Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. if you buy an album, for example, can you delete it and then redownload it as many times as you want, like with Steam, or are there download limits?

2. what happens to your stuff if for example, you are forced to reformat?

3. is the quality of the downloaded movies good?

4. what formats do the music and movies use? more specifically, can i take them out of iTunes and then play them with VLC/WMP/player of my choice?

thanks

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
1. Not usually, sometimes you can call and have them re-queue it if you've just pruchased it and had problems.

2. Backup your iTunes folder often!! (Or just your whole User Folder anyways..)

3. It's Apple's Lossless codec, it comes in different bitrates like mp3 does iirc.

4. No, they contain DRM which makes it a hassle to try and play in anything but iTunes and sometimes WMP never gotten video out of a video in vlc only audio.

My Advice:

Go to the Used CD Section of your fav music store and buy those. Cheaper and you have a Hardcopy already made, letting you re-rip it at CD quality

• Rep+
Reactions: -iceblade^

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
1. if you buy an album, for example, can you delete it and then redownload it as many times as you want, like with Steam, or are there download limits?

You will need to contact apple everytime you want to. I wouldn't suggest it as if the artist changes the album in anyway like genera or something small then you will NOT be able to redownload the album

2. what happens to your stuff if for example, you are forced to reformat?
reformat = no files

3. is the quality of the downloaded movies good?
Yeah I think they are

4. what formats do the music and movies use? more specifically, can i take them out of iTunes and then play them with VLC/WMP/player of my choice? depends. with the new itunes plus they raised the prices of some of the downloads and took away the problems of playing the songs on other devices (If I remember correctly). Movies / shows I am not positive about.

thanks
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ech.

so you only get to DL once, and then after that, GG.

what the hell is the point then?

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
Apple makes money, you get to download the stuff rather than get up and go to a store. Also exclusive content, sometimes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can basically only download it once if you buy it from them. Welcome to the wonderful world of apple. DRM will only allow you to play purchased movies on apple products such as iPhone/iPod, computer with iTunes authorized to your account, and apple TV. Remember, you only get 5 authorizations. That includes iPhone, Ipods, Apple TV's, and other computers. If you download a movie and are expecting to stream it to your TV through your Tivo, xbox, or PS3, no such luck.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at the cost of being forced to play by Apple's rules, and being SOL if something happens to me?

no thanks.

do you know any other music stores that offer redownloading without hassles? specifically for house/dance music?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
ech.

so you only get to DL once, and then after that, GG.

No what I'm saying is you lose your whole set you need to contact apple. Apple will tell you to backup blah blah blah

and then let you redownload as much as you can. I use to listen to this band name armor for sleep... because they changed their album info I had to repurchase their albums.. Basically I wouldn't trust you will be able to redownload all your music if you need to do a reformat.. I would back it up.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
I never d/l it I just stream it. If you haven't already heard about DI.FM go check it out.

Other than them no one in the music download business usually lets you re-download stuff. Now I have used http://amiestreet.com/ once (choclate rain remix album... i know i know) and they let me re-download stuff.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
rhapsody, amazon I don't know much about them but they are the only other paid options I know of. Also internet radio might work for what you need..

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post
You can basically only download it once if you buy it from them. Welcome to the wonderful world of apple. DRM will only allow you to play purchased movies on apple products such as iPhone/iPod, computer with iTunes authorized to your account, and apple TV. Remember, you only get 5 authorizations. That includes iPhone, Ipods, Apple TV's, and other computers. If you download a movie and are expecting to stream it to your TV through your Tivo, xbox, or PS3, no such luck.
Might wanna check the latest itunes stuff... The newer version of "itunes" mostly includeds itunes plus music which is DRM free

1 - 11 of 11 Posts