Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jolly's CM-690 Case -Acentos de Cobre

Another Case Mod by Jolly-Swagman

Well its been 3 years now since I got this CM-890 Case, and with its current hardware configuration has served me well,
But alas its time to move Forward and Update both the Case and some of the Hardware,

Current Rig Specs

Mobo = GA-P35-DS3L
CPU = Q6600 GO @ 3.2GHZ
GPU = EVGA GTX-295
RAM DDR2 = 4 Gig XMS2 6400 4-4-4-12
Optical = Liteon DVD-RW Lightscribe
Multi CardReader
HDD,s + 2 x 250GB Sata + 320GB sata

The Plan

First I will be transferring all the current hardware to Jolly's Tech bench 2010 so all can be still used as functioning PC, while work is being done to CM-690

Then the CM-690 will get a new lease of life Transformation, to include New Paint Work,
Both inside and out, Modded for better Cable management see below in current state.

The Inside will be Modded for better Cable management adding /enlarging Mobo Tray cable slots for rear cable entry, and the the inside will get re-painted in Matt Back with Satin Clear coat for protection, after of course the prep work and re-undercoating,

The main panel frames Outside Case, still not sure whether staying with the Black or maybe the Gun Metal like I did on the P4 Case Makeover (Undecided make even be different Colour all together ?)

The Hardware Change list

Motherboard = Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
CPU = E8500 EO 3.16GHZ
DDR3 Ram = ??????? (still need to get)
CPU HSF = Scythe Ninja

will also be still using current
GPU = EVGA GTX-295
DVD-RW Drive = Liteon Lightscribe
3.5 Multi CardReader

Scythe Ninja HSF

Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 Mobo

This will Start within the next week or so and will need to get the DDR3 Ram before Hardware goes into Revamped CM-690 Case!

Update #2 18 March 2010

Started on the CM-690, first Removed Hardware -HDD's GPU - Motherboard - PSU from Rig,
Then also added A cooling gantry to Jolly's Tech Bench2010 to help aide in cooling GPU ect.

The CM-690

Inside CM690

The Rear Cable Management

Installed new cooling gantry and Hardware into JTB 2010

Vendetta 2 HSF View

Back up Running and Folding again on Jolly's desk

Now I am in the Process of stripping down the rest of CM-690, fans front bezel switches ect, getting ready to do some more Cable management modding and prep for Primmer Undercoat

Update #3 - Fri 19 March 2010

Today finished off cutting Cable Management holes/slots widened on some existing also cut more from top 2x 120/140 Fan grill area, and removed Rear exhaust fan grill.

Cut-outs

Also prepped for Primer coat

Primer Coat done

Update #4 Sat 20 March

Today I did a little more work on a few things to the Revamp of the CM-690 Case, not a lot as have had bit of a headache all Day!

First up I removed the top I/O ports and the Top perforated Grill, Dam thing nearly took forever getting it off too!

Then cut away the Top Bezel Plastic Honeycomb Grill area, as this causes fan buffering and that in turn leads to noise, will now be also better for air flow too!

Top Bezel

Them I also did the same with the Front Bezel, this one came out allot easier than the Top did.

Front Bezel

Also cut away the mesh grill on the front intake fan holder, too!

Fan Holder

Then got down to doing some alterations to the Side Window Panel, with the Addition of another small Window to the Bottom right where the HDD's are.
The after a sanding down, did the first Primer Undercoat,
Dam Spray Can was playing up too, think is nearly empty as started coming out thin and made some runs, but this is easily fixed once dry, just sand back and Re-Undercoat

Window Side Panel

The other Side Panel has also been Sanded back ready to Undercoat, when I get some more on Monday

That all for this Update Stay Tuned for more soon!

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Looks good so far.

·
PC Evangelist
46,962 Posts
This should give my friend some ideas. Nice work so far keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

This should give my friend some ideas. Nice work so far keep us updated.

Thanks , and be sured I will !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedark1337
View Post

Awesome

Thank You !

Quote:

Originally Posted by spRICE
View Post

Why are you replacing a quad core with a dual core?

I,m not Replacing the Quad with a C2D , the system you see now is from the CM-690 case and will remain a Quad Core system (still part of my folding Farm) , will have either 9800GT 1gb sonic or one of my 8800GT,s

The New E8500 EO and X48 Mobo with the GTX-295 take up residence in the Revamped CM-690 Case as my Main / Gaming Rig and also part of the Farm, and prob also have another 9800/8800GT in there too!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman
View Post

Thanks , and be sured I will !

Thank You !

I,m not Replacing the Quad with a C2D , the system you see now is from the CM-690 case and will remain a Quad Core system (still part of my folding Farm) , will have either 9800GT 1gb sonic or one of my 8800GT,s

The New E8500 EO and X48 Mobo with the GTX-295 take up residence in the Revamped CM-690 Case as my Main / Gaming Rig and also part of the Farm, and prob also have another 9800/8800GT in there too!

Oh ok i was just confused because i thought the quad would compliment the 295 well but oh well doesn't matter.

And I can already tell this will be great

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92
View Post

Good job mate! Want more pics

Thanks Oliver , sure thing see next post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastiaan_NL
View Post

hey, thats looking pretty cool already

keep it up and subbed for sure

Thanks Bastiaan_NL

Quote:

Originally Posted by spRICE
View Post

Oh ok i was just confused because i thought the quad would compliment the 295 well but oh well doesn't matter.

And I can already tell this will be great

NP

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update #5 Sun 21 March

Today just re-sanded Side Panels with P1000 wet-n-dry paper, and applied second coat of Primer, all nice and smooth now!

Side Panel's 2nd Primer Coat

Have also be toying with some ideas as to what I,m going to do with the Front and top Bezels covers/ grill areas.
Below is one sample I have in mind - Black base coat - with 2 light (@ 30cm distance) passover with Copper Metallic Paint

Colour Sample-1

Its only an idea so let me know what you think,, still not sure myself

Actually looks better in person especially at different angles, if you know what I mean!

Stay Tuned for more to come soon!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderm0nkey
View Post

Subbed

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnko1
View Post

great work man

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killhouse
View Post

Subbed man, looking good!

Thanks Guys & Girls

Will hopefully be doing some more Painting Today!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

looking good JS - I am glad I stopped in to check on this, you reminded me to cut some cable management holes in the crash electric chasis

+

Thanks CR, yeah we cant do without the Cable Management Slots/Holes the're a Must have

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update #6 Mon 22 March 2020

Today went an picked up some more DULUX etch Primer and some Black Gloss and more Flat Black Spray cans,, (Dam they were out of the Clear Coat till Thursday maybe)

First after another quick rub down with P1000 wet-n-dry paper , Put the final coat of Primer to both Side Panels

Window Panel

Other Side Panel

Then while they were drying did the First Coat of Matt Black to CM-690 Case Frame

Rear Side View

Front Side View

Internals View

Then while waiting for Case to Dry, had an idea to make a Rear Case slot Fan to aide in cooling for GTX-295 exhaust

First cut up some Side panel Sheet metal still have laying around, and made a little holder box for the 80mm Fan,
Cut one side from 80mm fan to turn it into a Slot Cooler Side Blowing Fan

Now proceeded to bend and form into a box shape
Then with some Fan grill Mesh that was cut from the CM-690 Case made a fan grill for the Slot cooler,
with some 3mm Plexi had left over from previous Mods made the other Side of the Slot cooler.

Now for some testing of the output of Slot Cooler

Testing

As you can see from the blue piece of paper billowing it works fine.

Plexi Side Cover Slot Cooler

The Finished Slot Cooling Fan

Now all that is needed is to give it a Coat of Paint ( undercoat then Black)

Thats all I have for Today, Stay Tuned for more soon!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts