Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was walking down the street the other week and I kick something on the sidewalk. Low and behold it's a fantastic condition Blackberry Bold 9000 in a nice leather case. The guy must have lost it not 10 minutes before I walked by the same spot. I got home and decided to charge the phone and leave it on and see if the owner would call to see if anyone had recovered it. Well, it's been about 2 weeks now and I guess the old owner is not that concerned about his lost device. I guess he didn't have any friends either as his cellphone was practically factory! No numbers, no texts, no emails. The background was custom and the fonts were changed but that seemed to be it.

I was thinking of either selling it on eBay or possibly using it for my own personal use if the plans aren't insanely expensive. Would the provider be willing to just reset the phone and provide a new SIM card or will they ask that it be returned to the original owner? Have any of you guys found a lost cellphone?

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
If it's AT&T you should be able to just slap a sim card in and go if you don't want the data plan, you don't even have to tell them that you are using it.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
if it was reported stolen, well, good luck. take it to an (AT&T?) dealer and you can buy a new sim card for it. i'm not all too sure what your options are.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I currently use the Bold, and love it..... Fantastic phone quality.
To fully wipe the handheld go into Options --> Security Options --> General Settings --> Press the Blackberry Button and scroll down to the menu to "Wipe Handheld." Select that and it will ask you to type the word "blackberry" then it'll wipe the handheld clean.

Now, to use it on AT&T you will probably need a new SIM, but if you currently have an AT&T phone, then just try your SIM in it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Rogers phone. I didn't want to wipe the BlackBerry because I wasn't sure if he'd call or not. I guess I'll do that now, though.

If it's reported lost/stolen, what can I do? I don't want to give a guy his phone back after I wiped it. I don't need the law to come down on me hard. I want to sell it on eBay but I really don't need to have the buyer call me once they get it and say they can't do anything with it.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Possibly call the provider and supply them with the phone number of the device to get back to the original owner?

I mean, sure it had no contacts but correct me if I'm wrong the SIM has a S/N and has the phone number programmed into it. Why not help the person find their phone?

Finders/keepers isn't a good enough excuse IMHO on this. While your clearly in the right for not doing anything hoping they would call, they could just as easily say your stole it and god forbid it was used in a crime of some sort and now you have it.

As the old saying goes.. Honesty is the BEST policy.. Return it if you can.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
IIRC, I think rogers doesn't lock their phones. I could be wrong, though... I haven't worked with their devices in a bit. Who do you have for service?

The biggest problem I can see, really, is that you may have Rogers also, and *IF* they have the IMEI blocked internally due to an insurance claim, the worst I can see happening is that the phone will throw an error when you try to use it on their system.

My suggestion? Find a Rogers prepaid card. The phone will recognize it a a Rogers SIM. If the IMEI is hosed, you'll know quick enough, and anonymously, too. If it's not borked, and you have Rogers, enjoy your new toy!

Quick way to tell if it's locked is to use a *non* Rogers SIM in it. If it works, you're good, and rarely do providers share lost/stolen phone info between one another. Sad but true.

Either way about it, you won't have to worry... To my knowledge (and I'm a Tech Service Manager for a GSM company in the US) there is no way to disable the phone remotely, so, you should be good with the prepaid trick.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ictinike
View Post

Possibly call the provider and supply them with the phone number of the device to get back to the original owner?

I mean, sure it had no contacts but correct me if I'm wrong the SIM has a S/N and has the phone number programmed into it. Why not help the person find their phone?

Finders/keepers isn't a good enough excuse IMHO on this. While your clearly in the right for not doing anything hoping they would call, they could just as easily say your stole it and god forbid it was used in a crime of some sort and now you have it.

I agree. I didn't know the SIM had the actual phone number in it. Where do I find it?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

True, and I think the OP has done more than enough here... 14 day rule, IMO. Both the provider and the owner have moved on. Go OP.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by francesthemutes
View Post

I agree. I didn't know the SIM had the actual phone number in it. Where do I find it?

In every cell phone I've ever owned, granted no blackberry's in my time, there were options or at least a screen that showed the programmed unit's phone number.

I'm no tech like Yabo however the SIM's serial number is entered into the providers database and linked to the number. If you can't find the number directly you could also take the SIM out and read them the card's serial number. Not 100% but I think this would work.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yabo
View Post

True, and I think the OP has done more than enough here... 14 day rule, IMO. Both the provider and the owner have moved on. Go OP.

Ahahaha. Now, I'm a sucker because I like being told what I want to hear but seriously, this poor dude just lost a 600 dollar device. I did wait two weeks for any form of communication but damn... should I really move on and screw this guy over? It's a damn fine piece of technology.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Rogers would have it on file. They keep the serial of every SIM that they assign to a phone number when they program them. (at least, they should)

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can find the phone number by pressing the "send" button, and it might be listed next to "My Number:". If it's not there, then still while in the call screen, press the blackberry button --> Options --> General Options --> change "Show My Number" to 'Yes'.... That's it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

In every cell phone I've ever owned, granted no blackberry's in my time, there were options or at least a screen that showed the programmed unit's phone number.

I'm no tech like Yabo however the SIM's serial number is entered into the providers database and linked to the number. If you can't find the number directly you could also take the SIM out and read them the card's serial number. Not 100% but I think this would work.

Exactly right!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'd say it's been long enough. Two weeks is too long a time to just simply "forget" you lost your phone and not do anything about it. Guarantee you he had some form of protection/replacement agreement and is more than likely enjoying his new one. Your property now, go for it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ahahaha. Now, I'm a sucker because I like being told what I want to hear but seriously, this poor dude just lost a 600 dollar device. I did wait two weeks for any form of communication but damn... should I really move on and screw this guy over? It's a damn fine piece of technology.

Then wait another few weeks... They won't come looking for it. Truth is, if you bring it to them, the provider will claim it, and make money reselling it as refurbed. They'll profit off of the insurance provider, and the Owner already paid his 50 bucks to get a replacement. It's done.

Your choice is this:

1. Keep it and do one of the options I suggested to see if it's blocked/locked.

2. Give it to the provider and let them make money from the insurance provider, AND the person who buys the refurb. It's probably the most honest method, but, it still feels dirty when you know the truth =p

3. Play baseball with it (or maybe hockey, you Canehdians like that game)

I dunno... I'm just saying options.
I'm not suggesting anything

·
Registered
346 Posts
FYI: blackberry bold has a built in GPS which makes each devices unique. If the owner realizes that he can trace the device using the gps just by contacing RIM or the service provider, you might be in a big surprise.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manji
View Post

FYI: blackberry bold has a built in GPS which makes each devices unique. If the owner realizes that he can trace the device using the gps just by contacing RIM or the service provider, you might be in a big surprise.

Phone's been on and registered to a network for 2 weeks now... noone even called it. It's written off. Seriously.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Of course, you can do as you wish with it; I'm only giving you details on how to retrieve the number and SIM S/N

I understand you would like to use it, make a buck or play baseball with it (lol yabo) but I guess it would rot my concience selling it like that even though as stated he probably has another already and some insurance took the loss. Still doesn't make it right in my mind but that's me.

Please don't let my morals burden you mate.. It's something each of us has to worry about and if your fine with it; ce la vi!

• Rep+
Reactions: SpcCdr

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manji
View Post

First thing I checked! GPS was turned off. Believe me, I was all paranoid some executive was going to have some GPS ninjas on me so I immediately checked to see if it was on. It wasn't. I didn't want to turn it on though. Ahaha. I'm being so paranoid.

Well, looks like I'm not takin' it to Rogers if all they'll do is shaft me, the previous owner and collect some form of insurance for it. That's kinda lame. Most of all, in this trying economy, I want to make the buck. I saw them going for like 350+ on eBay and it made me drool a bit.

Ictinike - I know. My morals are questionable but I like to be an honest and giving guy but it just seemed like someone threw me a bit of luck my way.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts