Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i am on my dad's lappy after all while trying to install my new mobo!

the problem is: my psu has a 20-pin connector but there is a 24-pin slot for power on the mobo!! what can i do now? omg why can't anything work out smoothly for me!

the connector will fit but it is 4 pins short!

do i need a new psu? is there something to make it 24-pin?

i'm just freaking out! help plz

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You need a converter, however just sticking it in might work too. Ive heard people just stick it in, leaving the 2 pins, but i got myself a connector. you can get one for like5 bucks. You can try just sticking it in but i give u no guarantee that u wont fry ur psu/mobo or not have to go and buy a connector anyway. If it does work, your system may get unstable voltage!

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in the mobo manual it says if i'm using 24 pin to take off the cover

*** is that? should i just leave it? because in the manual it says the extra 4 pins are for ground and 12v, but there are already 2 farther up

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
you don't need to buy anything just stick it in. there should be a few pins left over just ignore it. I had the same problem. But it works 100%

·
Registered
579 Posts
The extra pins are for the PCI-E slot so if your using it for your GFX card then your gonna need a converter for your psu or even better a new 24 pin psu. If your GFX card is not very power hungry it might even work with out the extra 4 pins but dont expect for it to overclock well.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well i got a 24 pin adapter for 20 friggin$ but i needed it so w/e, i am done building and i am going to install windows and see how everything works

wish me luck guys, if i have problems i will come back lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts