Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Posters on Cheap Ass Gamer who keep track of Xbox 360 hard drive installs noticed that those who'd been admitted to the dashboard update preview program were seeing games take up markedly less space than before (a fact later confirmed by Digital Foundry). How much smaller? Well, DF noticed that King of Fighters XII and Raiden Fighters Aces went from 3.4GB to 703 and 484MB respectively, post update.

By DF's approximation, the update allows the system to be more efficient in selecting what non-essential data it puts on the hard drive. Though that results in a big savings in some cases, there are exceptions. Fable 2, for example, is no smaller post-update, leading us to assume Lionhead needed every inch of the disc for all that GOTY material.

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
Hopefully GTA4 won't take 5 gigs anymore

·
Registered
515 Posts
i love the update. Faster browsing through the dashboard. Cleans it up nice. Also love the no buffering when fast forwarding through netflix.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtech1
View Post

i like that new source icon xD way better then that sauce garbage

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Nice. I have no space left on my drive because Skate 2 takes of around 6.6GB's. Hopefully it takes it down to like 2-3GB's.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
This is fantastic as I only have a 20GB hard drive on my 360. Got mine actually the month before they switched Pros to have 60GB x-x

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
From what Ive read it seems like it would have to but then again what would be the point if it were spinning still.I would hope better compression and not just "all of disk loaded to hd".

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Well, I do know for Optical Disks, when they are mastered, certain frequently used files are mirrored all over the disk so that seek times on them will be non-existant. This increases the disk space, but if you have 500mb free space after creating your game, you might as well load it up with mirrored files for faster seek times.

The first version of the 360's HDD installer probably made a perfect image of the disk, therefor taking up a lot of space. This new version must only copy original files from the disk, taking up less room, and maybe even employ on-the-fly compression too, since that can increases disk bandwidth considerably.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Yea I have no clue they did that but can only assume they just copy needed files, on the fly compression sounds good though haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts