Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Gamer rewards could boost employee engagement.

Clearly defined goals and fair, incremental rewards are two game design techniques that could motivate the 'gamer generation' in the workforce, according to a US academic.

Lee Sheldon of the Indiana University believes managers may have to rethink how they engage the next generation entering the mainstream workforce.
Win!

http://itnews.com.au/News/169862,emp...ate-staff.aspx

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
That would be cool!

Quote:
Boss: Okay everyone, game break!

Quote:
Employees: YEAH!
1 Hour Later....

Quote:
Employee: I just got my ass handed to me by an old geezer!

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Yeah, this is what happens when kids grow up getting a trophy or award for everything they did.

You know I went to my younger cousin's baseball games a few times. THEY DIDN'T KEEP SCORE. What? WHAT? They didn't keep score? Why? Seriously? So there are no losers?

There were no team rankings. No winner trophies. Everybody got a damn participation trophy, no matter how well they played - or even how hard they tried.

I remember playing baseball in grade school, and let me tell you, it was fun. We had competition. Hitting a home run was epic - didn't happen all that often til we got older, but it was excellent.

These kids? Nothing. They were obviously ALL dragged there. Nobody tried. Walking towards the ball, etc. No reason to try - but at least nobody's a loser!

You don't need a damn award for doing what you're supposed to do.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok
View Post

Yeah, this is what happens when kids grow up getting a trophy or award for everything they did.

You know I went to my younger cousin's baseball games a few times. THEY DIDN'T KEEP SCORE. What? WHAT? They didn't keep score? Why? Seriously? So there are no losers?

There were no team rankings. No winner trophies. Everybody got a damn participation trophy, no matter how well they played - or even how hard they tried.

I remember playing baseball in grade school, and let me tell you, it was fun. We had competition. Hitting a home run was epic - didn't happen all that often til we got older, but it was excellent.

These kids? Nothing. They were obviously ALL dragged there. Nobody tried. Walking towards the ball, etc. No reason to try - but at least nobody's a user!

Yeah I know what you mean. When I was in high school they gave out these "end of the year achievement" awards. One of the awards was the "most improved student". If you had all D's on your first report card and at the end of the year end up with all C+'s, you would get this award. What a joke.

As for employers... I thought money was a good motivator.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Nothing better than gaming to motivate your employees. Wonder how gaming companies would feel if employers are interested in buying the latest titles?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by defoLinY
View Post

Yeah I know what you mean. When I was in high school they gave out these "end of the year achievement" awards. One of the awards was the "most improved student". If you had all D's on your first report card and at the end of the year end up with all C+'s, you would get this award. What a joke.

As for employers... I thought money was a good motivator.

i lol'd from D's to C+ means you gave little effort, and still you recieve and award?

i remember going throught Football and swim team, you did'nt get a reward for showing up to practice, you actually had to win, and not just win one but several games, championships even. THEN you got a tropy, and it was concidered an achievement.

next there going to give grades based on gamerscore (gradescore(?)) and trophy numbers

on the flip side though, this seems like a good way to relate to the lazier half of the workers

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can definitely see this working until the rewards stop increasing at your "max level." I always stop having as much fun in RPG's after I've hit the max level.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No reason to try - but at least nobody's a user!

Sounds like everyone became a loser.

Quote:

QFT

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Quote:

View Post

These kids? Nothing. They were obviously ALL dragged there. Nobody tried. Walking towards the ball, etc. No reason to try - but at least nobody's a loser!

This sort of reminds me of what happened to WoW, like how it was hard at first but if you raid hardcore and tier 3 you 1 - shot noobs, nowdays - everyone is equal, and if u can get 10ppl together you can see end game.
It amazes me that people actually still continue playing that game, do you guys really just want to play just to be average?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie
View Post

This is ******ed. Money is a motivator. How bout a raise for harder then the norm work?

Qft but god forbid a company gives raises to the deserving.

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drackula2000
View Post

Qft but god forbid a company gives raises to the deserving.

That's how I see this.

In lieu of monetary raises, they'll give out 'achievement awards' and plaques, certificates of completion, or other random crap.

Imagine mandatory staff meetings lasting another 30 minutes because they have to hand out all the awards for the week.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Reminds me of that episode of the office where all the employees were playing COD4 and the new guy was like

"I chose sniper!"

·
Registered
945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok View Post

I agree. If I was running a company with staff not pulling their weight, the solution would be very simple.
Pick up your stuff, and get out.
You shouldn't need to motivate staff. If they're there, they should be working.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmvvwls View Post
I agree. If I was running a company with staff not pulling their weight, the solution would be very simple.
Pick up your stuff, and get out.
You shouldn't need to motivate staff. If they're there, they should be working.
Did any of you guys even read the article?

It's not really about assigning points...that's just an example.

The guy is saying that an increased effort/reward correlation tends to lead to better work and productivity.

In business terms it makes sense, if your company makes very clear what you expect of employees, and rewards them for it (through increased pay) you will have much better productivity.

It's not about motivating lazy people, it's about consistently rewarding good work and the benefits that entails.

It's basically fixed ratio positive operand conditioning designed to increase productivity, and the most consistent the reinforcement, the more effective the conditioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement
From Wikipedia:
"Ratio schedules produce higher rates of responding than interval schedules, when the rates of reinforcement are otherwise similar."

From Source:

Quote:
"I often talk about the analogy of ten pin bowling," said Express Data CEO Ross Cochrane about managing performance.

"If you had a game of ten pin bowling and you put the pins behind a curtain and told people to bowl so they could hear something happening but didn't really know how many pins they'd knocked down or which ones were still standing, then it doesn't become much of a game and secondly they tend not to get the best outcomes."

"I think you need to make it very clear to people about what the expectations are with regards to performance," he said.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts