Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

My name is Jesse. I have a passion for extreme overclocking. I have spent months in benching time. I decided to gather my experiences into a beginners guide to help others get into overclocking. This guide is for Kaby lake and Coffee lake CPUs. Here we go!

Disclaimer** Motherboard manufactures may have named some of the terms I am talking about with a different name for that same term. It wise for one to know what their motherboard's manufactures has named certain settings.

Ex:
ARock uses the term "Offset" and ASUS uses the term "Adaptive." The have named the same setting with a different name. Manufactures do this for many settings. I really wish they would stop doing this. It makes OCing a lot harder than it should be.

When one is overclocking, one should know why they're overclocking in the first place.

1. To see the absolute limits of the hardware you have with the said cooling environment you have chosen.

2. To tailor a specific OC profile to achieve chosen percentage increase in performance for a certain games or applications.

KEEP AN EYE ON LOAD TEMPS AT ALL TIMES!!!

There is a different process for both of them. Both methods also yield entirely different numbers (scores vs FPS performance); however, they definitely share some similarities.

For this topic, I'm just going to go with method number 2, which is targeted for gamers. As method number 1 is mainly for enthusiast benchers or XOCers. If enough people would like to know more about method 1, they all should let me know. I will then make a new topic about XOCing. It has taken me years of study and almost a year of hands on practice to be able to explain XOCing in a more digestible form. As it is can get complicated quickly and is more for people that see "challenges" as "fun" and not a burden.

I'm also not going to get into OCing RAM for this as it is not really necessary for most beginners. But a thread there is. It has some very good info. I feel like its one of the gems of the internet really. It's pages and pages of just awesome. Here is the link:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...-intel-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.html

With games it is fairly easy. Set everything to stock work one thing at at time. It's best to start with the CPU. And for the sake of this guide. I am going to start with the CPU.

When one is OCing a CPU, one can use either a fixed voltage or an offset (adaptive) voltage. Offset (adaptive) is a broad topic as well. So lets stick with fixed voltage to make things simple.

"Freeing the Power" To Do List

Disable:
-Intel Speed Step
-Intel Shift (some boards have this, but not all do)
-All Spread Spectrums
-All C States

Max Out:
-Short and Long Term Power Duration
-CPU Current Limitation

Things to leave on auto:
-LLC
-AVX Offest
-FLCK Frequency​
-BLCK ratio

Things to Enable:
-All Core
-Intel Turbo Boost​

Now that one has done all of that, one should pick a safe fixed voltage for one's cooling envirnoment. This is general info I'm going to post here. I'm basically drawing a line that I feel comfortable with everyone using on a said cooling method. Meaning one shouldn't see temps over 70C with a delid. In my own personal opinion, no one should be overclocking if they haven't delidded their CPU. To each their own though.

To know more about the relationship between specific Intel die models and voltage, That will require some one do more research. Either online or their own hands on research.

It's worth it trust me.

KEEP AN EYE ON LOAD TEMPS AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

"Safe" Frequency and Voltage Guidlines for Specific Cooling Methods."

-For Air:
1.200-1.300V
Don't go past 5GHz on i7s or i5s (if one is that lucky with the silicone lottery)
(1.3V on air is iffy and I wouldn't do that unless one has a really, really good air cooler and if one finds hospital abmient temps enjoyable, 60F or 15.6C)

-For AIOs:
1.200V-1.325V​
5.1GHz maximum for i7s and i5s (blah lucky blah blah silicone lottery)
(1.325 is iffy blah blah poor hospital ambient temp joke)

-For Custom Water Loops:
1.200V-1.370V
5.3GHz maximum on i7s and i5s
(1.37V is not iffy at all on a "good" water loop. "Bad" or "Decent" water loops shouldn't exsist. Blah blah blah lottery)

Ok that we have that out that of the way. Start at 1.250v and 4.5GHz. If the CPU can't run the chosen game at 4.5GHz with 1.250V stable, then you need to increase the voltage in increments of 25mv until it can. If the CPU doesn't fall in the guidelines I drew previously, I wouldn't continue to overclock and stick with the best you have gotten so far.

4.5GHz is a good baseline to see what the chip can do at lower voltages.

I would also game for at least 2 hours to test your OC on that game. Do some stuff and see somethings in order to find a possible crash point. No crash point in 2 hours, the CPU is good to go further.

If you can game at 4.5GHz with 1.250V increase the frequency by 50Mhz until you find a crash point.

Blah blah 2 hour rule.

Increase voltage by 25mv while keeping the same frequency it crashed on before. See if it stabilized. If it didn't, add another 25mv.

The drill is now known and one should stop when one hits a frequency or voltage limit listed from the guidelines above.

I wouldn't go past my guidelines, unless you feel comfortable with your own research/experiences to do so.

Now one has a tailored OC profile ready to be saved.

The next journey we will go on is to tailor a GPU OC for their GPU to the same chosen game.

Yep, CPU OCing is just first step to achieving the most performance in one's chosen game.

The OCing hole goes pretty deep.

If someone out there has enjoyed this guide and would like me to make one for GPUs, please let me know. I would rather help others than to just ramble on the web. Lulz

Have questions? Ask away!!!!

And don't forget.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts