1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
link

Quote:
Summary

With the Revolution 85+ series, Enermax comes in like a lion and goes out like a lion. Not only is the 1050W model possibly the most efficient unit of its size on the market to date, nearly everything else about it is drool worthy from the connector counts to the voltage stability to the ripple suppression to the six cool velcro cable ties they give you. There are a couple of minor nitpick worthy things going on in this unit like the so-so quality soldering, but if I were the competition, I'd be real worried right about now.
Honestly I would have liked to see a tad better voltage regulation. It doesn't really stand out from the crowd on that basis.

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho666 View Post
wow that looks awesome

now all i need is a reason to upgrade from my 700w TT

that should be enough of a reason, lol its thermal take

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whe3ls View Post
lol.

I will check this unit out next time I go PSU shopping

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Come on now, be nice. Your X3 600W isn't exactly a good unit, I would much rather have the 700W Tt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auld View Post
$291... Ouch.
It's an Enermax, you expected it to be affordable?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Quote:

well it`s actually a pretty good psu

better than i expected, runs nice and cool, and i don`t hear it at all

and it powers my HD4870X2 without problems

think i can only upgrade from this if i would get a second X2 or a TEC or something

·
Registered
502 Posts
WOW that is efficient. 1036W @ 84.6% and Vrip = ~<30mV.

What is standard? Less than 120mV, or is it 60mV?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shini2k

Honestly I would have liked to see a tad better voltage regulation. It doesn't really stand out from the crowd on that basis.

I kind of agree, but I don't imagine the voltage regulation on any component would ever notice the difference. I wonder what the point at which it becomes a real problem at?

Which psu are you comparing it to, in regards to 12.0V being more constant?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k
View Post

It's an Enermax, you expected it to be affordable?

Just look for the deals, I got my Enermax Modu82 525 for 85 after rebates. started off at 165.

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whe3ls
View Post

? Thermaltake make good PSUs. Cases, NO, PSUs, yes.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Agreed on the TT700W PSU. Mine runs the overclocked quad, overclocked HD4870, 4 populated overclocked DIMMS, sound card, floppy, 2 IDE optical drives, and 6 SATA HDDs- along with a good assortment of fans and LEDs.

But Enermax FTW. I had a 435W Enermax whisper that got transplanted from PII to PIII to PIV to the C2Q (until I got a new video card)- always overclocked with multiple HDDs and add-on periphals.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EntropyTTU View Post
WOW that is efficient. 1036W @ 84.6% and Vrip = ~<30mV.

What is standard? Less than 120mV, or is it 60mV?

I kind of agree, but I don't imagine the voltage regulation on any component would ever notice the difference. I wonder what the point at which it becomes a real problem at?

Which psu are you comparing it to, in regards to 12.0V being more constant?
120mV p-p is max allowable on the 12V. It's 50mV on the 3.3v and 5V rails. The lower the better obviously, and 30mV is about as good as we see especially in units of this capacity.

Regulation is still good overall with the 12V being around 2%. The 3.3V is a little worse at ~3% and the 5V comes in at ~5%. For comparison, that is about what we see in the Corsair hx1000 except the 3.3V is worse than the 5V on the Corsair at ~4% and 2% respectively. As long as voltages stay within +/- 5% of nominal, the computer will run fine. But the tighter the regulation is (the drop in voltage between low and high loads), the better the unit is. In the real world, there is little difference between say 11.6V and 12.4V since components are designed to run between 11.4 and 12.6V. Regulation is just a measure of quality. The Enermax does well, it just doesn't stand out from the pack in that aspect.

In terms of efficiency and ripple, the Enermax is one of best. The Corsair hits ~70mV p-p at full load of ripple. That is still very respectable, but it doesn't compare to the Enermax. The Enermax is also more efficient than nearly all units of this capacity (if not all ATM), although I don't give much weight to that. Even a difference of 5% efficiency at a load of 400W will only save you a couple dollars on average per month if you run it 24/7.

A big problem with OW's reviews, is that his Sunmoon doesn't have enough capacity to test PSUs with more than 70A on the 12V. To make up for that he has to put more on the 3.3V/5V rails which affect voltage regulation. If you look at HardOCP's review of the Corsair and the Revolution85+, regulation on the 3.3V and 5V rails is much better since he can keep the load on those rails to levels more representative of a normal computer.

Don't get me wrong, the Revo85+ is one of the best 1000W units you can buy, I just expected a little better regulation. If you look in the right places, the Corsair is ~$50 cheaper. I think they are both priced about where they should be. The Corsair is good enough for all but the most picky of people and those looking for the highest efficiency possible. The Enermax is fitting for those people at a reasonable price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h4rdcor3 View Post
Just look for the deals, I got my Enermax Modu82 525 for 85 after rebates. started off at 165.
That is a good price since it normally goes for ~$120. There are the occasional deals, but for the most part their mid and high-end PSUs are more expensive than their competitors.

·
Premium Member
10,491 Posts
Hurray for Enermax. I recently RMA'ed my 720W Infiniti because it had issues with not being able to turn off while plugged into my DFI LP JR motherboard. They sent a completely new one back to me in less than a week. It seems that the new one handles the Cool Guard function completely different and it works like a charm now.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Well it certainly sounds like its the best psu johnnyguru ever tested, but that soldering is the worst I ever ever seen in a highend product.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'll consider the 1250W Revolution model for my Sandy Bridge upgrade.

·
Senior Overclocker
5,131 Posts
its 370$ in my country lol ...
and i also see a 1250W model? which comes at 415$ .. facepalm for prices here in Romania
edit: just checked on the corsair hx1000 ... its 300$ lol the enermax is not worth it ... at least here

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stroker
View Post

I guess im wrong but i thought enermax was junk.

They've had some quality issues in the past but I certainly wouldn't call any of their units that I know of junk.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

291$?

pfff

If you spent the money on hardware that would make you realistically consider a 1kw power supply, $291 is going to be a drop in the bucket.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts