Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to update. It has been a long long time since i have read the forums or even checked on hardware so I am very far behind whats "in". I have been playing all the recently released games with no problems maxing them out. However, last night I was playing SWTOR and for the first time ever I had slow down (screams) now I have heard that game engine is terrible but for me slow down is a no no. Now I was playing it fine but for whatever reason last night in space only I would hear my GPU fan spin up and I was getting slow down. So now its time to update.

The question:

I have a 5990 two generations ago dual GPU solution. I have been reading and the 7970 seems nice but its a single GPU. Is it worth replacing the 5990 or should I wait for the dual GPU solution from ATI?

Thats really the only question I have for the ATI forum gonna go ask in the intel forums for a few other questions.

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpel View Post

I need to update. It has been a long long time since i have read the forums or even checked on hardware so I am very far behind whats "in". I have been playing all the recently released games with no problems maxing them out. However, last night I was playing SWTOR and for the first time ever I had slow down (screams) now I have heard that game engine is terrible but for me slow down is a no no. Now I was playing it fine but for whatever reason last night in space only I would hear my GPU fan spin up and I was getting slow down. So now its time to update.
The question:
I have a 5990 two generations ago dual GPU solution. I have been reading and the 7970 seems nice but its a single GPU. Is it worth replacing the 5990 or should I wait for the dual GPU solution from ATI?
Thats really the only question I have for the ATI forum gonna go ask in the intel forums for a few other questions.
You should wait for the 7990 to come out. A 5970 is slightly slower than a 7970 though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:

The question:
Have you checked that the GPU is not clogged with dust? That could be a reason for both fan spin up and slow down, if it's overheating.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernosaint View Post

Quote:

The question:
Have you checked that the GPU is not clogged with dust? That could be a reason for both fan spin up and slow down, if it's overheating.
You sir are wise. I have not in fact checked that. It is a possibility I think last time I blew my case out was three months ago. When I get home will check this good call and honestly I am embarrassed I didn't check this on my own.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:

You sir are wise. I have not in fact checked that. It is a possibility I think last time I blew my case out was three months ago. When I get home will check this good call and honestly I am embarrassed I didn't check this on my own.
Anyway, you might alse want to monitor clocks and temps a bit. Maybe it'd be worth it to change TIM while cleaning the heatsink.

Hope you find yourself not needing a 550$ new card
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I wouldn't. That 5970 still has a few years.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernosaint View Post

Quote:

Anyway, you might alse want to monitor clocks and temps a bit. Maybe it'd be worth it to change TIM while cleaning the heatsink.

Hope you find yourself not needing a 550$ new card
wink.gif
Well I hope I don't either but on the + side if it is dead failing now is the time to do it when I am actually looking at updating anyways. So while I hope not at least it waited till upgrade time to do it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If you do upgrade, can I have your HD 5970? lol
tongue.gif

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire View Post

If you do upgrade, can I have your HD 5970? lol
tongue.gif
That would be a no sir if i do it goes in my kids box which they lovingly call last years specials lol.

Oh and when I got home blew it out spent 20 minutes with my portable blower (love that thing) and guess what fixed lol. Dust bunnies the size of golf balls are probably a bad thing (wasn't that bad but bad). Thanks again for all the help guys this site continues to be a very valuable part of the online community.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Quote:

That would be a no sir if i do it goes in my kids box which they lovingly call last years specials lol.
Oh and when I got home blew it out spent 20 minutes with my portable blower (love that thing) and guess what fixed lol. Dust bunnies the size of golf balls are probably a bad thing (wasn't that bad but bad). Thanks again for all the help guys this site continues to be a very valuable part of the online community.
Lol. My case has two things that prevent it from gathering dust.

1. It is opened very often.

2. I have fans all over blowing dust out. I've never seen dust in my computer.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire View Post

Lol. My case has two things that prevent it from gathering dust.
1. It is opened very often.
2. I have fans all over blowing dust out. I've never seen dust in my computer.
Mine just sits there I use the HAF something or other (sad I know I used could tell you every part in and on my comp) and I never touch it anymore. I think in my old age I have gone from being a let me maximize my system to "Hey I just want it to work." lol. That being said I have been doing some reading relearning how to OC ect. So I might get back into being the I need to tweak it kind of guy. Will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts