Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi OCN,

Question for you. I have an onboard RAID array set up on my P5K3 through the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. My RAID works fine but I need to have the J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller disabled or the Matrix Storage Manager will not detect any drives.

I just built an eSATA external drive and would like to use it, but this controller needs to be enabled to do so.

Is this possible, or is it one or the other? I heard the onboard RAID uses the JMicron controller and therefore is unavailable for the use of anything else - including eSATA.

Many thanks in advance, for any help at all.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The intel Raid is built into the chipset and the J-Micron is a seperate chip attached through the PCI bus. You can have the J-Micron setup to the AHCI if all your going to use it for Esata. The drives that are plugged into the Intel and the ones plugged into the J-Micron are independent of each other.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help ounderfla69,

Unfortunately I have tried all three settings on the JMicron controller (IDE, RAID, AHCI) and none have worked. The Intel Matrix Storage Manager will show the same thing in each case - no drives attached. The PC will then fail to boot, stuck on a screen displaying a flashing score in the upper left corner.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I think I read something about it being a BIOS memory issue - there isn't enough to run the Intel in RAID when the JMicron is enabled.

I may be completely wrong, but I'm sure I read that somewhere..
..a

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow....

Do you know if this is a problem with all motherboards or only a few?

That is a serious design flaw...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I think I read something about it being a BIOS memory issue - there isn't enough to run the Intel in RAID when the JMicron is enabled.

I may be completely wrong, but I'm sure I read that somewhere..
..a
I've read the same thing....you can't use both RAIDs at the same time but it should work in the other modes.

Many boards including mine, use those JMicron chipsets for IDE and eSATA and they work fine.

Clear CMOS and try again?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Multiple RAID cards from different manufacturers has *always* been an issue. In the old days, if you were lucky, you could resolve the issue by manually playing around with the IRQ assignments to get it working semi-properly.

That's might be issue here, though I can't honestly answer because I haven't played around with the latest iterations of ICHxR and the JMicron controller combination. I also tend to add in Silicon Image PCI or PCIe eSATA controller cards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts