Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a sick deal on a practically new 480 and it just came in today!

I've been hurting for a week after selling my 5870 but now it's well worth it.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm so stoked right now. I do hope it's a noticeable performance upgrade from my 5870.

EDIT: I'm gonna need some help oc'ing this thing. I only have experience oc'ing ATI cards which don't have shader clocks.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Yeah, please share your thoughts after a little play-testing. Also your monitor looks crazy in that picture, dunno if it's reflecting a flash or just a strong light source but it looks completely smashed

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryDemon
View Post

Yeah, please share your thoughts after a little play-testing. Also your monitor looks crazy in that picture, dunno if it's reflecting a flash or just a strong light source but it looks completely smashed

I think it's a picture on the screen.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatakai All
View Post

Thanks, I'm so stoked right now. I do hope it's a noticeable performance upgrade from my 5870.

EDIT: I'm gonna need some help oc'ing this thing. I only have experience oc'ing ATI cards which don't have shader clocks.

You don't have to worry about shader clocks.
The shader clock on Fermi cards is always twice that of the core clock.

It isn't like the GTX200 or Geforce 8/9 series where the shader can be clocked independently from the core.

·
Registered
731 Posts
jw:
How much did you get the 480 for?
How much did you sell your 5870 for?

Prepare for a loud and toasty gaming experience!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodycount
View Post

Your gonna love the supersonic sled. I still find myself running it from time to time.

Runs around 20 fps for me. normal?

fun as hell though! I managed to get to the bridge at mach 1 one time!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
OC using MSI afterburner OR evga precision, both have the same internals just different look, they both work great and offer in game stats,
To oc the card
Start off by putting it at 800 core and then raise the voltage until it is stable
Mine is at 850 core with 1.088 volts, 800 core with 1.075 volts folding.
Every card is different you may know, but these things are ocing BEASTS
Mine came factory overclocked and the voltage was 1.100 volts with only 725 core, ive gotten 125 more mhz with -.012 volts!
Of course its not like they didnt want you to oc it if EVGA put the voltage THAT high.
If i left it there i could prob of gotten 860-870 core

You want a pretty aggresive fan profile for your 480 too
Mine never gets above 78 in mafia 2
and 70C while any other not so demanding game, havnt tested it with crysis too much, but did get to about 85C
A 1%fan to 1C ratio is working out pretty good for me so far

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton338
View Post

jw:

That's not true. The card is not loud nor does it get hot. Sorry to break it to you. To the OP congrats!! You have the same exact card that I have. The first thing I would do is download MSI Afterburner and set up a custom fan profile for your card because the stock fan profile sucks. After that, you'll notice that the card stays cool and isn't loud. Your gonna love the card!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvidiagamer
View Post

That's not true. The card is not loud nor does it get hot. Sorry to break it to you. To the OP congrats!! You have the same exact card that I have. The first thing I would do is download MSI Afterburner and set up a custom fan profile for your card because the stock fan profile sucks. After that, you'll notice that the card stays cool and isn't loud. Your gonna love the card!

Ninja'ed

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryDemon
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie
View Post

I think it's a picture on the screen.

What ^^^ he said and I'll be sure post what I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton338
View Post

jw:

I got this card for $375 and sold my 5870 for $325.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onions
View Post

omg where?

Found a sick deal here on OCN in the "For Sale" section. It's basically brand new, had all the plastic and stuff still on it and the warranty wasn't even registered yet. I <3 OCN so much.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvidiagamer View Post
From having used both a 5870 and a GTX480, the 480 does run hotter (even in a lower ambient) than a 5870, but the performance is quite a bit better in most games.

Enjoy the upgrade!

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatakai All View Post
For what it's worth, I sold my Asus 5870 and kept the MSI GTX 480 and I can't tell any difference. Then again, I don't really play any of the newer games. Most the stuff I'm playing is nearly a year old.
Edit for the above poster saying GTX 480 don't get hot: It really depends on the VID. If you get a high one, these are ovens.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
For what it's worth, I sold my Asus 5870 and kept the MSI GTX 480 and I can't tell any difference. Then again, I don't really play any of the newer games. Most the stuff I'm playing is nearly a year old.
Edit for the above poster saying GTX 480 don't get hot: It really depends on the VID. If you get a high one, these are ovens.
I didn't know GPU's have VID's like CPU's do. I guess it makes sense. All the cards I've ever purchased showed the same voltage, but those were all ATI cards. Are they different somehow?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts