Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and greetings from Greece.Today I am reviewing the PK-2 and PK-3 thermal compounds from Prolimatech.Before we start here's some information about Prolimatech
Quote:
Prolimatech,founded in 2008 is headquartered in Taiwan, led by a team of dedicated experts with 22 years of accumulated experience in the field of computer thermal solutions.

Prolimatech stands for Professionalism exceeding beyond all Limits. We are here to challenge any limits that stand in our way to achieve what was thought to be impossible.

Prolimatech incorporates integration of the aerospace resource-saving technology and advanced heat conduction technology to create the best heat absorption and dissipation solutions while pertaining to the science of aesthetics.

Our never-ending quest is to satisfy every computer overclocker's and every enthusiast's needs for high quality and performance oriented thermal solutions for their high-end computer components.
Next lets take a look at the features and specifications of PK-2 and PK-3 respectively

Prolimatech PK-2
Features
Easy Application
Easy Application
Low Dry-Out
Non-Corrosive
Electrically Non-Conductive
Wide range of application temperature
Material Specifications
Al 70~88 (wt%)
ZnO 15~27 (wt%)
Oil 11~19 (wt%)
antioxidant 0.5~2 (wt%)

Specific Gravity 2.5g/cm³
Adhesiveness 250000 Cps
Thermal Conductivity 10.2 W/m-°C
Thermal Impedance 0.015°C-in²/W

Prolimatech PK-3
Features
High Thermal Conductivity
Low Thermal Resistance
Long-Term Stability
Non-Corrosive
No "burn-in" time required
Material Specifications
Al 70~88 (wt%)
ZnO 18~34 (wt%)
Oil 8~12 (wt%)
Antioxidant 0.5~2 (wt%)

Specific Gravity 2.7g/cm³
Adhesiveness 330000 Cps
Thermal Conductivity 11.2 W/m-°C
Thermal Impedance 0.013°C-in²/W

Accessories
One syringe of thermal compound and one easy-spread card(1.5g)
One Syrunge of thermal compound amd one easy-to-spread spoon(5g,30g)

Testing Setup
Processor: Core i7 2700K @ 4.5 GHz
CPU Cooling: XSPC Raystorm with XSPC EX240
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB
PSU: Corsair HX850
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Case: Coolermaster 690 II advanced

Comparison Thermal Compounds
Prolimatech PK-2
Prolimatech PK-3
Arctic Cooling MX-2

Stock Settings

Arctic Cooling MX-2

Prolimatech PK-2

Prolimatech PK-3

Overclocked Settings

Arctic Cooling MX-2

Prolimatech PK-2

Prolimatech PK-3

After some calculations (ambient wasn't stable) here are the charts:

Conclusion
The new thermal compunds from prolimatech offer great performance and are easy to apply.They both come in different size to suite everyone's needs.

Hope you liked this review

EXTRA VIDEO

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Nice review, thanks
thumb.gif

Shame you havent used any MX-4, thats the stuff i always use.
Its super cheap and cools like the best.

Least now i can use PK-2 and PK-3 to without worry's
smile.gif

1 side note though:
75 degrees @ 4,5ghz with watercooling is a bit high dont you think ?
You only ran Prime95 for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

Nice review, thanks
thumb.gif

Shame you havent used any MX-4, thats the stuff i always use.
Its super cheap and cools like the best.
Least now i can use PK-2 and PK-3 to without worry's
smile.gif

1 side note though:
75 degrees @ 4,5ghz with watercooling is a bit high dont you think ?
You only ran Prime95 for 20 minutes.
Thanks
smile.gif

Well ambient reached 34 somerimes.Also the vcore could be lower...

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnko1 View Post

Thanks
smile.gif

Well ambient reached 34 somerimes.Also the vcore could be lower...
Wow 34 degrees !

Temperature must be about right then lol.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of the contact patch. It used to be a must in skinnee's, and I suspect that explains why you're getting those temps. Pk-2 should be much better than mx-2, let alone mx-3.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

I'd like to see a picture of the contact patch. It used to be a must in skinnee's, and I suspect that explains why you're getting those temps. Pk-2 should be much better than mx-2, let alone mx-3.
Not sure what you mean,but I used a small amount of tim in the center of the cpu.Seems the best method

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

I dont think things ever get "much" better...... its just TIM you know, not like if you change TIM to the best one out there you going to see your temps drop by 10 degrees or so.
Yes sometime's Liquid Pro, Shin Etsu and so beats the crap out of cheap TIM's, but compared to the best other TIM's it isnt a huge improvement either. [and Liquid is anoying to work with]

All the known good TIM's perform really close to eachother.

If he applied the same method of TIM spreading on each test there might not be a huge difference, yes i know... you only know for sure if you check the contact pressure and eveything else aswell.

Fact is, tests like this are very time consuming and i'm happy the OP dit it anyways, even though its not a 100% perfect its good enough
wink.gif

Its give's us the info that these PK-2 and PK-3 TIM's are up there with the other good TIM's

Getting involved in stuff like contact pressure, How TIM is spread, and so on allready should tell you how close all TIM's perform to eachother.
We have to use lots of rules [like contact pressure and all that] just to show 1 TIM performs half a degree better then the other, basicly saying YES they do all perform very similar to eachother............ Well the good ones do.

This review is good enough to show that Prolimatech PK-2 and PK-3 are good TIM's.

So again OP, thanks for the effort
smile.gif

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am editing a video I made how all thermal compouns spread.PK-2 was the best.

Sorry for not stressing the cpu enough time,next time I will try to.Consider that this was my first tim test so I wasn't really prepared
smile.gif

PS. note that there's a marginal error,around ~0.25-0.5 C.My digital thermometer died so I had to use an analog one.Not a big deal,but I wanted to be clear.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

I dont think things ever get "much" better...... its just TIM you know, not like if you change TIM to the best one out there you going to see your temps drop by 10 degrees or so.
Yes sometime's Liquid Pro, Shin Etsu and so beats the crap out of cheap TIM's, but compared to the best other TIM's it isnt a huge improvement either. [and Liquid is anoying to work with]
All the known good TIM's perform really close to eachother.
If he applied the same method of TIM spreading on each test there might not be a huge difference, yes i know... you only know for sure if you check the contact pressure and eveything else aswell.
Fact is, tests like this are very time consuming and i'm happy the OP dit it anyways, even though its not a 100% perfect its good enough
wink.gif

Its give's us the info that these PK-2 and PK-3 TIM's are up there with the other good TIM's
Getting involved in stuff like contact pressure, How TIM is spread, and so on allready should tell you how close all TIM's perform to eachother.
We have to use lots of rules [like contact pressure and all that] just to show 1 TIM performs half a degree better then the other, basicly saying YES they do all perform very similar to eachother............ Well the good ones do.
This review is good enough to show that Prolimatech PK-2 and PK-3 are good TIM's.
So again OP, thanks for the effort
smile.gif
I got a 3ºC improvement when switching from AS5 to GC-Extreme, and 5 from AS Ceramique. In Skinnee Labs, IIRC, PK-1 performed better than MX-2 (link), that's why I'm a bit surprised to see no difference here.

I'm not complaining, in fact I'm really happy to see someone trying out this TIM and taking time to test it and share the experience with us
smile.gif

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnko1 View Post

I am editing a video I made how all thermal compouns spread.PK-2 was the best.
Sorry for not stressing the cpu enough time,next time I will try to.Consider that this was my first tim test so I wasn't really prepared
smile.gif

PS. note that there's a marginal error,around ~0.25-0.5 C.My digital thermometer died so I had to use an analog one.Not a big deal,but I wanted to be clear.
I would assume pk-2 would spread easy considering how/what it was made to do and be.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
I thought PK-3 was the best?

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Any comparisons against PK-1?
Edit: I went to Prolimatech's website and saw the PK-3 description. I'm not sure what to say...
Not sure who came up with that analogy.
+1 on this.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I think he/she meant HS, heatsink.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thermal paste performs differently depending on how good the mount is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.