Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are going to be any new motherboards released for Ivybridge E as I cant seem to find any info which hints at a release?

·
Registered
787 Posts
There will probably be a few refreshes but for the most part Ivy-E will just use existing X79 boards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feared as much due to the lack of leaked info on new boards. As much as I would like Ivybridge- E I am not keen on pairing it with a two year old board.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Its a real shame. The lack of good motherboards is mostly why I didnt jump to that platform. Sooo much potential.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
What lack of good motherboards? ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASROCK, Intel all have outstanding X79 boards available. What was it you were looking for that you didn't see?

I wouldn't trade my P9X79 WS or P9X79 Deluxe systems for anything else right now.

IB-E isn't even that big of an upgrade over SB-E. If you want a "substantial" boost over SB-E, you're going to have to wait for Haswell-E in late 2014-2015 -- and that's going to be a new socket, probably with DDR4 support.

Greg

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
This board just released, it is an unknown as far as performance, but eVGA is claiming they threw out the old mind set that was a complete failure on the x79 platform and built this from the ground up.
May be worth the time to do some research and see if this board is a contender as on paper it looks as if it could be a great board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNI3sQemu50&feature=player_embedded

There are many things about this board I like, I am looking at it close for an IB-E upgrade to my current rig.
we should start to see some reviews and end user results soon enough

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=150-SE-E789-KR

Hopefully they got it right this time as eVGA has had some monumental boards over the years
If this performs on par with the looks it should be a pleasant surprise for enthusiast level builds this fall

good luck

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

What lack of good motherboards? ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASROCK, Intel all have outstanding X79 boards available. What was it you were looking for that you didn't see?

I wouldn't trade my P9X79 WS or P9X79 Deluxe systems for anything else right now.

IB-E isn't even that big of an upgrade over SB-E. If you want a "substantial" boost over SB-E, you're going to have to wait for Haswell-E in late 2014-2015 -- and that's going to be a new socket, probably with DDR4 support.

Greg
The asus RIVE was great, but I dont like red or the overall asthetics of it
Gigabyte had the best board of all, the UD7, but its not made anymore
I own an asrock board now, and will never own another one again
MSI boards are cheesy

I need support for 4 way SLI and I think x79 chipset should support pcie 3.0 natively.
I want something like an updated UD7 but in green/black instead of orange, and with a little beefier power delivery

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main thing lacking in current x79 boards for me is no native USB 3.0 ports and I want more than two native Sata 6 ports. I was hoping ivybridge e would have a least the same amount of native ports that its older brother (1155 socket) has.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
ivy-e will use X79 chipset too so same restrictions on those chipset boards, and that chipset isn't changing very soon.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
you are correct, x79 will be the IB-E platform...

This board is a new release, it is not about any gimick. it is about how this board can deal with memory clock and timings and how it overclocks for potencial IB-E builds this fall, the big question is how it will stack up against the RIVE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Chicken View Post

(X79)

we already have that, and "Intel" hasn't announced any changes
smile.gif

we already have that too... the IB-E processor makes all x79's which are not Xeon, PCIe 3.0
Sorry Butter Chicken you have lost me there mate?

The article says that there will be 12 sata6 ports but doesnt say how many are native, but if you look at the picture 6 ports are block and 6 ports are dark grey. Even though its still X79 it sounds promising that there might be some new features brought to the table with these new boards and Ivy-E chips. At least this is what I am hoping is going to happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My x58 is faulty so waiting for haswell-e is not an option and even if a bit if pcie bandwidth is lost 2011 socket has more than enough for my needs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts