Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
source

Quote:
In the many forums I frequent, I sometimes see people wishing they could afford one of Antec's high end Signature units and yet not quite willing to go for one of the Truepower Trio models. Well, Antec's decided to freshen up the Truepower line once more, and they've just released the brand new Truepower New series. These are 80 Plus certified units that promise to bring the Truepower name closer in quality to the Signatures while still keeping the price affordable.

Let's find out if they were successful.

Quote:
Summary

Antec continues their evolution of the Truepower name with a unit that surpasses all previous Truepower incarnations easily. Coming in with performance reminiscent of models significantly more expensive and 80 Plus Bronze levels of efficiency, there's not much to hate about the Truepower New 750W. I think Antec could do with making more of the hardwired cables modular, but other than that, there's no reason you shouldn't buy one of these as soon as they hit the shelves. Signature too expensive? Too many people around you own a Corsair and you want to be different? Truepower Trio just a bit too lackluster for you? You too can have a True New.
Hmm, if this comes close to say the Corsair tx850 in price ($115-130) after it's been out a little while, it looks like I've finally found a good 750W modular that is affordable. Now Corsair needs to release it's 750-850W modular unit. Chop chop!

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
The 650-750w psu's are IMO the most difficult to choose.

The amount of pci-e connectors I needed normally come on > 800w units, which would be overkill.
Being a mid tower case, modular is a must, I think there were 8 units that fit my criteria of being modular with 2x6 pin, 2x8 pin and < $125.

I so would have looked long and hard at this unit.

EDIT> It's not fully modular.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
antec true power ftw!!!!!!!!

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
EDIT> It's not fully modular.
That's about the only con with this unit. Less than half of the connectors are modular, that's kind of pointless. It comes with an 8-pin EPS and a 4-pin ATX, both hardwired. Why didn't they make a 4+4 hardwired and then make the second EPS 8-pin modular? Much less than 1% of users need two CPU connectors, come on Antec.

And yeah, this was just released. It should drop in price soon enough.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
That's about the only con with this unit. Less than half of the connectors are modular, that's kind of pointless. It comes with an 8-pin EPS and a 4-pin ATX, both hardwired. Why didn't they make a 4+4 hardwired and then make the second EPS 8-pin modular? Much less than 1% of users need two CPU connectors, come on Antec.

And yeah, this was just released. It should drop in price soon enough.
That and the 2x6 pins should have been hardwired not the 2x8 pins.

I mean there are no 2x8 pin gfx cards.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That is a pretty sweet power supply.. My Truepower Quattro only has an 80mm fan at the rear, the 120mm would be much better I'm sure. I bet this PSU runs nice and cool.

PS, paid $111 after promo code for my TPQ-850w at Newegg, so I'd recommend holding off until there's a 20% off deal for this one.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the Signature 650W is only slightly better than the New but about the cheapest you find that is for ~$170 shipped. The Enermax Infiniti 720 is $180. The DA750 can be had for $150 shipped but only with a MIR. The rest of the crowd isn't perfect either. The Xigmatek likely has quality and performance issues due to cost cutting. The Tt Toughpower only has 3 PCIe. The Zalman 750 only has 2 PCIe. The Strider 750 can't match the performance of the rest and is a little weak on the 12V rail.

I hope the New settles down to a reasonable price. If not the modular 750W market will still be slim pickings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
That and the 2x6 pins should have been hardwired not the 2x8 pins.

I mean there are no 2x8 pin gfx cards.
I'm pretty sure the hard-wired 8-pins are 6+2.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

I don't think it deserves such a high value score though

Hard to score something that's not on the market yet

In this case, all I could think about was how it was performing like a Seasonic M12D... in comparison, the MSRP is a steal. I'm sure it won't stay at $160 for long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts