Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I became lazy changing out my water. I got a EK L240 kit that's old 2013 or 14..
what air cooler is pretty good for competing against this water cooling kit?

my specs are in the signature location, I am delidded too with a 3770k.

·
Space Cadet
455 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Space Cadet
455 Posts
How do you know this? that cooler is represented as a 165w tdp and the 3770k is a 77w tdp base clock. in the description it says it is good for 10700k which is 125w. according to the math it will work just fine.

But Listen I am not interested in debating whether you like it or not, and yes I looked at your sig.

Polar

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know this? that cooler is represented as a 165w tdp and the 3770k is a 77w tdp base clock. in the description it says it is good for 10700k which is 125w. according to the math it will work just fine.

But Listen I am not interested in debating whether you like it or not, and yes I looked at your sig.

Polar
intel =bad. if not y i had to delid? does the hs need lapping?

·
Space Cadet
455 Posts
I have used a few of these, they are no Mucho grande or Noctua D15 but they are built decently and they have a good base. I would not lap the base on one of these but if you get an exposed heat pipe based cooler I would definitely lap it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used a few of these, they are no Mucho grande or Noctua D15 but they are built decently and they have a good base. I would not lap the base on one of these but if you get an exposed heat pipe based cooler I would definitely lap it.
right on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
my specs are in the signature that air cooler will not hold 4.4 GHz.
Forget TDP claims on coolers. Manufacturers dont follow a certain standard, so numbers are not comparable, they sometimes fall short and sometimes they go way over the bosrd, and there's "20.000" other factors to keep in mind, especially on air cooling where they have a more pronounced effect, than on liquid cooling.

I'm not familiar with the skew, and I'm not familiar with the cooler you were using, so I'm not gonna try to give numbers, but the best you can do with air cooling it's a cooler with 6-7 heatpipes (or 5 if they're 8mm), and past 7-800g weight mark......and you need to "work it" with the case.... That should give you performance somewhere in between best 240 and best 280, depending on how good the case airflow is, the contact, the CPU you're using and how hard you're running it.

In your situation you should definitely run very close or past 280mm AIOs, because it's a old chip with a "large" manufacturing process (ofc with the ideal case and case config).

Thermalright macho rev.b/C, LGMRT, TS140p, nh d15, tc14pe, r1, assasin III. All those are within 2-3°C, between the best and the worst.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just know that at 80f ambient room temp @[email protected] utilization i reach 75c-82c. on l240 ek kit.

·
Fix it till its broke
706 Posts
3770K is an insanely hot cpu once you ramp them up. At least my stock one is. Bigger is better. For instance, my 212 evo can barely handle my loaded 3770K at 4300. My Thermalright coolers can handle my loaded 3770K up to its redline of 4700. Can keep going after that, just not fully loaded. I should delid mine to, but I couldn’t be bothered at this point.

·
Premium Member
26,952 Posts
so I became lazy changing out my water. I got a EK L240 kit that's old 2013 or 14..
what air cooler is pretty good for competing against this water cooling kit?

my specs are in the signature location, I am delidded too with a 3770k.
I would not consider that little Intel branded cooler as anything but a joke. It's only 94x94x132mm with only 3x 6mm heatpipes.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Black has 170mm CPU clearance spec so plenty of room for even biggest coolers. How are your case fans setup for case airflow? You might find link below to basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Your G. Skill Ripjaws are 40mm tall, so limits fan size over RAM to 120mm or 140mm behind RAM.

Your Z75 Pro 3 has 55mm center CPU to near side of RAM and about 86mm center CPU to hear side fo x16 PCIe (66mm to near side of x4 socket). That is more than needed toward PCIe for even widest CPU cooler but don't think 140mm fan will fit over RAM and clear case side. Quick calculation says 135m clearance.

Is your EK L 240 going bad? I ask because with a good cleaning and refill with coolant it might be good to go.

What cooler depends on how much you want to spend.

One of the very best is Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power costing $51.99 on amazon.com. It's spec is 171mm tall but generally CPU clearance is a few mm more than spec, so with your case's 170mm spec it should fit no problems. Front of it's 140mm fan is 54mm from center of CPU so also fits.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-Power/dp/B00IYEEOMO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=true+spirit+140+power&qid=1596797811&sr=8-2

Another good cooler is Macho Rev. B (any 140mm fanned HR-02 / Macho), Cryorig R1 Universal, Fuma 2, but they are all more expensive, most not cooling as well as TRUE Spirit 140 Power will, assuming your case has good airflow so cooler is receiving air only a few degrees warmer than room.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not consider that little Intel branded cooler as anything but a joke. It's only 94x94x132mm with only 3x 6mm heatpipes.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Black has 170mm CPU clearance spec so plenty of room for even biggest coolers. How are your case fans setup for case airflow? You might find link below to basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Your G. Skill Ripjaws are 40mm tall, so limits fan size over RAM to 120mm or 140mm behind RAM.

Your Z75 Pro 3 has 55mm center CPU to near side of RAM and about 86mm center CPU to hear side fo x16 PCIe (66mm to near side of x4 socket). That is more than needed toward PCIe for even widest CPU cooler but don't think 140mm fan will fit over RAM and clear case side. Quick calculation says 135m clearance.

Is your EK L 240 going bad? I ask because with a good cleaning and refill with coolant it might be good to go.

What cooler depends on how much you want to spend.

One of the very best is Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power costing $51.99 on amazon.com. It's spec is 171mm tall but generally CPU clearance is a few mm more than spec, so with your case's 170mm spec it should fit no problems. Front of it's 140mm fan is 54mm from center of CPU so also fits.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-Power/dp/B00IYEEOMO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=true+spirit+140+power&qid=1596797811&sr=8-2

Another good cooler is Macho Rev. B (any 140mm fanned HR-02 / Macho), Cryorig R1 Universal, Fuma 2, but they are all more expensive, most not cooling as well as TRUE Spirit 140 Power will, assuming your case has good airflow so cooler is receiving air only a few degrees warmer than room.
I've got two fans on the bottom which are 120 mm two fans in the front which are 140 mm. two fans connected to my radiator which is drawn air into the case from the top then I got a 140 mm on the back and I have the psu which has a fan to. it's all positive air flow. no my l240 kit is all good it's at 7 pH.

it's not that hard to change I'm just being real lazy and I hate changing it because you got flush it twice or three times then refill it it's just a pain in the ass.

·
Still kinda lost
3,343 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've done air cooling before extreme. this is from 2010 or 09. thanks for the measurements. attachment below

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts