Overclock.net banner

Ivy Bridge Delid first time success

  • First time success

    Votes: 134 76.1%
  • First time fail - Nicked Die

    Votes: 9 5.1%
  • First time fail - Nicked PCB

    Votes: 17 9.7%
  • First time fail - Nicked Die and PCB

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Failed other

    Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Multiple Fails

    Votes: 9 5.1%
41 - 60 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB0y View Post

Yes the delid definitely fixed this. I'm using Thermalright Chill Factor 3, pretty good stuff.
I actually have some of that sitting here! About half a tube, I'll be using MX-2 as I can get a hold of that fairly cheap and locally though. I'll save the CF III for a better (non tempoary) case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

should be enough in 1 seringe , to do at least 3 chips with..
even when doing all sides, thats how little i used
Nice, I plan to get one of each. The Ultra for the core and the Pro for on top of the IHS as it's easier to clean. That and shipping is the same on 2 tubes as opposed to 1. May even get 2 of each if shipping is the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

Antarctica? really?
must be great ambient temps over there ..lol
scared?
looks like you dont need to delid,(or did you?)
i couldnt even run prime or ibt at 4.5ghz, without hitting 105C within seconds..
4-6C is normal difference between hottest/coolest cores..
Wow, that's crazy! It's still good to de-lid as slightly less voltage is nice and less heat on the CPU itself is better to prolong the life of the chip. I can do 4.6GHz on "stock" for 24/7 but it's pushing towards the 85c+ area and needs a fair bit of voltage. I prefer 4.4 as a 24//7 clock right now but temporarily have it at 4 as I had a few problems with black ops 2, turns out it was my graphics card wanting more voltage on the memory..
I know 4-6c is normal, but when it's 10c+ it's not "Normal". The guy with 67c max you could push to the low 80's and be safe. That is what I plan to do, my goal really is 4.7GHz+ for 24/7 which is in the 1.42v area which is do-able with my cooler if it's working right.

Also, wouldn't it make sense if the better your cooler the bigger temperature difference you get? Because it is technically getting more performance per piece of metal/heatpipe and that would multiply if your CPU cooler was a dual tower as opposed to something like a Hyper 212+. That's how I can explain it anyway, in my head I make sense
wink.gif


I'm hoping for a 15-20c+ drop in temps, it'd be nice to see 30c or so as my chip is rather bad. I may have to get a new rear fan too as after this I'll need to turn my fans up sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

Antarctica? really?
must be great ambient temps over there ..lol
Haha!
biggrin.gif
Actually I'm from the U.S. but it's actually quite cold around my area right now (Around 7c). Great ambient temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

I actually have some of that sitting here! About half a tube, I'll be using MX-2 as I can get a hold of that fairly cheap and locally though. I'll save the CF III for a better (non tempoary) case.
CF3 is my go-to paste. I use it on everything, but definitely use whichever you can get for cheap because they're all about the same
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB0y View Post

Haha!
biggrin.gif
Actually I'm from the U.S. but it's actually quite cold around my area right now (Around 7c). Great ambient temps.
it was a cold night last nite,
this is my ambient today, at idle..

9C lowest, but i didnt open my frontdoor to let the cold in ..lol

this was a few weeks ago, about -2 -3C outside,
but i opened my frontdoor to let cold in ..lol

my comp is in the hallway, no heater there so..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

it was a cold night last nite,
this is my ambient today, at idle..

9C lowest, but i didnt open my frontdoor to let the cold in ..lol
this was a few weeks ago, about -2 -3C outside,
but i opened my frontdoor to let cold in ..lol

my comp is in the hallway, no heater there so..
Haha nice! What clocks did you get her up to?
tongue.gif


It's good to see that more then 3/4 of people that decide to de-lid get a working processor!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

scared?
looks like you dont need to delid,(or did you?)
i couldnt even run prime or ibt at 4.5ghz, without hitting 105C within seconds..
4-6C is normal difference between hottest/coolest cores..
Seriously? That's nuts, I've been tossing the idea around but I don't want to shell out for another cpu in case I botch the process due to impatience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoRaz View Post

Seriously? That's nuts, I've been tossing the idea around but I don't want to shell out for another cpu in case I botch the process due to impatience.
yea, serious
smile.gif
you should have seen my face when i started prime first time ever
eek.gif

im one of the fastest around here, when it comes to, from 20 to 105C in 2-3 seconds..
o, and impatience kills most chips..lol

but when i look at your post here,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoRaz View Post

@4.6GHz, I sit at 67 degrees while folding with only like 4-6 degrees variance across my cores.
i still wonder why you think would about delid,
you have a great cooler, 4.6ghz and folding at 67C,
bet it can do 4.7-4.8ghz without delid, with nice temps folding, if vcore lets you..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoRaz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

scared?
looks like you dont need to delid,(or did you?)
i couldnt even run prime or ibt at 4.5ghz, without hitting 105C within seconds..
4-6C is normal difference between hottest/coolest cores..
Seriously? That's nuts, I've been tossing the idea around but I don't want to shell out for another cpu in case I botch the process due to impatience.
Honestly you probably already have good contact between the die and IHS, and your ambients being so low too, I would say just keep it how it is. I wouldn't mess around, because if the first part is true, you might not even get good returns.
 

·
Engineer of Malcontent
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

Success, first try..
thumb.gif

took me about 20 minutes to delid it..
my estimate is, 1-3 on every 100 will fail,
impatience/to fast is what i see most of the time as reason
i used this
So far its 6 fails out of 22 attempts. Not as good "odds" as some claim the process is.

Mine failed and not due to impatience I went at it for awhile, still failed. While others have success. It comes down to skill plus luck. IMHO.
 

·
Engineer of Malcontent
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
looks like not a good success rate so far.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerrick View Post

I cracked the die when i tried to put the block on directly. Anyone wanna buy a cracked 3770k?
Wow.. That's why people shouldn't direct mount.
redface.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
im really glad delidding is back in style. i havent delidded a CPU since i was rockin a Opteron 165

the easiest way to do it is take the middle of a razar and cut out the corners first by pressing at 45 degree angle. once all corners are cut, use about 1/4 of an inch of the corner of the razor to cut down the sides of the CPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

Success, first try..
thumb.gif

took me about 20 minutes to delid it..
my estimate is, 1-3 on every 100 will fail,
impatience/to fast is what i see most of the time as reason
i used this
So far its 6 fails out of 22 attempts. Not as good "odds" as some claim the process is.
Mine failed and not due to impatience I went at it for awhile, still failed. While others have success. It comes down to skill plus luck. IMHO.
odds can still change till we have 100 delidded ones ..lol
biggrin.gif


and yes, im amazed how many fail while trying to delid their chips,
its way to many, thats why im trying to find a good/safe way to delid,
guess not everyone is handy with a box cutter or razor blade..

if you ask any of the delidders, "how easy is it to delid?",
almost everyone will tell you," its easy to do", because the actual delid is easy,
thats different then the chance/odds of them hitting the pcb, or worse, the die ..

i bet some of the story's go like this,
someone buy's a new 35 or 3770k, they heard/know its easy to oc,
then they try and see the high temps, google..stumble over answers like,
ivy runs hot, only/best thing you can do is delid...they google delid 3770k,
of course they come to this site, its on #1 or in the top 5 on google search,
they see the delid crew talk about , "its easy to do".."only thing you can do if you really want to oc ivy"

next thing you know, they sit at home with whatever knife/cutter/razor blade they could find,
and start cutting away, ...result ..another dead chip ..
THEN they come back, and start asking the most important questions,
"HOW do i delid? "

i see the same thing happen with OC's, peeps just buy a nice setup,
start hitting some buttons/settings, they fail the oc, THEN they come here and start asking,
"how do i OC?"
without, or almost nothing, first reading up about ocing, or in this case, delidding
smile.gif

they only see us doing great/good oc's, talk about how easy it is to oc ivy/sandy etc...

last weekend ive let my 15 year old kid delid 3 pentium's,
he didnt scratch the pcb, or hit the die..on any of them,

of course i guided him through the process, and yea, its different doing it on a $1 chip,
or a $300 chip..point is, he did them all without problems..
one of the things he kept saying was, "i cant imagine how anyone can scrw this up" ..
you call it skills, or luck, hes got little/no experience at all handling a box cutter,
him being lucky 3x idk..

one of the things i would say after that weekend is,
if you have the chance to practice on some old pentium, pls do..
if you do 1 or 2 of those, the learning experience would be great,
better then watching any vid, or reading all posts about delidding..
smile.gif

which you should do anyways, in preparation of the real delid..lol
 

·
Engineer of Malcontent
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

odds can still change till we have 100 delidded ones ..lol
biggrin.gif

and yes, im amazed how many fail while trying to delid their chips,
its way to many, thats why im trying to find a good/safe way to delid,
guess not everyone is handy with a box cutter or razor blade..
if you ask any of the delidders, "how easy is it to delid?",
almost everyone will tell you," its easy to do", because the actual delid is easy,
thats different then the chance/odds of them hitting the pcb, or worse, the die ..
i bet some of the story's go like this,
someone buy's a new 35 or 3770k, they heard/know its easy to oc,
then they try and see the high temps, google..stumble over answers like,
ivy runs hot, only/best thing you can do is delid...they google delid 3770k,
of course they come to this site, its on #1 or in the top 5 on google search,
they see the delid crew talk about , "its easy to do".."only thing you can do if you really want to oc ivy"
next thing you know, they sit at home with whatever knife/cutter/razor blade they could find,
and start cutting away, ...result ..another dead chip ..
THEN they come back, and start asking the most important questions,
"HOW do i delid? "
i see the same thing happen with OC's, peeps just buy a nice setup,
start hitting some buttons/settings, they fail the oc, THEN they come here and start asking,
"how do i OC?"
without, or almost nothing, first reading up about ocing, or in this case, delidding
smile.gif

they only see us doing great/good oc's, talk about how easy it is to oc ivy/sandy etc...
last weekend ive let my 15 year old kid delid 3 pentium's,
he didnt scratch the pcb, or hit the die..on any of them,

of course i guided him through the process, and yea, its different doing it on a $1 chip,
or a $300 chip..point is, he did them all without problems..
one of the things he kept saying was, "i cant imagine how anyone can scrw this up" ..
you call it skills, or luck, hes got little/no experience at all handling a box cutter,
him being lucky 3x idk..
one of the things i would say after that weekend is,
if you have the chance to practice on some old pentium, pls do..
if you do 1 or 2 of those, the learning experience would be great,
better then watching any vid, or reading all posts about delidding..
smile.gif

which you should do anyways, in preparation of the real delid..lol
You know Im willing to bet the main problem is ot us that failed just being dumb or impatient as you or others seem to insinuate. If you ask someone who successfully delided, of course they will say it was easy, they where successful. However I digress. I think the problem is that once pressure of a big HSF is put on for to long it will make the gap between the IHS and the PCB even smaller, making it hard to get a blade in between there.

I would be willing to bet if you take a poll of those of us that failed, you will find some that did not use proper tools/patience but most of us that had the CPU under a massive HSF for weeks before hand making it more difficult. It would be interesting to see what all of us who have failed have in common, as to help those in the future who try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

You know Im willing to bet the main problem is ot us that failed just being dumb or impatient as you or others seem to insinuate. If you ask someone who successfully delided, of course they will say it was easy, they where successful. However I digress. I think the problem is that once pressure of a big HSF is put on for to long it will make the gap between the IHS and the PCB even smaller, making it hard to get a blade in between there.
I would be willing to bet if you take a poll of those of us that failed, you will find some that did not use proper tools/patience but most of us that had the CPU under a massive HSF for weeks before hand making it more difficult. It would be interesting to see what all of us who have failed have in common, as to help those in the future who try.
my mugen in push/pull, isnt a real light cooler,
it was under there for a few months..
the pentiums we practiced on, prolly where under pressure for years,

yea, im trying to gather as much info/tips possible for future delidders,
man, i even spend time,effort,cpu's and money to find better/safer ways to delid..
impatience is one of the reasons ive heard more then once,
also, not taking breaks...thats why i used it in my post
smile.gif



someone took the effort to measure the gap between ihs and pcb,
at max pressure, without delid, the ihs would rest on the die, but there would still be a gap of about 0.14mm,
the thinnest razor blade used, is about 0.009 mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takman79 View Post

how exactly is this done, and what is the point of it?
i delidded, because i thought i bought a great cpu, thats is a very good overclocker,
but when i started ocing it, i couldnt go higher then 4.4-4.5ghz,
i hit max temps, 105C, within seconds of running prime..

ivy can run much higher oc's , when temps arent the limitation,
some run 5.0-5.1 ghz 24/7 after delid..i cant, im limited by voltage,
but 4.8-4.9ghz is my max oc for 24/7 with mine now..after delid ..lol
biggrin.gif
 

·
Gamer
Joined
·
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

You know Im willing to bet the main problem is ot us that failed just being dumb or impatient as you or others seem to insinuate. If you ask someone who successfully delided, of course they will say it was easy, they where successful. However I digress. I think the problem is that once pressure of a big HSF is put on for to long it will make the gap between the IHS and the PCB even smaller, making it hard to get a blade in between there.
I would be willing to bet if you take a poll of those of us that failed, you will find some that did not use proper tools/patience but most of us that had the CPU under a massive HSF for weeks before hand making it more difficult. It would be interesting to see what all of us who have failed have in common, as to help those in the future who try.
My 3770k was under a water block bolted very tight for months. And when I delidded mine it wasn't easy. It took 45 minutes because it was hard to get the razor between the PCB and IHS but using the delid guide and reading all I could on delidding helped a lot. I think taking your time and using the thinnest razor you can find is key IMO.
 
41 - 60 of 218 Posts
Top