Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of using 8 46.5 watts peltier (4 IN SERIES) to connect to the radiator of a liquid cool system . Can u use high end cpu heatsink ( 1 on each peltier ) or plate of metal with 2 120mm fans to keep the 46.5w peltier from overheating .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Those are some very large fans you intend to use....

Could you draw a quick picture of what you intend to do? Which peltiers do you mean specifically?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Firstly why not get the 136.8W peltiers for a very similar price? The ones you have pointed out are very low power.

What are you trying to cool? An AMD CPU of some sort?

So you want to mount the peltiers on the radiator where the fans would normally go? You use a metal plate between the peltiers and radiator fins? The idea is that you cool the hot side of the peltiers with normal heatsinks and the water in the radiator is cooled?

If you are attempting what I just described then there is no way it will work I'm afraid. If this is not what you had in mind, please try to explain further.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That if I insulate the whole radiator and got 8 168w peltiers . Cpu running at 45 c trying to git it between 20c to 30c .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
That if I insulate the whole radiator and got 8 168w peltiers . Cpu running at 45 c trying to git it between 20c to 30c .
It isnt primarily an issue of the power of the peltiers. The problem is that thermal interface between the radiator and peltiers is going to be terrible.

Now my mind is going through options like sealing the radiator and filling the fin cavities with water. I dont think, however, you will find anything like this that works well enough.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you found some really cheap waterblocks and then some decent heatsinks and fans you could create a mini waterchiller but you wouldn't be able to run each TEC at full power maybe 30-50%.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also thinking of 400w peltier with a fish pond pump ( 250 gph) . Radiator with 3 120mm fans on it . Does someone know if they made a 50mm waterblock for a cpu . Peltier is for the cpu . Hey flak-spammer please post those links for the waterblocks .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974
View Post

I also thinking of 400w peltier with a fish pond pump ( 250 gph) . Radiator with 3 120mm fans on it . Does someone know if they made a 50mm waterblock for a cpu . Peltier is for the cpu . Hey flak-spammer please post those links for the waterblocks .

To start a large number of cpu blocks are 50mm.

What's your fascination with using the radiator ...for goodness sake.

You can't mount the pelts directly on the radiator like you seem to be thinking....Scarlet has already told you that...

The setup you need is waterblocks for the coldside of the pelts then either more waterblocks for the hotside and the radiator to cool them OR as you are powering the pelts at low voltage IN THIS CASE you can use CPU fan/heatsink combo's on the hotsides, heck of a noise though.
You will need to run them at low voltage, like flak said, because the wiring setup for 8 x 136w is difficult/expensive to power unless of course you have a 110v supply then you could run them direct from the wall....but it could be risky.
Having said that of course the problem is not all waterblocks can stand the 150-300 psi pressure on the pelt needed for efficient thermal transfer.... the mounts bend too easy.

To get your CPU in the 20-25ºC range you will need to get the coolant several degrees cooler so don't put a rad in this loop as it will attempt to warm the coolant to ambient which is above your target.
It depends on a hell of a lot of factors but it is quite feasible you CPU will go even lower.

Obviously at these lower temps it's wise to insulate your system.

From the point of view of efficiency you would be better off running many pelts at low power than one big one at greater power. It would be up to you but the setup is pretty much the same.

If you use a 400w one it will probably be 62mm square (unless of course it is an ebay one then it could well be 50mm but it wont be 400w either.) and you will need to use copper plates between the waterblock and pelt because the pelt must be completely covered and most cpu blocks are 50mm square max.

If you only want to cool the CPU you are often better doing direct die but if it's your 955 that's about the max CPU I would consider. If your not an overclocker it would be fairly easy but if you plan upgrades etc a chiller might be a better option as it's easier to move from one system to another.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I was talking about mounting the peltier on the cpu . On the radiator I was thinking of a MINI FRIDGE effect . By cooling the air . Cooling the air will gave you cooler water temp to the cpu . Remember I was thinking of insulating the whole thing expect where the peltier is with cooling fan on the peltier . Used 8 peltier at 50% power was to efficient of cooling the air .

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this won't work. Yet, I would wait until someone who knows a lot about this subject posts in the thread.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hey I was talking about mounting the peltier on the cpu . On the radiator I was thinking of a MINI FRIDGE effect . By cooling the air . Cooling the air will gave you cooler water temp to the cpu . Remember I was thinking of insulating the whole thing expect where the peltier is with cooling fan on the peltier . Used 8 peltier at 50% power was to efficient of cooling the air .

I see but it's very difficult to put pelts directly on the rad...well almost impossible. You cant mount them properly.

right...so are you putting it on your 955 ? are you an overclocker ? and where you planning on buying the pelt...give me a link if poss....

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
U can get them on ebay or http://www.frozencpu.com
Hey zipdogso , I was going to have plates made to mount those peltiers on . Putting plates on both sides and insulating it . Remember putting peltier on one side of the radiator like MINI FRIDGE .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:

View Post

U can get them on ebay or http://www.frozencpu.com

Yes I am well aware of where you can get TEC's I wanted to know the exact ones you plan to use

Quote:

View Post

Hey zipdogso , I was going to have plates made to mount those peltiers on . Putting plates on both sides and insulating it .
Remember putting peltier on one side of the radiator like MINI FRIDGE .

I know all about your mini fridge plan but how do you propose to fit the TEC's to the rad ? Even if you mount them on plates if you attach that to the fins there will be very little heat transference, Insulating will help but not much.
You would be better to get a large copper/aluminium heatsink and channel the air through the fins lengthwise that's how it works on commercial TEC air coolers.

So do you still plan to use 8 and have you considered the wiring ? This will affect the feasability of your plan.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey I think I have it. Not a radiator but a slim reservoir about 1" h X 2 1/2" W X 16 1/2" L that need to made . 8 46.5w peltier at 50% power .

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey zipdogso , wiring is piece of cake to electronics person like me . Ebay peltier rated at 12v 1 400w and 1 168w peltier to mess with to see that they can do .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hey zipdogso , wiring is piece of cake to electronics person like me .

Fair enough...most people dont appreciate the differences of parallel and series wiring and multiple TEC's can run up ridiculous amperages if you choose the wrong layout.

Quote:

View Post

Ebay peltier rated at 12v 1 400w and 1 168w peltier to mess with to see that they can do

Bear in mind the ebay TEC are often no where near the rating the sellers give them. And just for the record they aren't 12v they are 15.6v but most people run them at 12v.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Keep in mind that those numbers are Pmax (P = I*V) instead of Qmax (maximum energy moved from cold to hot). So the numbers of energy that can be moved will actually be much smaller.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts