Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. My parent's shelf stereo system is dying and I've decided to replace it as a Christmas gift to the family. Initially i wanted to just replace the stereo but I haven't been able to find anything like it.

Their needs are basic. Radio and CDs for the family/dining room. nothing else.

All the options i checked just wouldn't work. I thought about buying a home theater in a box setup but those don't have radio, are too expensive and my folks don't need all the extra connectivity (T.V. etc...)

My mom jokingly suggested that the best thing for them was a jukebox but that got me thinking. Why not? I thought about it and decided that i could build an htpc/jukebox and rip their entire music collection to hard drive. Not only that but since its going to be networked i'l be able to access my personal music library located on the desktop im currently using as will my sister with her laptop.

Basically all i need help with is to make sure my components are all good. My plan is to recycle an old motherboard and athlon 64 cpu that i pulled out of a rig i decommissioned last year. I also have an old 17" crt screen that i can use until i find a deal on a cheap lcd.

Case:Apevia X-Master
Networking:D-Link WDA-1320
Hard Drive:WD 160GB
CD:Lite-On

Speakers will be Logitech Z-2300 and the case comes with a power supply.

What do you guys think? This is old tech and im debating whether or not i should spend an extra $120 for a new motherboard and processor. That would allow me to have everything on SATA rather than IDE which is nice and it will run cooler and draw less power which again is nice. Also with the old board i cant trust the onboard sound whereas the new boards with the the HD Realtek audio sound fabulous and honestly i don't even know if the old board still works and i don't have a spare power supply to test it.

One last thing. Software. I need to know what kind of software is available for a project like this. I would prefer the system be a linux machine but i have XP available as well so I'l just take whichever software is most highly recomended. Is there any software around that emulates a jukebox style or am i stuck using WMP/itunes etc?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Sounds more like a general media server than just a jukebox? Personally, I would get a 740G mobo and a single core AMD for $75. If you want this hooked up to a TV (why not, all the features are there), get a 780G and a dual-core CPU for around $110

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Winamp is a good alternative to wmp, Ive seen alot of clubs in my local area, as well as party dj's using it, it could be good enough for your project, the best part is that its free.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Sounds more like a general media server than just a jukebox? Personally, I would get a 740G mobo and a single core AMD for $75. If you want this hooked up to a TV (why not, all the features are there), get a 780G and a dual-core CPU for around $110
I think you should take Duckie's recommendation; bite the bullet and go for the 780G and X2. Why?

After all, you are going to need a monitor to select what songs to play etc. Instead of having the clunky CRT or spending money to replace it with an LCD, use that extra money to buy HDTV ready components. This will give you the option to display pictures and put your movies on your "jukebox" in the future. You will also be able to buy a remote to control the music on screen and therefore not have a keyboard/mouse lying around connected.

As far as software goes, you can just use Vista Media Center for a nice big full screen display with large text and covers etc. There are plenty of plugins around for MCE too that will help you do all the things you might want.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Cheap-o mobo, cheap-o CPU, decent sound card. And that wireless card sucks, don't buy it. I had one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm pretty sure that once i move out of this house that my computers will be coming with me so being HD ready does make sense. Assuming i do go with a new mobo/cpu this is what i've come up with

Case remains the same and hard drive/cd burner just get switched to their sata version.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5000+

Mobo: Foxconn A7GM-S

Ram: Crucial 2GB DDR2 667

Wireless: GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS

Total shipped is just under $450 which is quite a bit more than i would like but i think i can manage

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts