, wow. lol

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive pretty much decided that I dont feel comfortable building a PSU to handle that much wattage (for the pelt) so I will probably connect 2 320 watt meanwells in series to get adequate power.

For the fans I am going to mod a used gateway PSU because Gateway uses small PSUs and I dont think a PSU exists that can't put out 3.6 amps on the 12 Volt rail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts