Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
guys ive been out of the game for so long my last machine was a intel 980x! its time to build something for me i just built my dad a machine last week so it hasn't been quite 10 years but my knowledge is weak. this is my plan for my own personal machine it will be used for video games for my girlfriend and since my dad is giving me 2 3060 graphic cards I like to Min some coins from enthium.

This is the build that im thinking of let me know what you know.

Processor i5-12600k, Case Corsair 7000D, Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A, Memory DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platium, WD Blue 2tb ssd, Cooling Corsair Icue Pro Xt 360mm, Power Cosrair HX1000, Gpu Dual 3060s

Side note: 2 3060s are from family and HX1000 is also from family

Can I use 2 3060s on this board since it only has 1 5.0 PCI-E 16x slot and a 3.0 PCI-E 16x will I be losing performance minning with a 3.0 PCI-E 16x?

Here a pic of the latest build of my dad's and now its my turn.

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Automotive exterior Gas Office equipment

Update dual 3090s yes they need to be water cooled.

·
High IQ Person
644 Posts
Having 2x GPU for gaming is kinda a dead thing nowdays, but for some strange workloads you could get a perf boost, not gaming

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having 2x GPU for gaming is kinda a dead thing nowdays, but for some strange workloads you could get a perf boost, not gaming
Man! It was the thing back than things have changed big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Rep+
Reactions: Anton338

·
Senior OCN Member
41,260 Posts
The Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II is better and cheaper than most AIO coolers from Corsair and the other big name companies
Its $150 for the H150 RGB Pro XT on Newegg and $130 and $135 for the non RGB and RGB versions of the Liquid Freezer II

And last you can get a Seasonic Focus GX1000 for $176 on Newegg or the EVGA G6 which is rebrand for $160
The EVGA P6 1000 watt is $190 vs the HX1000 which is $240 on Newegg so the HX is overpriced

Even the Seasonic Prime GX1000 is cheaper at $204

·
I can count to potato
1,066 Posts
Yea dual GPU for gaming is dead. You'd be better off selling the two 3060's and getting one better card if gaming is the main focus.

Also if you're just going to run a 360 AIO, it would fit in a 4000D. 7000D really only makes sense if you're going to do a custom loop and fill it with big radiators. Unless you just like the look of a lot of empty space in a big case.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II is better and cheaper than most AIO coolers from Corsair and the other big name companies
Its $150 for the H150 RGB Pro XT on Newegg and $130 and $135 for the non RGB and RGB versions of the Liquid Freezer II

And last you can get a Seasonic Focus GX1000 for $176 on Newegg or the EVGA G6 which is rebrand for $160
The EVGA P6 1000 watt is $190 vs the HX1000 which is $240 on Newegg so the HX is overpriced

Even the Seasonic Prime GX1000 is cheaper at $204
Thanks for the help I’ll switch to the Arctic cooling freezer 2 and save that little bit of cost as for the power supply I forgot to mention the HX1000 is coming from my last build I did for my dad so that’s free.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea dual GPU for gaming is dead. You'd be better off selling the two 3060's and getting one better card if gaming is the main focus.

Also if you're just going to run a 360 AIO, it would fit in a 4000D. 7000D really only makes sense if you're going to do a custom loop and fill it with big radiators. Unless you just like the look of a lot of empty space in a big case.
Good point I was looking at a 5000D case last night and was thinking I’ll do that instead of the 7000D I’m use to big cases because I’ve done so many custom water cooling setups in the past but if these new AIO setups work well and allow you to do some good overclocks I’ll go that route so I don’t have to play with water next to expensive components.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,260 Posts
Good point I was looking at a 5000D case last night and was thinking I’ll do that instead of the 7000D I’m use to big cases because I’ve done so many custom water cooling setups in the past but if these new AIO setups work well and allow you to do some good overclocks I’ll go that route so I don’t have to play with water next to expensive components.

Take a look at the Fractal Design Meshify 2 and Meshify 2 XL if you have not seen those already
I bought a Meshify 2 XL last year because i was soo happy with my Define 7 XL and i have always disliked Fractal Design because how plain their cases looked

I have gotten too old to care about looks rather than something plain that can do what i want
Best thing is the toolless top front and side panels no need to find a screwdriver for a Define 7 or Meshify 2 you dont need one

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take a look at the Fractal Design Meshify 2 and Meshify 2 XL if you have not seen those already
I bought a Meshify 2 XL last year because i was soo happy with my Define 7 XL and i have always disliked Fractal Design because how plain their cases looked

I have gotten too old to care about looks rather than something plain that can do what i want
Best thing is the toolless top front and side panels no need to find a screwdriver for a Define 7 or Meshify 2 you dont need one
Thanks for the suggestion I think I’m still a Corsair Case fan boy I’ve used a lot of different case brands and Corsair always draws me back to them when I look at others. There’s a lot to like about that case!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on parts list sitting in the cart.

Cosair 500D airflow case $175

Asus ROG Strix Z690-A ddr4 motherboard $349

Intel 5 12600k $299

G.Skill Trident RGB ddr4 3200 cas lat 14 $229

Gigabyte m34wq 34” gaming monitor $499

Arctic freezer 2 360 $129

Razer blackwidow v3 mechanical keyboard $139

Logitech g703 light speed wireless gaming mouse $69

WD blue 3d band 2tb SSD $175

·
Senior OCN Member
41,260 Posts
Dont know if you have seen it but the WB Blue NVME SSD lacks a DRAM cache which is why its cheap

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont know if you have seen it but the WB Blue NVME SSD lacks a DRAM cache which is why its cheap
Was not aware! Do you have a suggestion on something

·
Senior OCN Member
41,260 Posts
Was not aware! Do you have a suggestion on something

Depends on how much you want to spend and since i am not an SSD expert what i would grab is the PNY CS3040 2 TB its around $220-240 in the US

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Depends on how much you want to spend and since i am not an SSD expert what i would grab is the PNY CS3040 2 TB its around $220-240 in the US
thanks, I found a 2TB for $230 I would have never caught the Dram cache subject! if you didn't bring it up.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,260 Posts
thanks, I found a 2TB for $230 I would have never caught the Dram cache subject! if you didn't bring it up.

The PNY CS3040 is also PCI-E gen 4 by the way the WD Blue is gen 3
Not that it matters outside of editing and stuff like that

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PNY CS3040 is also PCI-E gen 4 by the way the WD Blue is gen 3
Not that it matters outside of editing and stuff like that

any opinion on the Samsung 970 evo plus I defiantly want something that is fast and reliable and the samsung ssds look to be the best my dad has a 980 Pro in his and that thing screams.

edit I can see the 970 is a gen 3 and not a gen 4 like the pny you recommended.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Senior OCN Member
41,260 Posts
any opinion on the Samsung 970 evo plus I defiantly want something that is fast and reliable and the samsung ssds look to be the best my dad has a 980 Pro in his and that thing screams.

edit I can see the 970 is a gen 3 and not a gen 4 like the pny you recommended.

I feel like Samsung is overpriced because its Samsung

I have an older 970 Evo non plus in my second machine because the shop i was at had that and nothing else in stock and i needed an SSD
Never had a problem with it but i would rather have had a PNY CS3030 or a Corsair MP510 since they are just as good and way cheaper

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel like Samsung is overpriced because its Samsung

I have an older 970 Evo non plus in my second machine because the shop i was at had that and nothing else in stock and i needed an SSD
Never had a problem with it but i would rather have had a PNY CS3030 or a Corsair MP510 since they are just as good and way cheaper
Gonna stick with the pny since it’s a pcie 4 and not pcie 3 like the Samsung

1 - 20 of 76 Posts