Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
B.O.W
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The long and puzzling saga of the PS3's now removed backwards compatibility with PS2 games may have just added another chapter. Japanese tech site Gigazine recently uncovered a patent filed by Sony Japan in February 2009, which appears to outline an "adapter" that could serve as a bridge for older generation games (e.g., PS2 discs) to be played on current generation consoles (e.g., the PS3).
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/14/so...pter-surfaces/
Pic of patent in link

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr soft View Post
Way to go Sony , take out the hardware and sell it as an accessory.
That wont go down well , that´s if anyone still hung on to those PS2 games as it took a while for them to release this.
What did you expect. Sony were in the absolute pits when PS3's were first selling. They were making a loss on every console. They had to cut something and that was the PS2 emu chip.

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
If it's fairly cheap I will welcome this.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sony: When hardware isn't enough. When backwards compatibility isn't enough. When revisions aren't enough, sell them as accessories.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
why not just buy a slim ps2, you can get them incredibly cheap nowadays

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post
Glad I've got an original 60GB.
Yeah, My 60 gig is still going strong.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
What did you expect. Sony were in the absolute pits when PS3's were first selling. They were making a loss on every console. They had to cut something and that was the PS2 emu chip.
I'll be happy with a PS2 add-on, IF I can sell my PS2 for a price equal or close to what the add-on would cost.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
I'll be happy with a PS2 add-on, IF I can sell my PS2 for a price equal or close to what the add-on would cost.
PS2's don't go for any more than £20-£30 for just the console nowadays

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
My 60GB PS3 kicked the bucket two months ago. Had to pay $155 to replace it with a brand new 120GB PS3 Slim. More accessories that are deemed unnecessary.

·
15,777 Posts
My 60GB doesn't have the E.E chip and still plays PS2 games.
It's just a software thing why use extra accessories.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post
Glad I've got an original 60GB.
I used to say that I was glad I got my 20GB at launch, but the price of a PS3 Slim now with a much larger HDD plus a brand new PS2 Slim is still less than the $500 I spent on it.
Even worse now that it YLOD and I'm not paying $150 for a refurbished PS3 Slim, so $300 for a new PS3. $800 on PS3s, bleh.

If they price it right an add-on would be a great idea. In that PlayStation Blog section where people can make suggestions, PS2 BC is one of the top 3 I believe, and many say they'd gladly pay to get it back, including myself.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
There was no PS2 emulator chip. They actually had an emotion engine chip. There is no emulation when you are using the right hardware.

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
I would love this, just the ability to play ps2 games upscaled on HDTV's would be incredible. I would certeinly pay for something like this.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
My 60GB PS3 kicked the bucket two months ago. Had to pay $155 to replace it with a brand new 120GB PS3 Slim. More accessories that are deemed unnecessary.
If an original dies it gets replaces with a new slim?

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Better only be like 50$ max if they do release this. I would buy one if it is only 50$ though for sure in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts