Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my 62mm TEC block recently. Last night I tested it on my friend's (chaopinzhiwang) 3770K and it handles the temperature beautifully. No compromise on Ivy bridge!!

See results below:
(The stock paste under IHS was replaced with MX-4 in all tests)

5.1 GHz, 1.46V prime95 blend (new version supporting AVX), check the temperatures:

5.3 GHz, 1.46V super pi:

5.1 GHz cinebench:

I absolutely love the temperature scaling of Ivy Bridge. The power consumption is considerably lower than Sandy so that's why a single 62mm TEC can deal with all the heat with ease! It holds the 3770K IHS at zero degree running prime95!

A picture of the TEC block:

Temperature test on Sandy Bridge quad core (3930K with 4 core enabled, HT on), using AIDA stress test:

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

5.1 GHz cinebench:
I absolutely love the overclock-ability of Ivy Bridge. The power consumption is lower than Sandy so that's why a 62mm TEC can deal with all the heat with ease! It holds the 3770K IHS at zero degree running prime95!
Eh... but aren't you using up a whole lot more power just to do this when you can just cool a 2600k to get similar performance on just water? My old 2600k at 5.3 score 10.24 on water. If one were willing to throw a tec block at a 2600k I'm sure you could drop the voltage by good clip.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Eh... but aren't you using up a whole lot more power just to do this when you can just cool a 2600k to get similar performance on just water? My old 2600k at 5.3 score 10.24 on water. If one were willing to throw a tec block at a 2600k I'm sure you could drop the voltage by good clip.
Yeah, power is the only drawback.
I have also tested it on Sandy. At 5GHz the IHS temperature is about 10C higher because of higher power consumption. The cores are cooler though. Overall Sandy bridge has lower core temps which makes them more suitable for water. Yours doing 5.3 on water is AWESOME, but I think few chips can do that. The point of using TEC on Ivy is because of Ivy's great temperature scaling and low power consumption, while sandy reaches the ceiling more quickly .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDa5 View Post

Never used this type of block. Great results. Congrats!
cool.gif
Thanks, bro!
smile.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HothBase View Post

How much power does a TEC like that draw? I'm curious.
It depends. I have a controller to regulate the voltage of the TEC. When CPU is idle it uses about 80W to keep it at zeros degree. When running prime at 5.1GHz, it uses 500W to keep it at zero. The power is huge, but it's only for the extreme test.

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
On my 3770K, using a TEC cooling system is pretty necessary. If I increase the cpu core voltage beyond 1.220v in order to get 4.7GHz or higher, the core temp goes up like crazy which is out of the capacity of my H80 to handle it. I am sure this is the same situation for most the of 3rd generation Intel cpu users.
smile.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why dont you change the TIM?, ive seen people with at 4.9ghz with an h100 at 70degrees in prime with LpQ and IX

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post

Looks cool after looking at that that got me thinking maybe trying to find a ac tec so you dont need another internal psu to power it they make them for Aquariums.
http://www.marinedepot.com/chillers_coolworks_iceprobe-ap.html
http://www.marinedepot.com/chillers_coolworks_microchiller-ap.html
Thanks for the link. It would be great if I can use AC. But it seems for the link you provide, the input is AC and then converted to DC voltage to drive the TEC
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssss69 View Post

Why dont you change the TIM?, ive seen people with at 4.9ghz with an h100 at 70degrees in prime with LpQ and IX
Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk
I have replaced the intel TIM with MX-4. The contact may not be perfect. You can see core #1 is 17C higher than core #0 in prime95.
The temperature you mentioned is awesome on water, but I guess it's on lower voltages, thus requires a good chip (I don't know the ambient for that test either). This specific 3770K I use can do 4.7GHz on water after TIM replacement, and the temps easily exceeds 90C. The TEC block drops core temp more than 40C, and allows me to bench at 5.1GHz, 1.46V. Definitely a huge improvement over water
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

Thanks for the link. It would be great if I can use AC. But it seems for the link you provide, the input is AC and then converted to DC voltage to drive the TEC
smile.gif

I have replaced the intel TIM with MX-4. The contact may not be perfect. You can see core #1 is 17C higher than core #0 in prime95.
The temperature you mentioned is awesome on water, but I guess it's on lower voltages, thus requires a good chip (I don't know the ambient for that test either). This specific 3770K I use can do 4.7GHz on water after TIM replacement, and the temps easily exceeds 90C. The TEC block drops core temp more than 40C, and allows me to bench at 5.1GHz, 1.46V. Definitely a huge improvement over water
smile.gif
Yea i wonder if you could rip that apart and make it so you can use it but still have the ac power to make it easy to power it up less bulk to move around if you need to move your pc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That awesome. I used to do water cooling, but it was too much a pain to upgrade parts and the water would always go black. Could you tell us how the TEC works and to build one. I'd like to try it!

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carndriver View Post

That awesome. I used to do water cooling, but it was too much a pain to upgrade parts and the water would always go black. Could you tell us how the TEC works and to build one. I'd like to try it!
Thats wierd you musta done somthing wrong my water has been clear for 2 years everytime i drained it and now days most blocks support every sockets unless its a gpu block of chipset block.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by carndriver View Post

Unfortunately TEC block also needs water cooling. TEC is just a way to get lower temperatures.
Check this thread. There are many awesome project with TECs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post

Thats wierd you musta done somthing wrong my water has been clear for 2 years everytime i drained it and now days most blocks support every sockets unless its a gpu block of chipset block.
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

If you replaced the TIM..Why not just leave the IHS off?
headscratch.gif

put the TIM on the chip..then your TEC ..Hey did you build that? how much to send one to me?
biggrin.gif

<<<<< See that chip to the left? No IHS there..pure silicon :
yessir.gif
:
I thought about direct silicon mounting. But the hold down bracket is actually higher than the surface of silicon. It is possible to remove the hold down bracket, but I don't want to do it because it sometimes causes bad contact between pins and CPU.
Yes I built the block. But now I am too busy to make more of these. But I will definitely continue in the near future. PM me if you are interested.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Got any pics of the system built with the water cooling on the tec? I was going to build one like that before, but ended up using my chiller instead of continuing with it.

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts